IPhone/Apple TV issue since 8/2/18

doonze

First off, I own no Apple products, so I cannot test this myself. But last night 3 of my users contacted me asking if the server was down. All were using Apple, 2 Iphones and 1 Apple TV. I verified the server was working with Chrome, Android, and Roku. Both from inside and outside my network. 1 user was able to access the server fine from his Iphone browser. But all the apps said "Unable to connect to the sellected server".

My best guess at this moment is some update rolled on Apple side. I was expecting to come here today and see other reports. My only idea is maybe something with ports? I use reverse proxy and don't use ports outside my LAN. My users have reported having to specify a port on apple products. Port 0 or port 443 has worked for them in the past, but I'm wondering if something changed?

Tonight I'll be able to get with one of the users, and play with his setup and troubleshoot. I'll report back if I find root cause. At this time I'm just reporting this as an FYI of a problem I'm seeing, I can't see from my end how anything changing in my setup could only affect Apple products, but lack of other reports points back to something in my setup. I'm not saying this is an Emby issue, only throwing it out there as something weird going on.

All users had no issues till yesterday. they all have been long time users with no issues.

Sorry @@Luke, as I use reverse proxy this is not valid for my use case for troubleshooting. However, I did find some interesting things in the log, only coming from Apple products. These don't appear with any other apps. (And me and my users use many, and tested them all)

2018-09-02 02:44:29.850 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8096/emby/System/Endpoint. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 11_4_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/15G77
2018-09-02 02:44:29.851 Error HttpServer: Access token is invalid or expired.

Most of them are about wakeonlan and reflect my domain addresss, I included this one that seems to be from behind my proxy as well. Searching entire log, only the 3 affected Apple devices are getting this. 

I didn't mention it before, because searching here said "Don't worry, they will just be asked to log in". But after combing through the logs, these are the only related errors I have at all. Seems maybe on the Apple apps it's not asking them to relog in? And what would cause 3 users on 3 different devices on 3 different networks to get this? And only when using Apple apps?

Anyway, I'll have my users log out and back into their apps, and see if it solves the issue. But if that does work wonder why the apps aren't notifying them to log back in?

Also might be totally unrelated. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Just as a follow up, we figured out all users lost access after their Apple products upgraded to 1.5.7. Fix for both Iphone users was to uninstall and reinstall the app. I still don't know about the AppleTV user. But I don't think he's got it resolved as he hasn't logged in. He a friend of one of my users so I don't have direct contact for resolution.

There's really nothing that would have changed to affect that, but new updates have gone out so you could try those. Thanks.

• 3 years later...
blackhawkdriver

Have a 4k Apple TV. Ever since I upgraded to 1.5.7, which was released on 22 November 2021, I haven't been able to log in. Have tried deleting and reinstalling to no avail. Currently on TV OS 15.3 (19K547). Any ideas for a fix?

4 hours ago, blackhawkdriver said:

Have a 4k Apple TV. Ever since I upgraded to 1.5.7, which was released on 22 November 2021, I haven't been able to log in. Have tried deleting and reinstalling to no avail. Currently on TV OS 15.3 (19K547). Any ideas for a fix?

Hi there, what exactly happens when you try to log in?

blackhawkdriver
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what exactly happens when you try to log in?

It says the password is incorrect, even though it isn’t. Actually, the same thing applies to any iOS device. I’ll attach a screenshot. I’m able to log in with any web browser, but not with iOS or TV OS.

1BE99AB0-52CE-4DB7-BD98-D3086F356A26.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 4:59 AM, blackhawkdriver said:

It says the password is incorrect, even though it isn’t. Actually, the same thing applies to any iOS device. I’ll attach a screenshot. I’m able to log in with any web browser, but not with iOS or TV OS.

1BE99AB0-52CE-4DB7-BD98-D3086F356A26.png

@blackhawkdriver are you trying to sign in with your emby server credentials, or with emby connect?