.NET Core Package Test Programme for Synology/XPEnology

solabc16
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

poerlemans

@@solabc16

Good day James,

I would like to test the new beta version on my DS918+.

I have already the stable Emby version (3.5.3.0) running on this machine.

I understand that both a stable Emby version and a beta Emby version can be installed parallel to each other on the same machine. But that only one of both versions should run.

In case you expect that problems may arise, I can also install the beta version on a DS216+

Peter

AlwinHummels

Hi James,

Would like to test .NET 

Running DS415+ with Emby server Versie 3.6.0.2 beta

Hi, I'd like to test the new version aswell. I'm on a DS918+ user with 12GB of RAM. 

What can I expect to the .NET core version compared to the "regular" version?

solabc16

Hello @@oRBIT

There are a few drivers behind the move to .NET core, one of which is performance; which we expect to improve and continue to improve over time.

Having said that, it is likely to be workload specific and the performance gap to Mono has reduced, thanks to the collective community efforts.

The are efficiencies to be gained on the development side, as it makes support for various platforms a little easier and potentially more robust; see threads on the real-time monitoring as an example.

Best

- James

solabc16

Thanks for offering to help test the upcoming .NET Core release of Emby Server on Synology.

I've sent you an invite to the group.

* Please make sure to start at the beginning and read the first couple of posts on the PM!

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

solabc16

Hello @@Kalua85

Sorry, I didn't forget you. Thanks for your interest, I've added you to the list so I can update you.

We do not have a .NET Core package available for the 'evansport' architecture yet.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello @@EagleMitchell

Thanks for offering to help test the upcoming .NET Core release of Emby Server on Synology.

I've sent you an invite to the group.

* Please make sure to start at the beginning and read the first couple of posts on the PM!

Best
- James

Edited by solabc16

Hi,

I have a DS418play and would be happy to test a .NET release of Emby, which is used for many hours each day.

Regards

Alan

solabc16

Hello @@alanr

Thanks for offering to help, I've sent you an invite to the group - please make sure to start at the beginning and read the first couple of posts on the PM!

Best
- James

Spidey74

Hi James,

I recently upgraded to a DS918+ with 8GB of RAM and am very interested to test the .NET core as I am reinstalling everything here.

Can you please also add me to the test group for the apollolake version?

Regards,

Edwin

solabc16

Hello @@Spidey74

Sorry for the delay in responding, there was an issue introduced with beta 3.6.0.52 that we wanted to resolve before bringing any more testers on board.

Thanks for offering to help, I've sent you an invite to the group - please make sure to start at the beginning and read the first couple of posts on the PM!

Best
- James

Edited by solabc16

• 3 weeks later...
Everbrave

VA-API used to work well with DS918+, but now it is no longer available in this server version (3.6.0.58), what is the appropriate HW selection of the Decoding method for DS918+?

When is HW Encoding necessary to select, if at all?

Thanks

VA-API used to work well with DS918+, but now it is no longer available in this server version (3.6.0.58), what is the appropriate HW selection of the Decoding method for DS918+?

When is HW Encoding necessary to select, if at all?

Thanks

Server log? Thanks.

Everbrave

Server log? Thanks.

VA-API is not available as an option!

The server log is attached as well as screen shots for the Web-UI.

EDIT: I think the server lo I sent, log-11.txt, is from my Windows server, so please ignore this one.

post-262327-0-69707900-1541019973_thumb.png

post-262327-0-65964700-1541019987_thumb.png

Log-11.txt

Edited by Everbrave

solabc16

Hello @Everbrave 

As per the development/test thread, can you post a log from just after the server has started, so we can see the FFmpeg decoder/encoder detection.

Best

- James

Everbrave

Hello @Everbrave 

As per the development/test thread, can you post a log from just after the server has started, so we can see the FFmpeg decoder/encoder detection.

Best

- James

here you go :)

Log-13.txt

Log-12.txt

solabc16

Hello @@Everbrave

Unfortunately, these are still after a log rotation, rather than from when Emby Server is first started.

When convenient, the best thing to do will be to restart Emby Server - which you can do from the dashboard, then grab the most recent log.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

Everbrave

Hello @@Everbrave

Unfortunately, these are still after a log rotation, rather than from when Emby Server is first started.

When convenient, the best thing to do will be to restart Emby Server - which you can do from the dashboard, then grab the most recent log.

Best

- James

done; hope these help.

Log-14.txt

Log-15.txt

VA-API is not available as an option!

The server log is attached as well as screen shots for the Web-UI.

EDIT: I think the server lo I sent, log-11.txt, is from my Windows server, so please ignore this one.

This is rather a misunderstanding

There's no missing or dropped functionality

In the second screenshot you can see the "VAAPI H.264" encoder. That's all VAAPI support that has ever existed. 

Emby didn't have VAAPI accelerated decoding before.

(Don't believe? Go to the transcoding settings of an older Emby version; select QuickSync or Nvenc and see the decoder checkboxes; select VAAPI => no decoder checkboxes)

The only thing that is wrong here is that DXVA is shown.

This will be fixed in the next version.

PS: I can't make any announcements, but I can at least say that support for VAAPI decoding is under consideration ;-)

Everbrave

This is rather a misunderstanding

There's no missing or dropped functionality

In the second screenshot you can see the "VAAPI H.264" encoder. That's all VAAPI support that has ever existed. 

Emby didn't have VAAPI accelerated decoding before.

(Don't believe? Go to the transcoding settings of an older Emby version; select QuickSync or Nvenc and see the decoder checkboxes; select VAAPI => no decoder checkboxes)

The only thing that is wrong here is that DXVA is shown.

This will be fixed in the next version.

PS: I can't make any announcements, but I can at least say that support for VAAPI decoding is under consideration ;-)

Well, that is interesting :)

I, and many others, have been using VA-API for HW-transcoding and there are few threads on that; one is 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51051-is-ds718-and-ds918-units-supported-yet-for-hw-transcoding/page-3

where James also confirmed it.

So, there must be some misunderstanding, but which? :)

Nevertheless, getting back to the original question, Which HW-transcoding method should currently be selected for DS918+?

Thanks

Edited by Everbrave