Grouped movies in MBC

politby

politby

I have some Blu-rays with both 3D and 2D versions of the movie.

I used to store these as collections with each ISO in its own folder inside a parent [boxset] folder. Worked but kind of a kludge because it's not really a boxset in the real sense.

Now that MBS has the grouping feature I set them up as grouped instead. This is much more logical as it presents it as the same movie in 2 different versions.

But MBC (Chocolate theme) does not indicate there are 2 versions and it does not let me choose which one to play. In my case it picks the 3D version when I hit Play. Not sure how it arrives at that decision.

I really like the group feature but MBC needs to support it. I guess this will be theme dependent?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

That is a new feature in a version of the server that hasn't even been released yet.  It will take some time.

MBC isn't making the decision on which one, the server is.  Seems like it should probably be choosing the 2D one to be more compatible but I'm sure half the people would have the opposite opinion.

AdrianW

I thought that the current implementation of grouping was just for different encodes of the exact same content to help optimise streaming.

See this quote from this blog entry:

Please note this is intended for multiple encodings of the same content, and not grouping together editions like theatrical and director's cut. This feature is intended to be a performance optimization, but we may consider expanding it later.

politby

Understood but then one example listed shows a grouping of 3 versions of the movie "300" including the 3D version, so I figured I'd test just that...

In the case of MBC grouping probably makes more sense from an "edition" perspective than a performance optimization one, given that MBC users generally won't need to worry about not being able to play back the highest quality material.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by politby

• 2 months later...
denethor

Understood but then one example listed shows a grouping of 3 versions of the movie "300" including the 3D version, so I figured I'd test just that...

Sorry to resurrect but I thought that this topics fits my question.

Like quoted above I also think that using 3D example in the blog post does not fit to "performance optimisation intentions" :)

Anyway I would like to talk about another issue with the grouping. If you add two version of the movie in to group like in the blog post 3D example. 3D version looses it's ability to listed as 3D. I mean It is no longer listed individually in 3D movies section of MHT and not appears if you apply 3D filter in WEB view.

I'm thinking that movies should keep their individual attributes even if they have added in to group/collection. Because current grouping algorithms may effect possible future search capabilities, filters, sort metrics etc.

3D fits well with it actually. The idea is, same content, different encoding. Then your htpc configured for 3D can use that, everyone else can use the other encodings.

denethor

I was just joking about the 3D example please don't get me wrong.

What do you think other part of the question? If I add all my 3D movies in to groups with regular encoded ones I lost my 3D movies all over the places in the context of filtering.

By the way what do you mean that HTPC configured for 3D? I always thought that it was a display thing and user preference. Users should be the ones who decide what version to watch with the exception of transcoding involvement. Just my 2 cents.

...and I'm amazed with your prompt replies. Thanks for the effort.

Yes that's true. I guess for now that's an open issue. TBD later.

• Like 1