Update for Users on the Synology/XPEnology Beta Channel

solabc16

solabc16

Hello All

A quick update for you.

As you will likely have noticed, there haven't been any beta releases for a while. A lot of work has been going on behind the scenes, on both the Emby Server and Synology/XPEnology side.

On the Synology/XPEnology side we've been taking what we've learnt from bringing .NET Core to the platform and backporting that to the Mono release; there's also a few improvements that have gone the other way.

We've already achieved a good level of reliability and robustness, and this will move us forward again, as well as bring performance improvements to both the .NET Core (when released) and Mono versions.

The Mono based Synology/XPEnology betas for Emby Server will start appearing again over the next couple of days, so just bear with us and I'll post here as they become available. The recently released 'denverton' version of Emby Server and the updated 'broadwellnk' release are both taking advantage of the improvements.

'denverton' : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62040-emby-server-now-available-for-rs2818rp-rs2418rs2418rp-and-ds1618-denverton/

'broadwellnk' : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62073-updated-emby-server-now-available-for-fs1018-and-ds3018xs-broadwellnk/

As always, thanks for your help with testing and look forward to your feedback.

Best

- James

• Like 2

solabc16

Hello All

Betas are now available again for the following platforms:-

• avoton
  • braswell
  • broadwellnk
  • cedarview
  • denverton

More will become available tomorrow, starting with 'bromolow'. If you're not sure which architecture your machine is based on, Synology have a good reference here: https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

Best
- James
Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

solabc16

Updated betas for the following platforms are now available also:-

• apollolake
  • bromolow
  • grantley

Refer to the link above, if you are not sure which architecture your machine is based on.

Best

- James

• Like 1

Apollolake, where is it? I would like to try the .NET version

EDIT : Nevermind, just got notification of 3.6.0.39 beta

Edited by kyrios

• 2 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello All

As we start to consolidate the development and test efforts across a couple of programmes, there is now a new beta package (3.6.0.45-beta) available for all Intel x64 based machines.

• apollolake
  • avoton
  • braswell
  • broadwellnk
  • broadwell
  • bromolow
  • cedarview
  • denverton
  • grantley
  • x64
Please keep the feedback coming...

Best
- James
  • Like 1

solabc16

Hello All

If anybody is running (or willing to run) beta releases on 'rtd1296' based machines - DS118 / DS218 / DS218play / DS418j / DS418, please can you get in touch here.

We have an updated build for this platform with a number of improvements, but need a little bit more field testing before making it available on the stable channel.

Best

- James

solabc16

Thanks to @@garvinw73, we've now managed to validate the updated package on 'rtd1296' (arm64) machines and should be able to make the latest stable (along with beta releases) available shortly.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

solabc16

Hello All

The updated package and latest beta (3.6.0.47-beta) is now available for machines based on the following architectures:-

x86-64

• apollolake
  • avoton
  • braswell
  • broadwellnk
  • broadwell
  • bromolow
  • cedarview
  • denverton
  • grantley
  • x64

AArch64

• rtd1296

Best

- James

• Like 1

EagleMitchell

I am running a DS218+ (Like the 218, but with an upgradable RAM slot running 6GB total.)  I would be interested in helping out with some testing.

Edited by EagleMitchell

Hello All

The updated package and latest beta (3.6.0.47-beta) is now available for machines based on the following architectures:-

Best

- James

Hi @@solabc16,

FYI, Package Center on the DS918+ is not offering up an update to the 3.6.0.47-beta. The Emby dashboard identifies that it is available.  But Package Center still shows 3.6.0.46-Beta as being the most recent .NETcore version available.

Regards 

DarWun

solabc16

Hi @@DarWun

The .NETcore version is running on a different schedule, as it has differing priorities, there are some notes early on in the PM.

This thread is specifically for the 'regular' beta channel, supporting the current Mono based package.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

Hi @@DarWun

The .NETcore version is running on a difference schedule, as it has differing priorities, there are some notes early on in the PM.

This thread is specifically for the 'regular' beta channel, supporting the current Mono based package.

Best

- James

Thanks for the quick response @@solabc16. And whoops...I got my threads mixed up. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

DarWun

Edited by DarWun

Hello All

AArch64

• rtd1296

Best

- James

Hi solabc16,

Why not naming Realtek RTD1296 as ARMv8? Just like Synology classify this SOC

solabc16

Hello @@kyrios

This is a slightly more development oriented thread and the somewhat dry answer, to paraphrase is "AArch64 is the 64-bit state introduced in the Armv8-A architecture (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#ARMv8-A). The 32-bit state which is backwards compatible with Armv7-A and previous 32-bit Arm architectures is referred to as AArch32. Therefore the GNU triplet for the 64-bit ISA is aarch64."

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

solabc16

Hello @@EagleMitchell

Thanks for the offer, the most helpful focus for testing at this point is with the upcoming .NETcore release.

Details here : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62285-net-core-package-test-programme-for-synologyxpenology/

If you're interested, let me know and I'll add you to the test programme.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello @EagleMitchell

I'm guessing this was the thread your response related to (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63219-another-scan-media-server-crash-topic/?p=627845).

The underlying technology shouldn't play too great a part (if at all) as far as package testing is concerned.

At this stage, we now have an equivalent Emby Server package that targets .NET Core as the runtime, instead of testing.

So the primary aim of the test programme is to make sure there are no issues with functionality and we achieve the same level of stability, before releasing to the stable channel.

Best

- James

EagleMitchell

Hello @EagleMitchell

I'm guessing this was the thread your response related to (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63219-another-scan-media-server-crash-topic/?p=627845).

The underlying technology shouldn't play too great a part (if at all) as far as package testing is concerned.

At this stage, we now have an equivalent Emby Server package that targets .NET Core as the runtime, instead of testing.

So the primary aim of the test programme is to make sure there are no issues with functionality and we achieve the same level of stability, before releasing to the stable channel.

Best

- James

Sounds good, I would be happy to help then if it does not require too much programming knowledge and if the Premier Key still works with it to get the premier features.  Is it an in-place upgrade or do I have to re-build meta and libraries?

I am an IT Network Admin, so I do understand the networking side of things, I just am not a programmer.  If you feel my skills or input would be beneficial, I would be happy to help.

solabc16
Hello All

The (almost) latest beta (3.6.0.51-beta) is now available for all supported Synology machines.

We'll be catching up with the XPEnology releases over the weekend.

Best

- James

• 1 month later...
solabc16

Hello All

The (almost) latest Mono based beta (3.6.0.65-beta) is now available for all supported Synology machines.

In addition, XPEnology betas are now available again for the following variants:-

• xpenology
  • xpen-core2
  • xpen-core2-sse41

Best

- James

• Like 1

solabc16
Hello All

The latest Mono based beta (3.6.0.67-beta) is now available for all supported Synology machines.

In addition, XPEnology betas are now available again for all supported variants:-

• xpenology
  • xpen-core2-sse41
  • xpen-core2
  • xpen-sandybridge
  • xpen-westmere
  • xpen-haswell
  • xpen-barcelona

Support for additional requested architectures will be coming soon, I'll post details here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/40411-xpenology-users-read-me/

Best

- James