Removing devices

Garypo10

Garypo10

Hi,

How do I go about removing devices linked to my account?

I’ve looked everywhere. I moved over from plex where there was a simple option. I can’t seem to find one in Emby. Can anyone help????

Garypo10

I take it there’s no way to delete them now then? Also how do I send invites out to share my Emby with someone?. I can’t seem to find that in my account at all

PenkethBoy

No - even if you delete them from the server dashboard thats only till they reconnect and not related to your licence key usage

Have a read of the wiki's and search the forum re what counts as a device in you 15 for a standard licence

Happy2Play

I take it there’s no way to delete them now then? Also how do I send invites out to share my Emby with someone?. I can’t seem to find that in my account at all

Dashboard-Users-"+" button  Click Help to go to the wiki.

PenkethBoy

Thats a list of devices that have connected not the same as active devices - towards your lic count

If you want to reduce the 252 list you will need to delete them

arrbee99

Fair enough, but I still can't persuade myself to sit here and delete say 240 of them one by one, unless there's a mass delete option somewhere.

Btw, is there a list of active devices somewhere - I presume not. I imagine one that lists them would be quite handy, as the OP could perhaps testify, but then again, I've survived without one so far...

darkassassin07

Wait, so If I have 15 devices on my account and someone gets a new phone. They have to wait 2 weeks for the old one to timeout before they can start using it with emby?

arrbee99

Fair enough, but I still can't persuade myself to sit here and delete say 240 of them one by one, unless there's a mass delete option somewhere.

Btw, is there a list of active devices somewhere - I presume not. I imagine one that lists them would be quite handy, as the OP could perhaps testify, but then again, I've survived without one so far...

Click on the three dots, click delete, move the mouse, click delete again. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Wait, so If I have 15 devices on my account and someone gets a new phone. They have to wait 2 weeks for the old one to timeout before they can start using it with emby?

No, it would be just a few days but that's why our standard license is 15 - because that is really more than just a single household will require which gives us some wiggle room for this type of situation.  Very, very, few true single household users have any problem with the device limit.

• 3 weeks later...

A family of 4 (2 kids) can easily have 4 TV sets. Each probably has a computer, a tablet and smart phone.  The device itself can use multiple Premier IDs even though it's a single device.

If you have a computer with the Windows Store app installed, Emby theater and use a Web browser to access your server that computer will use multiple IDs.

If you happen to have a TV like I do (Samsung) and have the app installed on it and have an Xbox One as well as a Shield TV or Roku with Emby installed on connected to that "TV", it is using 3 licenses due to Emby being installed on each of the devices using the TV for output.

Not to mention that when a device gets an OS update that device may count as 2 devices for a period of time.

https://emby.media/premiereterms.html

"A "Premiere Device" is defined as any mobile, computer, or other electronic device which registers with the Emby server with a unique "device id". The device id is a uniquely generated id that is dependent on both device model, OS version, and application. Each unique device id shall be counted as a separate Device. It is possible that a single machine (whether mobile, desktop computer, or otherwise) with multiple applications installed on the machine may register as a new device id per application. In this event, each unique device id will be counted as separate devices."

15 devices can be cutting it very close in today's world of electronic devices we all use without thinking about it.  If you hit the 15 device ceiling take a look at your uses and "standardize" on specific access methods per device or TV set and remove apps you don't really need.

This matrix might be helpful: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Premiere-Feature-Matrix

"Friends is when things can fall apart fast"

One of the things I dislike, is you could give access to a friend who sets up access on his TV, Roku, Xbox, Computer, Tablet and Smartphone and use up lots of your IDs.  Then when you (paid premier user) go to add a new device of your own, can't without having to purchase a license. If said friend uses your server from these different devices he keeps the license active on those devices.

I myself would much prefer a simultaneous use license.  So for example 10 devices could use my server at one time regardless of how many devices the software is installed on. Or for us to have the ability to determine what users can/can't use an Emby Premier device license.  IE my friend can use my server for content, but not my license count.  He can spend $5 for a purchased license.

Obviously there is no right or wrong way to license clients and if you ask 10 people how to do it you could get 10 different methods!

A family of 4 (2 kids) can easily have 4 TV sets. Each probably has a computer, a tablet and smart phone.  The device itself can use multiple Premier IDs even though it's a single device.

If you have a computer with the Windows Store app installed, Emby theater and use a Web browser to access your server that computer will use multiple IDs.

If you happen to have a TV like I do (Samsung) and have the app installed on it and have an Xbox One as well as a Shield TV or Roku with Emby installed on connected to that "TV", it is using 3 licenses due to Emby being installed on each of the devices using the TV for output.

Not to mention that when a device gets an OS update that device may count as 2 devices for a period of time.

https://emby.media/premiereterms.html

"A "Premiere Device" is defined as any mobile, computer, or other electronic device which registers with the Emby server with a unique "device id". The device id is a uniquely generated id that is dependent on both device model, OS version, and application. Each unique device id shall be counted as a separate Device. It is possible that a single machine (whether mobile, desktop computer, or otherwise) with multiple applications installed on the machine may register as a new device id per application. In this event, each unique device id will be counted as separate devices."

15 devices can be cutting it very close in today's world of electronic devices we all use without thinking about it.  If you hit the 15 device ceiling take a look at your uses and "standardize" on specific access methods per device or TV set and remove apps you don't really need.

This matrix might be helpful: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Premiere-Feature-Matrix

"Friends is when things can fall apart fast"

One of the things I dislike, is you could give access to a friend who sets up access on his TV, Roku, Xbox, Computer, Tablet and Smartphone and use up lots of your IDs.  Then when you (paid premier user) go to add a new device of your own, can't without having to purchase a license. If said friend uses your server from these different devices he keeps the license active on those devices.

I myself would much prefer a simultaneous use license.  So for example 10 devices could use my server at one time regardless of how many devices the software is installed on. Or for us to have the ability to determine what users can/can't use an Emby Premier device license.  IE my friend can use my server for content, but not my license count.  He can spend $5 for a purchased license.

Obviously there is no right or wrong way to license clients and if you ask 10 people how to do it you could get 10 different methods!

This is all speculation on what you think could happen.

As I try to say every time this comes up - almost NONE of our true home users have any problem with the current device limits :).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's speculation because this has never been explained in a way that is clear and concise. :)

But am I wrong in that speculation of what COULD happen? Can one user not suck up multiple licenses?  Can one device such as a computer not be responsible for multiple licenses being used?  Can one "friend" you give access to not suck up a few of your licenses and now cause the admin to have to purchase a device specific license or not get premier functionality on his new devices?

Some of these things may not happen often to a normal family but they do happen.

Some of these things may not happen often to a normal family but they do happen.

Point me to a case of someone having this issue and we will deal with it.

I've had it happen to people I help ebr.  Never happened to me.  Think (but not sure) it's been mentioned here in the forums as well.

It's good to not to contact you guys if this happens.  Good enough.

crunchprank

Hello,

Been loving Emby so I decided to buy the Premiere just now. I'm having a few issues with the Devices though, and instead of opening a new topic I figured I'd bump this similar one. Let me know if I should open another however.

Basically when I log into my Emby server, and click on Devices, I see 14 different devices. These are all (excluding one) just Chrome/Browsers. So I have a couple questions regarding this:

1) Are these the devices that are allotted to my 15 device limit?

2) How do I delete the devices from this page? When I click the three dots on the bottom corner, I only get the option to edit the device. Then when I click on edit, I can only change the name. I have some there from two months ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PenkethBoy

Hi

No they are not related to your limit of 15 - just the devices that you have used with Emby at some point - and browsers dont count towards your limit anyway - i suggest you search on that here as there are several looooong threads on it

In both beta and stable i can delete all devices apart from the current browser login - i.e. they all come up as edit and delete - what version of the server are you on - as IIRC at one point you could not delete devices

crunchprank

Hi

No they are not related to your limit of 15 - just the devices that you have used with Emby at some point - and browsers dont count towards your limit anyway - i suggest you search on that here as there are several looooong threads on it

In both beta and stable i can delete all devices apart from the current browser login - i.e. they all come up as edit and delete - what version of the server are you on - as IIRC at one point you could not delete devices

Thanks for the reply - glad to know they aren't part of my device limit.

As far as not being able to delete devices, I'm not sure what my issue could be. I'm running the most current version (3.5.3.0)

thGlEC3.png

FllATdt.png

• 4 months later...

I have some former Kodi clients that can not be deleted in the dashboard ... all devices were not used for at least 2 months.

I click on delete but they do not disappear. How can I proceed here?