Roku 3 reboots when direct playing movies

tonyduane
Go to solution Solved by tonyduane,

tonyduane

Recently my Roku started to reboot when direct streaming movies.  TV Shows seem to work fine, and if I use the Emby Neon Blue app and force transcode it plays fine.  I sent the log from the Emby Roku app at 7:15PM EST on 8/27/2018.  I have attached the Emby Server logs also.  These movies have always played without issue, and I started seeing the reboots in the last 2 weeks.  My Roku is completely up to date, and I am on the latest stable version of Emby Server.  I am running Ubuntu 18.04LTS, Emby is installed there to a solid state drive.  I have a 1TB raid on the server and that is set as the Download and Sync directory with full permissions(chmod -R 7777).  There is a /home/emby folder that is owned by emby:users with 7777 permissions.  That folder is used for Cache, Metadata, and Transcode folders.  I have a nas (OpenMediaVault) running a ZFS raid and shared out through NFS.  This location is also mapped to my server.  The media files and subtitle files are stored there and added to Emby by mounted dir on the Emby server, and the NFS share as the network location.  The NAS share has full read/write for all users, and I have gone through and reapplied permissions to all files and folders just in case it was a permissions issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I completed a log file rotation, reproduced the issue, pulled the server log, and sent the Roku app log.  I was trying to watch Peter Rabbit.  This happens with a lot of the movies I try to stream, I notice that most of the movies are MKV.  It looks like Peter Rabbit had been converted to TV format(Download and Sync) at 4mbps and I see that version referenced in the log file.  I did enable the debugging logging in Emby before reproducing but honestly I don't see much in the way of an error message.  Hopefully the Roku log will have more information?  I was logged in as the user Anthony when the error occurred.

On an unrelated note, I am an Emby Premiere member and I really appreciate all the hard work and effort you have put into this application.  This app has been worth every dollar spent.  I have had very few issues since I started using Emby about 3 years ago and when I have had a problem Luke and the rest of the community has always been very willing to help.  Thanks again.

emby-server-log.txt

Edited by tonyduane

Hi there, can you please attach the complete emby server log as this is only a snippet? Thanks !

tonyduane

@@Luke

It was not a snippet.  I went into Emby Server Dashboard and rotated the log file under scheduled tasks.  Then I played the movie, duplicated the error, and then saved the log file.  I thought by doing the log file rotation I would have a fresh clean log and keep you from having to sort through a bunch of irrelevant stuff.  I did already have the Emby app open on Roku when I did the log file rotation.  When I get home from work I will clear the log again with the Emby app not opened on the Roku and go through the error reproduction again and repaste the log.  I did try playing the same movie on a different model of Roku in my house and it played just fine.  I also tried to factory reset my Roku 3 and reinstalled everything and the issue still persists.

tonyduane

Okay, so I reproduced the issue again.  This time, 2 of the movies that were causing a reboot played without issue.  I was logged in as user Anthony and after going through 3 movies I found one that caused a reboot.  It was Sweeney Todd.  See logs attached.  This time there were 2 server logs and a transcode file, so I imagine the 2 movies that played transcoded(since my issue seems to be isolated to direct play)... which doesn't make sense because I have multiple versions of the movies through the Download and Sync feature so it should have direct streamed one of the already converted versions of the movie.

EDIT: looks like the transcode was because there were some tasks running.  It had nothing to do with the playback.

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63671076124.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-6a7fcf95-f956-40aa-972f-96b613051440.txt

Edited by tonyduane

tonyduane

@@Luke yes my Roku firmware is up to date.  Version 8.1.0 Build 4145-04.  Emby is version 3.5.2.0 and Linux is Ubuntu 18.04.1, also completely up to date.

• 2 weeks later...
tonyduane

I sent an in-app log on 8/27/2018 at 7:15PM EST.  When I get home from work today I will reproduce the issue and send another in app log along with new debugging logs from the server to you.  For what it is worth, when I use the Emby Blue app and tell it to "Force Transcoding" it will instead direct play the movie and does not reboot.  Telling the Emby Blue app to Direct Play will cause a reboot.  The regular Emby app tries to direct play and reboots.  I also noticed this issue seems to be isolated solely to Movies and never happens with any of my TV shows.

Edited by tonyduane

to "Force Transcoding" it will instead direct play the movie and does not reboot.

You mean it will instead transcode right? 

This sounds like a Roku video player problem to me. The Roku claims to support the file, but crashes when we try to play it. Unfortunately transcoding is probably the only workaround. And then it should be reported to Roku so that they can resolve it via firmware update.

tonyduane

Lol I can see why you would think that was a typo, but no, when I tell it to force transcode in the Emby Blue app it direct plays the file, and does not transcode it, and the Roku does not reboot. But if I tell it to force direct play, it crashes and reboots. And this only happens on the Roku 3 hd. I have one of the mini little ones that are WiFi only and I cannot reproduce the issue on that one.

Edited by tonyduane

You mean it will instead transcode right? 

This sounds like a Roku video player problem to me. The Roku claims to support the file, but crashes when we try to play it. Unfortunately transcoding is probably the only workaround. And then it should be reported to Roku so that they can resolve it via firmware update.

It will transcode with full direct stream, and copy both streams. But still the server will show this as "Direct Stream" .. maybe the server gets confused and shows direct play? Possible I suppose. But when you "force transcode" in BNN it is copy first, and only is trying not to copy if the codec wasn't supported or the user chooses "force transcode w/o stream copy". So you are both technically right. It is transcode, but direct. :)

@@tonyduane

If the roku reboots playing the file this should be reported to roku with a short sample.

Somewhere along the lines of: ffmpeg -i file.ext -t 20 test-file.ext

Where -t is the amount of seconds to sample. Then add this test-file and try to force direct and replicate the reboot. If you could post that file here, via some website where you can upload it, dropbox,googledrive,etc. then it is possible to forward to roku and get some dialog started on their end. Can also use it to run some in-house tests to confirm your issue if we had the test-file to try. Having this will speed up resolution on both sides roku/emby. Also need your model number of roku to confirm to roku the issue so they can reproduce. Also the firmware version being reported by that roku.

NOTE: if the roku weren't rebooting and instead throwing an error or closing the video player the fallback mechanism built into both apps would work correctly and resume playback with transcoding automagically.

Edited by speechles

• 10 months later...
tonyduane

This issue was never resolved.  I finally quit working on fixing it, and just used the Emby Blue Neon Night app to force transcode on everything to get it to play.  Recently I bought an Amazon FireTV and it does not have the Blue Neon Night app as an option.  When I connect to my server with IP and try to play any media, if it tries to direct play it hangs and crashes the app.  It shows it is playing it on the dashboard.  I can direct stream just fine, but I cannot direct play anything.  My media is located on a ZFS software raid on a separate server and it is shared with my Emby server with NFS.  I cannot find a way to make it not direct play leaving me unable to play most of my media.  Noone outside of my network has this problem!  I tried connecting to my server by URL instead of IP on the FireTV but it just immediately fails to connect to the server.  Any suggestions?  

Have you tried lowering the in-app quality setting to force more transcoding?

tonyduane

I just tried that and all the videos play, but it makes them look pretty crappy on my 4K tv...  I just cannot figure out what the problem is with direct play.  Direct stream works, so it has to be something with the app directly accessing my media over the NFS share.

tonyduane

I don't know what I did but I finally got the fallback to work. So it tries to load for maybe 60 seconds, then switches to transcode-direct stream and plays. Stats for nerds shows it fails with a direct play error. How can I see this error and what exactly is failing?

post-215314-0-49459700-1563408174_thumb.jpg

The Roku does not support NFS. You need to make sure you use UNC paths to your files. Are you using direct (NFS) paths to files in your Emby library settings? If so convert them to UNC paths and remove the NFS path. Emby works best with UNC paths to the files. Then everything should just click and start to work.

tonyduane

Okay, I removed the optional shared path, and added the SMB path to one of my libraries.  I removed the NFS path.  The UNC path is \\192.168.1.4\Main_Pool\emby\Kids Movies.  After this change, when I try to access the library, it crashes Emby server.  Log in terminal shows:

● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Wed 2019-07-17 20:58:24 EDT; 8s ago
  Process: 21729 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=SEGV)
 Main PID: 21729 (code=killed, signal=SEGV)

Jul 17 20:53:23 uranus.ooguy.com emby-server[21729]: Info App: Starting entry point EmbyServer.Windows.LoopUtilEntryPoint
Jul 17 20:53:23 uranus.ooguy.com emby-server[21729]: Info App: Entry point completed: EmbyServer.Windows.LoopUtilEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0021897 seconds
Jul 17 20:53:23 uranus.ooguy.com emby-server[21729]: Info App: All entry points have started
Jul 17 20:53:23 uranus.ooguy.com emby-server[21729]: Application started. Press Ctrl+C to shut down.
Jul 17 20:53:23 uranus.ooguy.com emby-server[21729]: Hosting environment: Production
Jul 17 20:53:23 uranus.ooguy.com emby-server[21729]: Content root path: /opt/emby-server/system/
Jul 17 20:58:22 uranus.ooguy.com EmbyServer[21729]: Not replacing existing, living, managed instance with new object.
Jul 17 20:58:23 uranus.ooguy.com EmbyServer[21729]: Not replacing existing, living, managed instance with new object.
Jul 17 20:58:24 uranus.ooguy.com systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Jul 17 20:58:24 uranus.ooguy.com systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

I have attached my log files from Emby server.  I enabled debugging and cleared the logs before reproducing the error.

The paths that I am currently using for the libraries is a local path, but it is a local folder with the NFS share mounted to it with autofs.  When I reverted the library back to this path, it stopped crashing Emby server.  The SMB path I used has guests enabled, so I am able to browse there and access files without a username and password.

EDIT: I also notice that when you use the main path as a unc path, it also adds a SMB:// path to the library.  You cannot see it in the path list, until you remove the UNC path and then it appears.

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63698993602.txt

Edited by tonyduane

• Solution
tonyduane

I was able to resolve this issue by changing my AutoFS mount from:

/datastore/NAS -fstype=nfs,rw 192.168.1.4:/export/Main_Pool

to

/datastore/NAS -fstype=cifs,rw,guest,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 ://192.168.1.4/Main_Pool

Now I can just point my libraries at /datastore/NAS/emby/LIBRARY_FOLDER_NAME and everything plays and all the errors are gone.  

• Like 1