NVidia Shield Android TV Stuttering only by 2 Movies

mikeB2210

Yes i have tried with different settings in the shield menu but nothing changes in this situation.

Exactly what did you try here?

I just went over to the menu in the OSD during playback, selected it, selected display mode and then changed to 1080/24 (which had an * next to it because it matched the video) and all stuttering went away.

Did you do that?

rechner123

I have tried 720/50 1080/50 1080/24 ,...

In the playback settings i have enable/disabled refresh rate switching.

Tried prefer exact refresh rate.

My osd display mode shows also 1080/24 with * and this is selected. Here i have tried different.

If i prefer exact refresh rate then it shows me 1080/23.98 with *

rechner123

Now i have installed archos video player on my shield and set them in emby as external player.

Testet with Pets Movie. Enabled refresh rate switching and hdmi audio passthrough in the player settings.

The video plays correct with 24fps and DD+(with atmos) without stutter!

I am not sure if in my case the stuttering with emby is related to the correct frame rate switching.

I'm sorry but I really don't know.  Something is wonky with the audio streams but I was able to solve it by switching the display mode.

rechner123

So you mean that my files are broken?

I have tried many different sources!

Why does other player software(vlc,archos) and notebook play it correct?

emuchris

I've been getting stuttering on Android tv box I own with s905w.  I've fixed it by turning surround sound to "always" from auto, do you think you can try that?

Certain files always stutter and buffer without this option set, yet identically encoded files dont stutter mysteriously.

Edited by emuchris

emuchris

Actually I've found I had to have it set to "Line" as well I believe for the DTS mode, and SPDIF passthrough.  As well as having surround set to always.  I really cant figure out why it works, its as if some sort of audio processing goes on that lags it, even though I'm going out on a 3.5mm jack

Edited by emuchris

maegibbons

Hi ebr

Sorry for late response!

Yes i have tried with different settings in the shield menu but nothing changes in this situation.

I have buyed two new xiaomi mix-boxes and have also tried with this. The same stutter problem as with the nvidia shield!

Today i have tried the mi-box at a newer Samsung TV F-Series but without AVR.

With this TV the Movies plays fine without stutter. (Direct Play!)

Does the two players sending something to my Samsung E Series that can´t be played or decoded?

If i should try something other situation, please tell me.

Thank you

So it would appear this issue is purely with the Samsung E series TV?

Krs

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
rechner123

Hi

So it would appear this issue is purely with the Samsung E series TV?

Krs

Mark

Today i have tried with a new LOEWE TV instead of my Samsung E Series in my setting with my avr and shield.

Same stutter of video as with my samsung. Checked also avr settings. Hdmi Video Mode is set to Bypass.

So my samsung seems not to be the problem!

Installed shield experience update 7.2

No changes in my situation.

Tried again with external player, archos video player.

No stutter!

One thing i noticed in the player info with archos player. At file info it shows EAC3 with stereo?

But it plays the video fine with atmos!

emuchris

You could try with a web-browser, I think the emby app sucks and doesnt listen to quality settings.  I'm currently using the brave browser for Android, with quality turned down to 5mbps, and havent had any issues since.

Edited by emuchris

• 2 weeks later...
rechner123

You could try with a web-browser, I think the emby app sucks and doesnt listen to quality settings.  I'm currently using the brave browser for Android, with quality turned down to 5mbps, and havent had any issues since.

i don't want to use a browser and don't wan't to reduce quality by transcoding!

rechner123

So today i made my own mkv from bluray. Pets (The Secret Life of Pets)

Made them with makemkv. No transcoding.

Same problem!

rechner123

You mean if it does make a difference if i select audio track before playback? NO!

If i start with dd, then the video is smooth. Change to dd+ while playback results in stutter.

When i start with dd+, the video stutter. Change to dd while playback result in smooth playback.

Edited by rechner123

• 2 weeks later...

It might be, because Emby client doesn't have a setting which exists for example in KODI. It's a setting where You can only enable passthrough for formats your device (soundbar, amp) supports. I have similar issue with DD+. My soundbar only supports DD and DTS, so Emby server get's an info that DD+ needs to be transcoded. Ideal behaviour would be, that if video is DD/DTS then sound will be passed through, but if it's something else - it should be handled by Nvidia Shield and passed as PCM to audio device. This way we're delegating eventual audio handling to Shield, and server doesn't care for this device.

I suppose, that your case is that you have shield and AMP both connected to TV. Passing anything higher than DTS through TV is against licence - HDMI-ARC only supports DD and DTS. Because of that server "thinks" that your device doesn't support DD+

It might be, because Emby client doesn't have a setting which exists for example in KODI. It's a setting where You can only enable passthrough for formats your device (soundbar, amp) supports. I have similar issue with DD+. My soundbar only supports DD and DTS, so Emby server get's an info that DD+ needs to be transcoded. Ideal behaviour would be, that if video is DD/DTS then sound will be passed through, but if it's something else - it should be handled by Nvidia Shield and passed as PCM to audio device. This way we're delegating eventual audio handling to Shield, and server doesn't care for this device.

I suppose, that your case is that you have shield and AMP both connected to TV. Passing anything higher than DTS through TV is against licence - HDMI-ARC only supports DD and DTS. Because of that server "thinks" that your device doesn't support DD+

Hi.  We already only pass thru formats that the device reports support for so we don't need a setting here.

rechner123

No, this is not the problem! My shield is connected to the avr.

My AVR supports DD+ and it is working but not with emby app internal player.

Hi.  We already only pass thru formats that the device reports support for so we don't need a setting here.

I've read more about the topic, and it seems, that Shield is superb device ... if your audio receiver supports all modern formats. Shield itself doesn't have license to transcode DD+ to DD, so server does it (because my Soundbar, nor Shield supports DD+). For me it's insane, that Shield won't allow surround sound for users with AVR/Soundbars which has only DD/DTS ... this means that I'm out from this thread - I was in false impression, that Shield is poverfull, well supported device which can transcode non supported streams into PCM surround, but it seems that it's not.

• 9 months later...