Getting metadata for movie made from TV series

PBzeer

PBzeer

Recently picked up a few movies, made from TV series's, where the only metadata that comes up is for the series, not the movie. Any ideas (short of manually changing the data)?

What does "the only metadata that comes up" mean?  Where?

How did you define them, as movies or TV series?  Meaning what file structure are they and what is the type of the Media Folder they are within?

Koleckai Silvestri

I have a few where the movie is multiple episodes of a television series. I treat them just like television series and name the file like any other multiple episode file. Metadata collection works this way.

PBzeer

I defined them as movies, as they are a stand alone DVD, not an episode or episode compilation. As an example of what I'm describing (though not a problem one) Serenity (movie) and Firefly (the series from which it is drawn, which has Serenity as an episode). In this example Serenity has a separate IMDb number from Firefly. My problems do not have a separate IMDb number from the series.

Folder structure is same as all other movies.

We don't lookup information on IMDb although we can use the IMDb id to lookup information on other sites.

So, if it is a movie, make sure it has the proper TMDb id.  Also make sure it is being recognized as a movie (does it show up in the "Movies" view)?

BATTLE DONKEY

Using your example of serenity & firefly, u can either set up serenity as a standalone movie because it has its own tmdb id OR u can set it up as a special in a "Season 0" folder because it is also listed on the tvdb as special (episode #s0e01).... Looking forward to being able to link TV shows to movies from within the server so that movies like these can show up in both the movies and TV shows tabs.

Do a search on tmdb or tvdb and u can probably find whatever TV show movies u are looking for and set them up in wherever u want afterwards. I have a few TV Show movies like that eg. Batman (1960's), Serenity, 24:Redemption

PBzeer

Yes, it shows up in Movies, but when you use the Identify function in the editor, it returns nothing. Nor have I manually found a TMDb number for it.

PBzeer

Using your example of serenity & firefly, u can either set up serenity as a standalone movie because it has its own tmdb id OR u can set it up as a special in a "Season 0" folder because it is also listed on the tvdb as special (episode #s0e01).... Looking forward to being able to link TV shows to movies from within the server so that movies like these can show up in both the movies and TV shows tabs.

Do a search on tmdb or tvdb and u can probably find whatever TV show movies u are looking for and set them up in wherever u want afterwards. I have a few TV Show movies like that eg. Batman (1960's), Serenity, 24:Redemption

Thing is, I don't have a TV folder, as I don't have a TV to record from, nor buy TV on disc. (I live on a boat)

Koleckai Silvestri

Looking forward to being able to link TV shows to movies from within the server

You can do this with the Collection features that were added a couple versions ago. 

Edited by Wayne Luke

Koleckai Silvestri

I defined them as movies, as they are a stand alone DVD, not an episode or episode compilation. As an example of what I'm describing (though not a problem one) Serenity (movie) and Firefly (the series from which it is drawn, which has Serenity as an episode). In this example Serenity has a separate IMDb number from Firefly. My problems do not have a separate IMDb number from the series.

Folder structure is same as all other movies.

I have "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan" that fits into this category and it has to be specified as a television show to be identified properly. So does the Syfy movie "Caprica" which is the first two episodes of the series but was sold as a separate movie as well.

Koleckai Silvestri

Hmm... I am not sure then. Works for me when it is set to the TV Shows media type.

PBzeer

I have "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan" that fits into this category and it has to be specified as a television show to be identified properly. So does the Syfy movie "Caprica" which is the first two episodes of the series but was sold as a separate movie as well.

Tried that, didn't help. Tried making a TV folder and nothing from MB, though I did get the series using MCE.

• 6 years later...
JonArbuckle

This problem does still exist.

It seems not possible to get metadata for a movie which is available at tmdb as tvshow.

For example:

i have a movie folder with many Stephen King movies. (Movies and not tv shows/series).

And it's not possible to fetch metadata for "bag of bones (part 1 and 2)" or "it (1990)". They are listed as tvshows at tmdb. Identifying in emby returns nothing by searching for title or id.

links:

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/19614-it

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/39758-bag-of-bones

How can I fetch metadata for these movies without entering all informations by hand?

Edited by JonArbuckle

Deathsquirrel
5 minutes ago, JonArbuckle said:

This problem does still exist.

It seems not possible to get metadata for a movie which is available at tmdb as tvshow.

For example:

i have a movie folder with many Stephen King movies. (Movies and not tv shows/series).

And it's not possible to fetch metadata for "bag of bones (part 1 and 2)" or "it (1990)". They are listed as tvshows at tmdb. Identifying in emby returns nothing by searching for title or id.

links:

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/19614-it

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/39758-bag-of-bones

How can I fetch metadata without entering all informations by hand?

This isn't a problem.  It's a TV mini-series.  Put it into an appropriate library and name it as such.  It will be recognized just fine.

If you don't want to enter the data by hand, you're going to be limited by the available public metadata.

• Like 1

JonArbuckle

I tried it with setting up a mixed content library too because it has settings vor movies and tv scraper.

I have used folder structure like this:

titel (year)\season\S01S01 - episodetitle.mkv

But I have no option to identify it.

What's the proper way to setup one library having movies and (mini) TV-series mixed (without having collections)?

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, JonArbuckle said:

titel (year)\season\S01S01 - episodetitle.mkv

I hope you meant - Title (year)\season\s01e01 - episodetitle.mkv

However - Title (year)\season\Title (year) - s01e01 - episodetitle.mkv 

is more correct and reliable. The "(Year)" is really unnecessary in this case. I got a perfect first time match for your example using:

TV Shows <- The TV library points here
_______Bag of Bones
____________Season 01
__________________Bag of Bones - s01e01.mkv
__________________Bag of Bones - s01e01.mkv

I never use a "mixed content" type of library as I have found such libraries less than reliable. Yes shows like "Bag of Bones" are technically movies but I just keep them in a TV library to adhere to the KISS principle.

Although I have never tried it I believe that if you have a TV collection and a movie collection named EXACTLY the same then when you browse collections and choose that name you will see the content from both libraries
---------------------------------
Edit: I just tested and you can have collections with TV shows and movies in them and it works exactly as expected. In fact when I created a tes collection with movies and then went to add a TV show to it the collection showed up as one I could add to. So, without any issue of having to use a mixed content library you can have a collection containing all "Stephen King" movies like "Cujo" and all Stephen King TV shows like "Bag of Bones." It can even contain Both the movie and TV versions of "The Shining." (Although the movie version with the great "Jack" staring is so much better than the TV version that I am not sure you need both of those.)
Edited by Gilgamesh_48