Is there an option for list view of media? (maybe a feature request?)

divide_by_zero

divide_by_zero

Emby is humming along well on my Shield. Occasionally get a grey screen on app launch and need to force stop, but other than that it's working great.

Only thing missing from emby on MCE is that as far as I can tell, there's no way to get a list view of media as was possible with Chocolate and a few other themes.

When viewing media folders on emby for android (only 2 parent folders with lots of media in each: Movies and TV), it seems the only option is to view posters for each movie/tv series. With a large library, only being able to scroll through posters rather than a vertical list of titles is a cumbersome mess.

Is there a setting to enable list view that I'm missing? If not, please consider this feature for a future update!

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Cheers,

db0

Hi.  Not yet.  We probably will have this but it hasn't been high priority as most people want images.

Thanks.

Dizzy49

Emby is humming along well on my Shield. Occasionally get a grey screen on app launch and need to force stop, but other than that it's working great.

Only thing missing from emby on MCE is that as far as I can tell, there's no way to get a list view of media as was possible with Chocolate and a few other themes.

When viewing media folders on emby for android (only 2 parent folders with lots of media in each: Movies and TV), it seems the only option is to view posters for each movie/tv series. With a large library, only being able to scroll through posters rather than a vertical list of titles is a cumbersome mess.

Is there a setting to enable list view that I'm missing? If not, please consider this feature for a future update!

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Cheers,

db0

Agreed.  My movie library has over 2500 items.  With Emby Theater I can scroll down, so it displays more on screen and is a bit easier.  Also, there is the alphabet on the side, so we can select the letter we want which makes navigating quite a bit easier.  I think that would be handy.

Any chance of using Alexa to search for titles in Emby?

Also, there is the alphabet on the side, so we can select the letter we want which makes navigating quite a bit easier.  I think that would be handy.

Hi.  This already exists in the app.  Click on the little letter jump icon on the toolbar above the grid...

samhill5215

I would like to echo this request. I also have a large collection and a scrollable list would be great. I think the emby developers should spend the time necessary for this option. From a software engineer's viewpoint it should be child's play.

• 4 months later...
vertigo220

I wish I'd known this before spending the time setting Emby up. I can't take a media server/player seriously that doesn't even have the most basic options such as this. As promising as some aspects of it appear to be, it's completely useless to me like this. I currently use Kodi and not only does it have list/details view options, but it's immensely more customizable. I'm looking for an alternative due to Kodi becoming crappier and crappier over time as well as failing to make any real progress in important areas, but Emby clearly isn't the solution.

• 1 year later...
divide_by_zero

Hi @@ebr !

Emby keeps getting better with each release -- more stable, and more cool features that make sense from the user's perspective. You all are doing awesome work.

Literally the only thing that's missing from this being the perfect product for our household is the ability to do a list view, like some themes had way back in the day (Chocolate?).

(Realize that most people want images, but I'm sure many people with large libraries would appreciate this feature, even if this thread isn't exactly active.)

What's the best way to get this on the roadmap? Should I setup a gofundme? Maybe send you and @@Luke some beer money? :)

Hi. It is on the roadmap but please explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish because you mentioned "people with large libraries" and a list view is actually likely to show fewer items at once than the current grid views do now...

vertigo220

For me, I prefer list view since it's just easier to use and faster to browser through. Even if there are fewer items on screen than in grid view, they're easier to quickly scan than a bunch of pictures are, and they usually show more text, i.e. the full movie name instead of part of it with the rest being cut off (honestly don't know if Emby does this, since it's been so long since I tried it because of this feature being missing). Just like how I typically prefer list or detail view in Windows Explorer instead of thumbnails view.

• Like 1

divide_by_zero

Glad to hear it's still on the roadmap! And from your "amount of info displayed" perspective, I get why this seems like an small thing. Thanks for asking for more info.

For me, even if there's fewer titles displayed with a list, I'm able to browse through the library much more quickly and efficiently with this view -- much easier for my eyes to skim down a list on the left side than go left to right and back again for three rows through a bunch of tiles, truncated titles, and my brain not recognizing cover art as quickly as it does words.

I guess a list just works better for my brain/eyes is what it boils down to for me.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
im_andrewtodd

July 2021 and we definitely need a list view! I can't believe it's not a thing but is for the mobile version. I understand people want to view box art for movies/tv shows but for my own home recordings and videos which don't have any box art, a list view so I can see the full folder name would be nice. Its damn near impossible finding my personal home videos without clicking on it to find out what file it is. This option is needed!

Edited by im_andrewtodd
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, im_andrewtodd said:

July 2021 and we definitely need a list view! I can't believe it's not a thing but is for the mobile version. I understand people want to view box art for movies/tv shows but for my own home recordings and videos which don't have any box art, a list view so I can see the full folder name would be nice. Its damn near impossible finding my personal home videos without clicking on it to find out what file it is. This option is needed!

Hi @im_andrewtodd it is on our to do list. Thanks for the feedback.

• 6 months later...

Hello

Same problem for me on Android APP

I have the same problem with music : too much mp3 and it will be most apreciate to configure a folder (a mediatheque) with a view type like list. More over the text with the artist name and song is too long and we can not read with small box like image (without image). Then to find the right mp3 I have to change for each directory the view type in view list...

Could you answer us and tell us if you are going to propose this option ? Because without view list I can not use emby for music

Thanks in advance

Capture1.JPG

Edited by AUBERT

38 minutes ago, AUBERT said:

Hello

I have the same problem with music : too much mp3 and it will be most apreciate to configure a folder (a mediatheque) with a view type like list. More over the text with the artist name and song is too long and we can not read with small box like image (without image). Then to find the right mp3 I have to change for each directory the view type in view list...

Could you answer us and tell us if you are going to propose this option ? Because without view list I can not use emby for music

Thanks in advance

Capture1.JPG

HI, well you can do it in the standard app, it's just that you have to do it for each folder. But yes more view options are planned for future updates. Thanks.

Yes for each folder...

Have you an idea if you are going to add this option ?

I will try to find another app because it's not usefull

Thanks for your quick reply

seanbuff
1 hour ago, AUBERT said:

I have the same problem with music

What view is that because the standard Android app already has list views for Music.

image.png.0555b694a7e09007a81789349bac350b.png