How to name episode files with multiple parts?

davesurfer

davesurfer

So I'm downloading these Turkish episodes and some of them come in 2 or 3 parts. How would I name them so Emby labels them properly? Eg. Season 1 Episode 13 Part 1, I've tried S01E1301, but this doesn't work. It just shows Episode 13 for all 3 files. THanks!

Hi, we don't currently support this. It's planned for the future. for the best possible experience we suggest joining the files. thanks.

davesurfer

Hi, we don't currently support this. It's planned for the future. for the best possible experience we suggest joining the files. thanks.

Oh ok, so what's a good free joiner? I have MP4 files.

i've used mkvtoolnix in the past although i'm not sure if it only accepts mkv input or not. but that is just drag and drop.

davesurfer

i've used mkvtoolnix in the past although i'm not sure if it only accepts mkv input or not. but that is just drag and drop.

ok thanks!

• 4 months later...
VaporTrail

Does Emby 4.0 support episode files with multiple parts now?

I just use the same episode name appended with (1), (2), etc. They display in the GUI as a single episode, but don't consolidate total runtime...

We will get to it, but for now for the best experience possible I would suggest joining the files.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Macieksoft

We will get to it, but for now for the best experience possible I would suggest joining the files.

Any word on the progress of this? Im having more and more series with multi file episodes, plex handles them alright, but any implementation would be fine on emby. 

CBers

Im having more and more series with multi file episodes, plex handles them alright, but any implementation would be fine on emby.

Join them together.

• Like 1

Macieksoft

Join them together.

Ya already on that, using MKVToolNix in a docker in unraid, I kept the original files for when Emby implements it, I preferred the split files as that was how they were aired but merging seems to be the only workaround right now.

CBers

An alternative way, is to use ffmpeg itself.

Find ffmpeg in you Emby server system folder.

Open a command prompt in that folder (generally if you highlight the relevant ffmpeg folder and shift right click on it you will see "open command window here"

Then type this command (best to prepare it in notepad and cut and paste)

ffmpeg.exe -i concat:"Full Path to 1st part.avi"^|"Full Path to 2nd part.avi" -c copy -vsync vfr -af "aresample=async=1000" "Full Path to joined movie.avi"

eg

ffmpeg.exe -i concat:"m:\media\this means war\bdmv\stream\00600.m2ts"^|"m:\media\this means war\bdmv\stream\00608.m2ts" -c copy -vsync vfr -af "aresample=async=1000" "m:\media\this means war\this means war.mkv"

To do this both part of the movie must be the same dimensions and codecs which is generally the case.

EXAMPLE:

ffmpeg.exe -i concat:"X:\Videos\Movies\The Great Escape (1963) 2 parts\The Great Escape (1963) part1.avi"^|"X:\Videos\Movies\The Great Escape (1963) 2 parts\The Great Escape (1963) part2.avi" -c copy -vsync vfr -af "aresample=async=1000" "X:\Videos\Movies\The Great Escape (1963) 2 parts\The Great Escape (1963).avi"

Might be quicker than mkvtoolnix.

(Origanlly posted by @@Tikuf many moons ago)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's not currently in progress. We will get there, but but even when we do we still recommend joining the files for the best possible experience.

MBSki

Ok, can it at least be configured so the parts show in order? I have a few that are showing up with part 2 as the 1st version rather than part 1.

Ok, can it at least be configured so the parts show in order? I have a few that are showing up with part 2 as the 1st version rather than part 1.

Where, can you show a screenshot? What are the file names?

MBSki

Where, can you show a screenshot? What are the file names?

Yes, here you go. 1st screenshot of the version drop down and second is of each files metadata.

post-290994-0-41991500-1577402350_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-42772200-1577402355_thumb.jpg

Ok well the version default is based on which is most efficient, not by title. Since those appear to be identical, we could probably use title as secondary sorting although that still doesn't promise anything.

MBSki

Ok, thanks Luke. I added pt1 after the episode number since that's how Plex recognizes the order of files. Could you use that naming convention or something similar for the order?

MBSki

Great, thanks. Do you have a feature/fix roadmap pinned somewhere? It'd be cool to see what's up next for implementation.