Set primary image to a chosen frame

justwondering

justwondering

I'd like a way to set the primary thumbnail image to the current frame during playback in the web interface.

I have a library set to content type "Home Videos & Photos". Emby does a pretty nice job choosing a frame from each video to use for its primary thumbnail image, but sometimes I'd like to choose a different frame.

I can do this manually by playing the video, taking a screenshot, choosing "Edit images" from the "..." menu, clicking the "+" button, uploading the image, and selecting "Primary" as the type, which replaces the existing image. If I want the image to be a full frame then I need to wait a few seconds for the web interface to disappear before taking my screenshot, as there doesn't seem to be a way to dismiss it. And then the image I save is in a different resolution than the automatically generated ones.

So although it's possible to generate my own thumbnails, it's a bit of a hassle. Since Emby Server obviously already has the capability to generate a primary thumbnail from a frame of video, it would be really nice to have a way to tell it to do this from a frame chosen manually during playback.

I'm thinking a little snapshot button could be added to the playback interface. Or if that's too obtrusive, hide it behind a "..." menu.

A related request: It would be great to be able to pick which of the items inside a folder would be used for the folder's thumbnail.

These are small issues but would be really nice for organizing collections of home videos and other media that can't be easily looked up in databases.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
SikSlayer

+1

I keep the application MetaBrowser around for this exact reason.

It's been over a year, is this a complex thing to implement?

• Like 2