Is anyone using emby for MCE?

ipguy

So it might be a stupid question, I am loving it, but I do wonder what MCE users are using aside from emby, if anything at all.

What's emby theatre? Is it something that I can use with MCE?

Edited by ipguy

lurch9366

Our family still uses wmc for off air viewing and recording. The one thing nothing else has (other than tivo bolt) is pitch corrected audio while viewing a recording in fast forward 1 speed. wmc has had this since windows 7 launched and possible longer.  This is a must for many shows and allows you to get through them more quickly.  I hope emby adds this to there playback engine at some point. Hint Hint!!! Since epg123 the guide data is amazing. As far as emby theater it is a stand alone desktop software that allows you to do all things emby. I.E. live tv, movies, manage metadata. It does not integrate with wmc but things like mce relaunch can place a shortcut in your extras section. I have pretty much moved over to emby theater for movie viewing as emby for wmc currently does not show trailer or extras, this is a bug they are currently fixing. Only think I don't like about emby theater is the video and normal backdrops are very dark. I miss the unfiltered backdrop look. 

It is definitely worth a try. Very polished and I have yet to find a container it wont play. 

Edited by lurch9366
  • Like 1

d00zah

I am... it's the ONLY (acceptable) solution for DRM TV channels. Best DVR features (IMO). & +1 to 'fast viewing' for news, etc..

MAJOR nod to EPG123 for the guide overhaul.

Also use 'Relaunch' & 'MCE Reset Toolbox' to integrate new tiles into menu strips, hide clutter, etc..

• Like 2

One2Go

I'm still using it and loving it...

If would not be for your themes I may have given up on MCE. Thanks again for a WOW experience to all the visitors of my HT.

• Like 2

throgmorton

If would not be for your themes I may have given up on MCE. Thanks again for a WOW experience to all the visitors of my HT.

No problem I should probably upload some of the minor updates I've been making on my spare times when I notice issues to the themes, mainly around performance, and gamebrowser.

• Like 1

One2Go

Please do upload them as every now and then I also notice something that I wish would behave differently. But knowing you have a real life I didn't bother to post here. Any update would be immensely appreciated.

throgmorton

Please do upload them as every now and then I also notice something that I wish would behave differently. But knowing you have a real life I didn't bother to post here. Any update would be immensely appreciated.

You can always post them and I can possibly have a look. I don't use every view from every theme so it's possible something has changed and I won't catch it. So I need people to point them out. New features are less likely to be added as they can take some significant time, but if it's of added benefit to myself it has a much better chance of being implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jachin99

I still use WMC, and EMC but I have grudgingly setup Kodi for my TV room because I wanted try something that might give me better picture, and better video game integration.  I don't think my PQ is much better in kodi but I haven't explored every option there either (It would be nice if they used MPV like Emby).  All in all, most of the content I use in Kodi is still available in WMC, and EMC is still my favorite by a long shot.  Emby server simplifies metadata, and library management and I really like the web app so I stick with it.  

Guest asrequested

I still use WMC, and EMC but I have grudgingly setup Kodi for my TV room because I wanted try something that might give me better picture, and better video game integration.  I don't think my PQ is much better in kodi but I haven't explored every option there either (It would be nice if they used MPV like Emby).  All in all, most of the content I use in Kodi is still available in WMC, and EMC is still my favorite by a long shot.  Emby server simplifies metadata, and library management and I really like the web app so I stick with it.  

I can help you tweak the picture quality in Theater.

jachin99

I would really like to use something like theater BUT Kodi has Amazon, Netflix, and quite a few other streaming addons so I decided on it.  If emby had those, then it might be a different story so the closest I can get is Emby for Kodi for the time being.  Because of this I believe working on a tighter integration between Emby and Kodi will require less time and effort than trying to integrate Netflix, or Amazon into ET.  Amazon is big for me bacause if I want to just Rent or watch a movie I don't own, Amazon is the easiet way to do it.  Maybe someone from Emby could get ahold of the author of MCE's Amazon plugin to see if he will help move it over to Emby.  

• Like 1

Interesting that you make your decision based on which app helps you get out of the software and into other apps.

aspdend

This thread is making me wish I hadn't decided to ditch Win7 and MCE in favour of Win10 and ET - i really miss how good the DVR was and especially throg's themes, I was really hoping someone would have stepped up to the plate with some themes/skins by now...

• Like 2

d00zah

This thread is making me wish I hadn't decided to ditch Win7 and MCE in favour of Win10 and ET - i really miss how good the DVR was and especially throg's themes, I was really hoping someone would have stepped up to the plate with some themes/skins by now...

Like this? It's been slow going, but sounds promising so I keep an eye on it.

https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=11330

• Like 1

jachin99

Interesting that you make your decision based on which app helps you get out of the software and into other apps.

Its not just getting in and out of software though because I could minimize Emby Theater, and start the Netflix app.  Its a matter of not having to leave one application to view content on a different application.  In WMC, and Kodi I can view Netflix, and Amazon content in the native interface, and the remote in kodi functions very similarly to how it did in WMC so there I don't have learn new habbits.  I know I said two different things here but viewing content in a unified interface is kind of something I wanted at a bare minimum.  Improved PQ was more of a luxury I wanted but haven't achieved.  And I only have Kodi setup in one room while the rest of the house is still WMC.  I actually tried a few different programs to improve PQ including JRiver, and Emby Theater.

Edited by jachin99
  • Like 1

throgmorton

It's still on the back burner to port my themes to ET. I just don't see the added benefit right now to make the time investment necessary to learn how to get the themes working in ET. Right now I'm just enjoying the fruits of my labour in WMC on Win10.

It's working beautifully for now...

• Like 2

aspdend

It's still on the back burner to port my themes to ET. I just don't see the added benefit right now to make the time investment necessary to learn how to get the themes working in ET. Right now I'm just enjoying the fruits of my labour in WMC on Win10.

It's working beautifully for now...

Completely understand and appreciate that from your point of view - I think it would be worse to be constantly having to change and update your theme at the pace that ET is changing and then lose heart and stop - just saying that when you do, I (and others) will be happy!

One2Go

When I purchased a new Intel NUC with an i-5, I ordered it from a company with the requirement of a Win 7 Pro installation solely for the purpose of WMC and Throg's themes. Nothing to regret on my end just pure pleasure to navigate the eye candy. I didn't build it myself because I didn't want to futz around with custom USB3 drivers from Intel that are required for that NUC and a Win 7 installation.

On the Throg's themes for ET I also totally agree with your sentiment.

• Like 1

aspdend

When I purchased a new Intel NUC with an i-5, I ordered it from a company with the requirement of a Win 7 Pro installation solely for the purpose of WMC and Throg's themes. Nothing to regret on my end just pure pleasure to navigate the eye candy. I didn't build it myself because I didn't want to futz around with custom USB3 drivers from Intel that are required for that NUC and a Win 7 installation.

On the Throg's themes for ET I also totally agree with your sentiment.

I've built my own for a long time and I fought against win10 for ages, but eventually succumbed when I had multiple issues getting the epg data in the UK...still, I do have all my disks (Win 7 Home) so maybe I should just bite the bullet and just reinstall Win7? 

• Like 1

One2Go

When I considered a new NUC I found that the Kaby Lake processors will not be supporting Win 7. So I went for the Intel NUC NUC6I5SYK Mini PC i5-6260U which is the 6th generation. However to get Win 7 on that NUC it requires USB 3 drivers from Intel and for me life is too short to mess with that and paid to have someone do it. Configuration was 16GB of memory and 500GB of M2 SSD. So far very happy especially since my Logitech Harmony One works like a charm with it. WAF very important for me as they get used to a particular view and if it changes they want in house tech support  :D 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
unisoft

Can 'Emby for WMC' now utilise Media Center menu entry points?

I still use Media Browser 2.6.2 on dedicated Media Center (with Arcosft Total Media Theatre for Bluray and MKV playback for 24p) because I can make MB look like its part of Media center with entry point for Movies, Photos and TV Archive.

I use native WMC menu tabs for Music, Music Videos (renamed from videos). Emby for WMC didn't have this when I looked in earlier versions and was a complete deal breaker for me because of this.

Having said that, because of Live TV being added to Emby (though not really any good until conflict resolution and series link stuff all sorted) and the fact my media libraries are on Synology NAS and Emby app for LG TV, Samsung TV, Roku Stick and Apple TV; I am in a project to get a "migration" going, though I would like to keep the dedicated WMC unit until 2023 when Windows 8.1 goes out of support. Its a dedicated Antec Fusion htpc case with VFD display.

Can 'Emby for WMC' now utilise Media Center menu entry points?

I still use Media Browser 2.6.2 on dedicated Media Center (with Arcosft Total Media Theatre for Bluray and MKV playback for 24p) because I can make MB look like its part of Media center with entry point for Movies, Photos and TV Archive.

I use native WMC menu tabs for Music, Music Videos (renamed from videos). Emby for WMC didn't have this when I looked in earlier versions and was a complete deal breaker for me because of this.

Having said that, because of Live TV being added to Emby (though not really any good until conflict resolution and series link stuff all sorted) and the fact my media libraries are on Synology NAS and Emby app for LG TV, Samsung TV, Roku Stick and Apple TV; I am in a project to get a "migration" going, though I would like to keep the dedicated WMC unit until 2023 when Windows 8.1 goes out of support. Its a dedicated Antec Fusion htpc case with VFD display.

Sorry, no.