3.0.2 - no playback

serpi
Go to solution Solved by serpi,

I would suggest making sure that windows is fully up to date. I would also configure audio settings in the app, making sure to only select pass-through formats that your audio hardware supports, and make sure that you've also completed the windows audio setup wizard.

mentasm

Audio was just set to auto.  I don't do anything fancy.  I just have a set of logitech speakers connected via optical.  No special amplifiers or anything.  This setup has worked for years as is.  

Try configuring it in Emby by explicitly setting the number of channels. It may not resolve anything but it is generally recommended. 

additionally if you have antivirus installed, perhaps it tampered with the install folder. Try disabling the Av and then install the app again.

mentasm

No AV installed.  Not sure if windows 7 has an Audio setup wizard.  Have tried setting 5.1 in audio

mentasm

I am now. To be honest I have kept this machine sitting without allowing updates for a very long time now.  Got sick of them breaking my media center.  Consequently the machine has run pretty much without fault for a long time now (years).  What exactly is the requirement on windows updates that could break ET this bad?  Did the latest MPV or electron has some specific requirements?  

Edited by mentasm

Guest asrequested

not sure what you mean bt windows audio config.  which screen

If your're only using stereo, change that to stereo.

And what does this look like on yours?

5b85e1db3359e_Snapshot_39.jpg

mentasm

I have Realtek digital audio as my device. I think the screen you showed is supposed to be available from the configure button which you can see is not selectable

post-395-0-95890200-1535501100_thumb.jpg

Guest asrequested

How is your cabling, configured? What cable goes from where to where?

Edited by Doofus

mentasm

Tried that just then, no change in behaviour.  Trying to find an more up to date version of the realtek software.  Are you pretty sure this is audio stream related?

Guest asrequested

Tried that just then, no change in behaviour.  Trying to find an more up to date version of the realtek software.  Are you pretty sure this is audio stream related?

No, I'm not. I'm trying to rule it out. An easy way to do that is, unplug the optical cable and try to play something.

Edited by Doofus

mentasm

Tried unplugging the optical.  No change.

Installed the latest realtek drivers I could fiund which has actually removed the realtek device pending reboot (stil installing windows updates so can't reboot for a bit)  Default audio device is now my TV via HDMI.  Have tried using that as well, and settign auto or 2.1 in ET audio settings. No change in behavior

I had a similar problem with my Logitech Z5500 speakers, but I think the real problem  (for me anyway) is with using the Optical out, on this PC it is a little hit and miss, try using direct out/in so instead of using the Optical go back to the audio cables that came with the speakers. If I use HDMI audio direct to my screen there is no problem, I have a similar problem on my Emby server PC if I run Optical but on that I use HDMI out to the Amp then to the TV. I can still use Optical but not for everything, so I just use the direct out on this PC which still uses all 6 speakers. My problem is not directly Emby related it also effects my Hauppauge TV Tuner in this PC and my 2 DIVCO TV Tuners in the HT PC and has always been a problem.

This PC Spec

Win 10 Pro 64bit with latest updates (but had this problem with Win 7 Ultimate)

CPU I7 8700K

32GB DDR4 3200 RAM

GB GTX 1050Ti VGA

Emby Server (HT PC)

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit with latest updates

CPU I7 7700

32GB DDR4 3200 RAM

GB GTX 1050Ti VGA

Edited by Ice

mentasm

My config has been happily working in this configuration for a couple of years now.  Its only the latest ET update that has broken things.  Can I revert version and stay there? Pretty sure I can't

My config has been happily working in this configuration for a couple of years now.  Its only the latest ET update that has broken things.  Can I revert version and stay there? Pretty sure I can't

Yes you can, I have always done manual updates, I have never let ET do auto updates, this is the 1st version I have had to delete the config files as well though, it will recreate them on 1st start which will take a little longer to start. I switched back and forth until I got 3.0.2 working correctly

Edited by Ice

Guest asrequested

I wouldn't recommend that. MPV has had many great improvements. Hang in the one sec. I'm gonna zip up an mpv standalone I'd like you to test with... brb