Manual Login Borkiness

tinskip

tinskip

I chose to not display my admin account, requiring manual login.  However, on my Android TV (Sony Bravia 2017), selecting Manual Login brings up the Password prompt.  I can then select "Next", same prompt (no changes, nor does the entry box clear), then "Done" and then nothing.  There is no prompt for the username.  Am I doing something wrong (not much to do wrong afaict) or is it not working correctly?

Anyone else experience this?

mastrmind11

I chose to not display my admin account, requiring manual login.  However, on my Android TV (Sony Bravia 2017), selecting Manual Login brings up the Password prompt.  I can then select "Next", same prompt (no changes, nor does the entry box clear), then "Done" and then nothing.  There is no prompt for the username.  Am I doing something wrong (not much to do wrong afaict) or is it not working correctly?

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, everyone.  You have to back out of the prompt using the remote after entering the login and password in order to get to the next button...  apparently an Android bug or something.

The dialogs don't work as well as they should on all versions of Android unfortunately, but I've never heard anyone report they don't get the dialog for user.

Can you explain exactly what you are doing?  You aren't logging in via Connect are you?

tinskip

Re #2:  Yes, that fixed the problem.  If you click "next" after entering the username, you are in trouble. Instead you have to hit 'exit / return', and then click OK.  In short, do not use the Next / Done buttons on the keyboard.

Re #3: I am not using Connect. Past experience makes me shy away from service providers having access to my library.  Hint:  I got screwed by Axxxx iXxxxx.

Now, any way I can cache the username and login so that I do not have to enter it every time?  I tried setting the login expiry to 'never', but that doesn't do after the app quits.

Thanks!

Re #3: I am not using Connect. Past experience makes me shy away from service providers having access to my library.  Hint:  I got screwed by Axxxx iXxxxx.

FYI - Connect doesn't give us access to your library.  It is really just a dynamic DNS service to make connecting to your server remotely easier.

Now, any way I can cache the username and login so that I do not have to enter it every time?  I tried setting the login expiry to 'never', but that doesn't do after the app quits.

Yes, first option in the first page of settings in the app.  Set to "Login as this user".

Re #2:  Yes, that fixed the problem.  If you click "next" after entering the username, you are in trouble. Instead you have to hit 'exit / return', and then click OK.  In short, do not use the Next / Done buttons on the keyboard.

I think I'm just going to re-write the thing to use a custom dialog so it will work better and be consistent across different Android versions.

tinskip

That worked.   Thanks!

Yeah, the dialog is a bit confusing, but I think it is more a matter of the keyboard.  When you click "next" or "done" it ought to have the same behavior as clicking 'OK' on the dialog IMO.

That worked.   Thanks!

Yeah, the dialog is a bit confusing, but I think it is more a matter of the keyboard.  When you click "next" or "done" it ought to have the same behavior as clicking 'OK' on the dialog IMO.

I agree but that isn't our keyboard, it is the OS and it doesn't behave as I would expect (on recent versions of Android - The Fire, on an older one, does work).

• 8 months later...
Westiewill

Its doing that on the most recent version of the Shield android box fyi, just did two installs for peeps and that was annoying as hell.