Roku Selecting Audio and Subtitle Tracks

leebo

FrostByte

Dvdfab 9 calls it rendering, but ya it may be called that in other software.  There is no subtitle to turn on or off because it's overlayed/burned onto the video right in the ripping process.  Doesn't leave you much options when playing, but great for home use and I don't have the buffering issue with MB trying to transcode subtitles anymore.  It may be another solution for you

OK, thanks. Actually I only need subs occasionally, for other people. I find then very distracting when they're in a language I speak. I end up reading the line before it's delivered!

Sent from a mobile device.

After raising three teenagers, I find I can't watch television easily without them. It was more beneficial to me to use subtitles than to increase the volume to drown out household noise. Now I am used to them.

I rip them into their own stream using MakeMKV. Then they can be turned on and off as needed. Haven't dealt with folder rips.

How do you do that? I'm currently having trouble ripping HDDVDs. MakeMkv won't rip the subs. I have them checked, but it still won't do it.

Ya, I guess it may not work for all if you switch back and forth using subtitles, but it is great for me if watching a movie with English audio and there is the occasional speaking part in another language and I have Dvdfab set to only show subtitles for those parts of the movie.

Well, that's called "forced sub's", and most movies do that on their own, AFAIK.

FrostByte

Ya, I guess it may not work for all if you switch back and forth using subtitles, but it is great for me if watching a movie with English audio and there is the occasional speaking part in another language and I have Dvdfab set to only show subtitles for those parts of the movie.

Edited by FrostByte

Koleckai Silvestri

OK, thanks. Actually I only need subs occasionally, for other people. I find then very distracting when they're in a language I speak. I end up reading the line before it's delivered!

After raising three teenagers, I find I can't watch television easily without them. It was more beneficial to me to use subtitles than to increase the volume to drown out household noise. Now I am used to them.

I rip them into their own stream using MakeMKV. Then they can be turned on and off as needed. Haven't dealt with folder rips.

Edited by Wayne Luke

hardenx11

How do you do that? I'm currently having trouble ripping HDDVDs. MakeMkv won't rip the subs. I have them checked, but it still won't do it.

Give AppGeeker a try, it would works for you.

• 3 months later...

@@leebo You shouldn't need to use the audio/subtitle menu before playing a video on the roku to get subtitles. Instead just start the video then when it starts press * and get the closed caption selection screen. Enable them for default to appear, or if there is more than one choose the exact subtitle you want from this window. This allows changes on the fly with no transcoding. The roku hardware is rendering them as overlays. You still need the audio/subtitle menu before playing the video to choose alternate audio tracks.

The task to download subtitles should eventually fill in all your blanks without much manual intervention (other than register at open subtitles to gain login ability).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I had not yet looked into this new feature. However, my question had to do with a different issue described earlier in this thread. That being said, I suspect access to these external subs may make my previous issue moot.

There is an api method now that you can use to download them.

Videos/{Id}/Subtitles/{Index}

The source has to be external subs, that is, there's no conversion offered but i'm sure that can eventually be added.

Is there any update to this issue?

I recently played an HD MKV of a movie on my Roku2, and I had an external sub track (srt I think). While it showed up in the subtitle menu, the was no description as to which language it was, but I was able to select it. The movie played fine, inc. displaying the subtitle. Not once did it stop to buffer.

This was using the same equipment as earlier in this thread. Was this due to some update in MB Server, the fact that it was external subs, the fact it was an srt file, or something else?

Granted, it was only one movie, but if this works for all mkv's maybe I can download srt subs for now and be happy.

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!

@@leebo You shouldn't need to use the audio/subtitle menu before playing a video on the roku to get subtitles. Instead just start the video then when it starts press * and get the closed caption selection screen. Enable them for default to appear, or if there is more than one choose the exact subtitle you want from this window. This allows changes on the fly with no transcoding. The roku hardware is rendering them as overlays. You still need the audio/subtitle menu before playing the video to choose alternate audio tracks.

The task to download subtitles should eventually fill in all your blanks without much manual intervention (other than register at open subtitles to gain login ability).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

psykix

To get subtitles to show the language, rename the file extension. If they are English, then name it title.en.srt

• Like 1