Roku Selecting Audio and Subtitle Tracks

leebo

what is the format of the sub file?

On the Blurays it's PGS. Whether Handbrake changes the format when adding them into the newly created MKV, I do not know. Iow, I do not know what format subtitle MB is having trouble displaying.

Sent from my Nexus 7

@@leebo can you please link me to a clean server log (debug) and an ffmpeg log for a playback event

Thanks

I will look into figuring that out tomorrow. I'm still learning how to drive this car.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I am just getting data so I can try to find out why the subs are not rendering (i need to be able to repo it to have a chance at fixing it) the pgs subs filter is common to the dash and roku.

Nope. We are rendering the subs the problem is we are rendering them off the screen the sub canvas is 1920x804 while the video is getting converted to 1280x536. for some reason the canvas scale of the subs is not getting changed (the code is there to do it it is just not working for some reason). Can you please confirm this by playing back @ 1080p

Not really sure how to do what you're asking.

I believe Handbrake crops the picture slightly, but only by a few pixels. Since the subs display fine in VLC, are you asking me to somehow change the aspect in MB?

Or are you asking me to re-do the conversion using Handbrake and get it to make a new file at 1080?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Another issue i spy with the conversion is we are only converting @ 15 frames per sec on your system what is your cpu?

Nope. I tried 1080P and 1080P+. Neither displayed subs.

My system is an AMD Phenom 2 X4 945 Ghz (4 core) with 8 gigs Ram.

I am not noticing 15fps though. Usually I can see if the frame rate is that low, but it looks smooth to me. The only playback issue I see is when using the web browser and changing audio or subtitle tracks, ther movie stops for a couple of secs, resumes, pauses again, resumes, etc. But if I play from the begining and don't change anything, it seems to play smooth.

Can I please see the ffmpeg logs for the 1080p+ and 1080p playbacks thanks.

Without subs it is likely it will playback smoothly but with subs we are actually encoding 2 video streams into 1 so the fps will likely be diff between the two.

Edited by Tikuf

I am just getting data so I can try to find out why the subs are not rendering (i need to be able to repo it to have a chance at fixing it) the pgs subs filter is common to the dash and roku.

I see. This is interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Clean ffmpeg log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17770194/MB3%20Clean%20Log%20Files/ffmpeg-3a5b4a65-4115-4087-a2a9-af862f310f81.txt

Clean server log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17770194/MB3%20Clean%20Log%20Files/server-63523699200.log

I have also checked playing the Bluray file from my HDD using MB. When I do that, the subs display fine. So something is being changed during the conversion to mkv.

Now, I was reading the AVS forum this morning, and there was a thread about PowerDVD v13. Someone was having an issue getting subs to display in mkv files. A poster said something about subs in mkv files made from Blurays defaulted to using "zlib compression", and that unchecking that option when creating the mkv should alleviate that issue.

So I'm wondering whether MB3 can handle subs compressed that way? Just grasping at straws here.

Edit: I made two new, mkv files from one of my problem Blurays. One file set to use "none" under compression for the subs, and another file set to use "zlib" compression. MB was able to display the subs from both files, so I guess it's not an issue specific to mkv. It must have something to do with using Handbrake to make the mkv's. I'd like to continue using it as it saves a ton of hdd space.

Handbrake has no setting specific to the subs, other than to include a track or not. So unless this issue can be identified (and "fixed" in MB), I'll be stuck without subs when using MB3.

I'm also wondering if this thread should be moved since it is not a Roku issue.

Edited by leebo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tikuf, I have temporarily put a hold on converting anymore Blurays while I wait for more info from you. The reason is because I do not want to have to re-convert all my videos.

Do you have any sense whether I will have to make some kind of change in Handbrake (if it's even possible), or whether you think it will be something fixable on your end?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Tikuf

There is a fix coming for subs canvas resizing (next server build) we just need to do some testing. I am not sure if it will fix your issue or not. If you can hang tight for the fix and see. 

Of course. It's not an emergency. I just thought if you knew it was for sure on your end I could get back to it. In fact, I just did a clean re-install of Win 7 I had been putting off for months, so I have plenty to keep me busy. I probably won't re-install MB until I hear about a new release. Probably. Maybe.:)

Sent from my Nexus 7

• 2 weeks later...

The networking in my motherboard died (all networking, not just he onboard NIC), so I now have a MB replacement to keep me busy!

Sent from my Nexus 7

FrostByte

Having a similar issue here though I use Dvdfab to convert my BDs to mkv and figure it's because Dvdfab also is cropping.  Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and others all have embedded srt, English, forced but the Roku will not display subtitles even though I can select the English subtitle the movie will just load and not display.  Hope your next server update fixes.  Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Any update on this? Estimated timeframe? I'm simply not using MB3 while I wait for this fix, as I don't want to convert my discs twice (assuming I will have to make some kind of change in my re-encoding process).

Sent from my generic not my computer device.

I believe the subs changes are coming in the next server release. Still no date for that, but I'd guess soon. Whether that fixes your problem or not we will have to see.

• 2 weeks later...