Emby Classic For WMC Causes Emby Server Crash

bling26

bling26

Microsoft doesn't' support windows media center on windows 10 so I'm not sure this is going to be successful.

Yeah, I had to get crafty. I got Media Center to work but Emby Classic :(

throgmorton

Yeah, I had to get crafty. I got Media Center to work but Emby Classic :(

What version of windows 10 do you have installed? One of the more recent patches I think the April update (1803). Was extremely problematic with my WMC in windows 10 so I had to back out of that update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bling26

What version of windows 10 do you have installed? One of the more recent patches I think the April update (1803). Was extremely problematic with my WMC in windows 10 so I had to back out of that update

I am running 1803 and everything was working fine (Except I have an ongoing Emby Classic issue). I scraped my computer for anything called MediaBrowser and removed it thinking that would allow me to complete a fresh install but now I can't even install it Classic with a fresh download LOL. I guess that was the end of testing with this Windows 10 box. 

throgmorton

I am running 1803 and everything was working fine (Except I have an ongoing Emby Classic issue). I scraped my computer for anything called MediaBrowser and removed it thinking that would allow me to complete a fresh install but now I can't even install it Classic with a fresh download LOL. I guess that was the end of testing with this Windows 10 box. 

I didn't quite have the experience you had mine was more with using Gamebrowser as games would load up from Steam completely pink.  As soon as I put back 1607 it was fine again, so I've basically killed all the auto updates that windows keeps on forcing down my throat.

If you can I would suggest going with a clean windows install to something prior to 1803 and seeing if you can get it functional again.

bling26

I didn't quite have the experience you had mine was more with using Gamebrowser as games would load up from Steam completely pink.  As soon as I put back 1607 it was fine again, so I've basically killed all the auto updates that windows keeps on forcing down my throat.

If you can I would suggest going with a clean windows install to something prior to 1803 and seeing if you can get it functional again.

Mine was a clean install with 1803 however I have not used games browser before. I have had the build change updates break many things however on multiple PCs so that very well could be your issue. Go to Microsoft and download the newest build and make a new USB boot drive and do a clean install. You might be happy with that. Take a snapshot first in case it sux that way you can just resume where you left off. Good luck

Well, another odd discovery today. I am still having the same "crashing" issue however today I confirmed it is not actually crashing. When I attempt to use Emby Classic, it does appear that Emby Server crashes but it actually doesn't. It is inaccessible from all other platforms after attempting Emby Classic but Emby Classic is still usable although extremely laggy and slow. The pictures never do load as the logs show they are failing but movies and TV shows play. It appear I still have to restart Emby Server to get it to work on other platforms like Emby Theater. Another odd thing is I actually restored my computer from a known working snapshot and tested it with the same results, slowness and "server crash". Anyway, I know you are working on it, I just wanted to add this little new info I found. If you want more logs, let me know otherwise I won't waste your time.

I would suggest re-evaluating this when Emby Server 3.6 is released. Thanks.

Yeah I know, you already said that but my OCD is in top gear LOL. There are no plans to retire Classic is there? I really hope not :P 

But... (there's always a butt, huh) at some point we will have to.  We are already supporting a dead environment here way beyond its life.  To my knowledge, we are the only ones still doing that as well.  At some point, it will just become so hard or it will hold back other things we are trying to do so much that we will have no choice.  We aren't there yet, but a time will come.

To help keep it alive as long as possible, I URGE you current EMCers to start running a test system against the beta servers to help us discover possible problems before it is too late...

But... (there's always a butt, huh) at some point we will have to.  We are already supporting a dead environment here way beyond its life.  To my knowledge, we are the only ones still doing that as well.  At some point, it will just become so hard or it will hold back other things we are trying to do so much that we will have no choice.  We aren't there yet, but a time will come.

To help keep it alive as long as possible, I URGE you current EMCers to start running a test system against the beta servers to help us discover possible problems before it is too late...

Yeah, the only reason I stick with WMC on Windows 8 is I like Emby Classic more than any other of options. The Chocolate theme is pretty and smooth. Another reason is Windows 8 Modern Apps (ie Netflix/Hulu/etc) open in full screen by default whereas Windows 10 Modern Apps do not, you have to expand every use, very annoying.

Diedrich

Actually Emby Theater will remember how you open it, if you prefer windowed.

Is there a file I can edit to force full screen all the time?

Actually Emby Theater will remember how you open it, if you prefer windowed.

Yeah, Emby does remember well, I was only talking about other apps like Hulu and Netflix. I have noticed however if the computer falls asleep while Emby Theater is open in full screen, it will resume in windowed mode for some reason. No big deal tho.

Diedrich

Just close the app while in fullscreen and it will remember.

I have a caveat on my machine though. I'll run TeamViewer, and because the video goes through my AV receiver, the screen aspect ratio will reset. Consequently, ET will sometimes snap down to windowed. That's why I was wondering if I would be able to add some scripting to a file to have it always open full screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest re-evaluating this when Emby Server 3.6 is released. Thanks.

Just a small update. I know you have told me to wait for 3.6 but I got curious. I spun up a new media center box bare bones with only updated windows and drivers. Completed a fresh install of Emby Classic and I got the exact same issue. The only thing I have not done is spin up a new server however, that would be extremely difficult and time consuming. I am still waiting for 3.6.

Can you provide an EMC and server log based on that? If you are on the beta it will be easier to help you now. Thanks.

Can you provide an EMC and server log based on that? If you are on the beta it will be easier to help you now. Thanks.

Oh, I did not install any beta however. If you would like me to do that on this new testing rig, I can. In the meantime, here are the logs from both the existing Server and newly installed Classic. I have compressed them for easier uploading and downloading, I hope you don't mind.

Logs.zip

Problem seems to be happening on the load of this movie:

2018-09-17 21:43:20.0339,Debug,,Navigating to Bad Santa item type MediaBrowser.Library.Item,1,Application
2018-09-17 21:43:20.0339,Debug,,Loading full details for Bad Santa,1,Application
2018-09-17 21:43:20.0339,Info,,Sending Http Get to http://192.168.1.77:8096/emby/Users/f504e06d-a0fb-42f7-a95c-afac925bc214/Items/8773bffe-588d-4aea-3b1f-3ec634c17f40?format=Json,1,Application
2018-09-17 21:43:24.0197,Info,,Reconnecting WebSocket which has dropped.,36,

I wonder if this is the image-related problem.  If so, I think the beta server should solve it.

2018-09-17 21:43:20.0339,Debug,,Navigating to Bad Santa item type MediaBrowser.Library.Item,1,Application
2018-09-17 21:43:20.0339,Debug,,Loading full details for Bad Santa,1,Application
2018-09-17 21:43:20.0339,Info,,Sending Http Get to http://192.168.1.77:8096/emby/Users/f504e06d-a0fb-42f7-a95c-afac925bc214/Items/8773bffe-588d-4aea-3b1f-3ec634c17f40?format=Json,1,Application

I wonder if this is the image-related problem.  If so, I think the beta server should solve it.

Oh, not sure I really want to install the beta in my live environment. Might be best to wait for official release per Luke. I have no problem with that as I am using Emby Theater just fine for now. I just prefer the Classic version more.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, I just learned from another user that they were told not to store their Emby cache and/or images on a pooled storage device. Is there any new truth to this? My server where my Emby Server resides is apart of a pooled drive provided by Drive Bender. It has always worked up until the start of this thread. Could that be related?

Interesting, I just learned from another user that they were told not to store their Emby cache and/or images on a pooled storage device. Is there any new truth to this? My server where my Emby Server resides is apart of a pooled drive provided by Drive Bender. It has always worked up until the start of this thread. Could that be related?

I doubt it.

I would investigate the name of the image file(s) related to the item above.  Any "interesting" characters?  Could also be the name of an actor within that movie...

I doubt it.

I would investigate the name of the image file(s) related to the item above.  Any "interesting" characters?  Could also be the name of an actor within that movie...

Nothing odd in the main movie folder, just the normal "backdrop, folder, banner, disc, etc" however the people directory is HUGE. Instead of going through that, I just renamed the metadata directory so Emby could not find it rendering all people images null. Same Emby Classic issue still exists. I still use MediaCenterMaster to create metadata and download images. There wasn't any Emby server update that is conflicting with that is there? Is there a way I can downgrade a few versions of Emby Server to test. I accidentally had the Emby server option to auto update on for a while so I do not know if it was updating in the backgournd without my knowing. Maybe I should attempt to install an older version like 3.4 to test??? If so, where can I obtain that older install? Thanks for your time!