Folder Images Not Displaying/Not Expanded to Full Size

ElLoboSolitario
Go to solution Solved by ElLoboSolitario,

ElLoboSolitario

Lately I've noticed that MBC fails to render the folder image or fails to display it at the correct size. This happens randomly. I can confer that there ARE folder images to display, but for some reason Media Browser won't render them or at the correct size. Any ideas what's happening?

post-547-0-66505700-1396739492_thumb.jpg

post-547-0-35966500-1396739509_thumb.jpg

Its an intelligent algorithm that is trying to ensure you can see that backdrop... ;)

Seriously, that looks like Diamond?  That theme hasn't been modified in quite a while. Can you try with Chocolate and see what they look like?

ElLoboSolitario

Despite whatever bias you have against the Diamond theme (personally, I think it looks cool) the problem repeats itself under the Chocolate theme as well. Again, SOME folder images either fail to display or don't scale up as they should (note how pixelated the poster for Visiting Hours compares to Love Stinks and yet both are based on large images)5340b6d88ddbb_Ashampoo_Snap_20140405_20h5340b6fd88a25_Ashampoo_Snap_20140405_20h

ronvp

In most cases, you find that the Pixels per inch is the problem. Some images are 96, other 75 some are even less.. I use at least 96 (or bigger but always a even number). As to the root of the issue; you find that in most cases(not all) the scaling problems occur if you have modified the Windows system font size (to make standard windows text bigger), it will mess with the scaling of some images.. I suggest you check the pixels per inch of a working image and then use a standard free ware program (such as Paint.net) to upscale the pixels per inch of the problem images to be the same as the images that are good

Otherwise post a link to the problem images and I can take a look..

ElLoboSolitario

If the problem lies in the folder images, then why do some images not display at all? These are the folder images and yet it's like MBC is displaying images from old cache. I tried deleting the image cache thinking that would resolve it, but no go.53416c91dd9a1_StrictlySexual02.jpg53416cff40ad5_VisitingHours01.jpg

Maybe the images are cached on the server?  Did you upgrade those in quality or dpi at some point?

ElLoboSolitario

The server and the client machine are one and the same. I use Media Master as the meta data fetcher. Yes, I DID replace the folder images in question because the images which Media Master pulled were small low quality pictures. As I said, I had hoped that clearing the image cache would resolve this. I COULD uninstall then reinstall MB, but it seems like a LOT of work to resolve a few errant folder views :-(

Even though they are the same machine, the server and MBC are two different systems and have separate image caches.  Which one did you clear?

ElLoboSolitario

I was clearing the image cache from the folder on the server. What is the location of the image cache folder of the client?

ElLoboSolitario

Well, it was worth trying...cleared the image cache from BOTH Media Browser Server AND Media Browser Client, unfortunately still nothing. I guess we can eliminate image cache failing to update as a culprit :-(

ElLoboSolitario

When I said "random" it happens every time for random posters. Some either don't display at all (it reverts to the backdrop file) or they aren't scaling up to full size and look really pixelated. See above examples.

PBzeer

Have you tried changing the view style, see how they display, and then change back to your preferred one?

Also, do you have the images in the same folder as the movie and xml files?

ronvp

I have tried 2 of your images on 3 different machines, I looks ok on my PC monitor, but on my 55" TV, it does not look very good.

Your "visiting hour" poster is 300 DPI.. but it is only 640 x 900 pixels in size. Thus using the attributes of your image; it is effectively only 2.13 x 3.0 inches, so depending on the algorithms;  even your 300 DPI image can look grainy/blocky on a screen because it has to be "sized" up. The quality after scaling will depend on the TV and/or graphics card.

I suggest you leave the total pixels of the image the same but set (I suggest Freeware; Paint.net)  DPI to 72 or 96. It will effectively yield a larger picture and is easier on the processors..

Here are a view rules/pointers to use for your posters and other art work.

• a regular 55 inch HD TV with a resolution of 1920 x 1080p will have only a DPI of about 40. So 72 or 96 DPI on graphic images is more than enough. (Printing such low DPI files is a different story). There are some high end TV's (4K) that do a little better in the DPI arena, but there is no good reason to go higher than 72 or 96.
  • Not all TV's use the same scaling algorithms
  • a 72 DPI file with total pixels of 500 x 750 (6.9 x 10.4"), Normally yields better display results than the same image (500 x 750 pixels) at 300 DPI. This last one will only be 1.6 x 2.5".
  • Although the issues appear random, in the background it is just math and in most cases it is the artwork DPI in combination with the dimensions at the root of the problem, and sometime the graphics card/driver or even the TV. Some of the lower end TV's just do not do a very good job in scaling impages..

5349437abb80e_Visitinghoursresized.jpg

ElLoboSolitario

I'm using a Sharp 60" Quattron as my monitor (go big or go home- once you use a display that big you'll never want to return to a smaller display :) ) paired with an ASUS GeForce GTX 660 card which does 1080p up-scaling. The image processing software that I use is Irfanview, but I'll try re-sizing some images with one of the programs you suggested to see if it makes a difference. This still doesn't explain why some folder images do not display at all. Everything used to work fine until a while ago. My collection sits at around 1,400 movies now, if that might have any bearing.

ronvp

You're collection is not excessive, many of us have as many or more.. The ASUS is really a NVidia chipset and a good card.. I used my 55 inch  (living room) to get a good average, but I also have a 65" Samsung UHD TV I my media room but did not want to use that to see if there was a image issue.

Have you tried the picture I linked to the previous post? If that one does not make a difference, you need to start examining your hardware..

If you're problem is truly random (1 image shows correct 1 day but incorrect the next), you need to start looking at your hardware maybe  (video) memory or cooling issue on the Graphics cart..

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
ElLoboSolitario

WOO HOO!! I figured out how to force Media Browser to display the proper poster images! It has to be done using the MB web based editing function and pointing back to the folder image. Still don't understand why some images would be missed5377ef182fa92_Ashampoo_Snap_20140517_18h on the first pass, but it works is the important thing.