How to use DD Cine C2 for TV

Shadowdream

Shadowdream

Hello, I am new to this Forum and am searching for help on how to install my Digital Devices Cine C2 TV card and use it with Emby.

When using google, the results I get usualy point towards certein specific cards or other external devices - which does not help me.

My setup is a home server which I use to store my Movies and play them with Emby. Since my plan was to build a "self-sustaining" box I got myself that Cine C2 TV card which fits into a PCI-E slot. As OS I am runing Debian 9 with BPO Kernel 4.17.

The Homepage of Digital Devices sais that the drivers should be included since Kernel 4.14. Also when I run the command " lspci " I get a list showing that the card is online (readout: 02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Digital Devices GmbH Cine V7)

Now what I am looking for is how to get Emby to use this card in order to be able to stream TV content live onto my network. how do I get the broadcast from the TV-Cable onto my mobile or something (i.e using firefox)? Emby by itself seems unable to find the device, no matter which Tuner Type I select.

(On a side note, my Emby Version is 3.3.1.0, though it keeps telling me 3.5.0.0 is available, but apt update doesn't update anything. Could this be a reason why it won't work?)

pünktchen

Emby doesn't support any kind of PCIe or USB tuner natively. You'll have to use one of the live tv plugins with their specific tv backend to get things working. As you are on a linux os you'll have to install Tvheadend and the Tvheadend live tv plugin. Or Tvheadend with tvhproxy which emulates a HDHomerun device that can be seen by Emby as a tuner.

Shadowdream

Thank you pünktchen for your hint! By searching for it I found that just installing the plugin in emby is only half the job. I also need to apt install the actual software for it.

I have followed this short guide for installation, including another guide to get the Release.key to satisfy security:

https://lintut.com/how-to-install-tvheadend-open-source-tv-streaming-server-on-ubuntu/?PageSpeed=noscript

wget -qO- https://doozer.io/keys/tvheadend/tvheadend/pgp | sudo apt-key add -

That way I got TVHeadEnd installed and running (at least the web ui runs). I will do some testing tomorrow, it's late here and the number of options gets my head spinning.

Edit: I had no detailed look yet, but is it possible with TVHeadEnd to kind of buffer live TV? As in pause a running program and continue watching later, or rewind a few minutes?

Edited by Shadowdream

Shadowdream

Status update:

I have gotten tvheadend to run on my server, as posted above. After some trial and error I managed to set it up and so far it seems as if everything works fine now. I have setup a profile for recordings (file format, directory, etc) and I got the channels that I can also see on my TV. I did a few short recordings in order to get a feeling on file sizes and I can play these files on my PC (share via samba).

I also was (shortly) able to stream onto my PC through my browser - the feature that the little "play" button next of the channel-name is for. It downloads a m3u-file that VLC can run. However for a reason I can't seem to find it won't work anymore. When I click it, the page loads briefly, then nothing. Also VLC keeps asking me for login credentials when opening the m3u file I first downloaded. Is this supposed to happen (I guess yes) and will the Emby Plugin not bug me with errors after typing in these credentials? If it keeps asking over and over as VLC does now, I'm worried some things won't work as expected.

What I am having trouble with atm is the setup of a proxy in order to have Emby connect to TVHeadEnd. I have been looking for instructions on how to install TVHProxy, but have yet been unable to run it.

I'll take another try tomorrow, but until then I am pretty proud of myself for getting this far!

Edit: I noticed that my Emby Server reports an error on updating my library. I also can't manualy scan my library. I haven't had this issue prior to installing these plugins.

Currently I have these installed: Auto Box Sets, Emby Statistics and TVHClient

Edited by Shadowdream

pünktchen

What I am having trouble with atm is the setup of a proxy in order to have Emby connect to TVHeadEnd. I have been looking for instructions on how to install TVHProxy, but have yet been unable to run it.

I'll take another try tomorrow, but until then I am pretty proud of myself for getting this far!

The Tvhproxy script is only needed if you are not satisfied with the way the Tvheadend live tv plugin integrates into Emby.

The plugin allows playback of live tv streams and recordings and creation of one time schedules. Series schedules should better be created in Tvheadend's own web interface imho.

Just go into Emby's Dashboard -> Live TV -> Services -> TVHclient and configure your Tvheadend ip and user and password.

After that refresh your guide data under Dashboard -> Live TV -> Devices.

If you are happy then, no need to think about Tvhproxy.

Shadowdream

Oh, alright. Seems like I have missunderstood what pünktchen said in the second post. I thought that I need a proxy so that Emby can see my device. But since I have the corresponding Plugin installed, the requirements should be satisfied.

I was wondering why my channels wouldn't show up in Emby, even though I have set up everything as you said. Turns out that you should not type 'localhost' (default) as your IP address, even if it's running on the same machine.

After changing to the propper IP it seems to work fine. I'll have to take a closer look after work.

Shadowdream

Update: What changing the IP entry did is enable Emby to get the channel infos from TVHeadEnd, but for some reason I am unable to play any. I get the entries, I get the program guide, but I can only play them via TVHE website, not through Emby.

I'll take a look into it, but any hints or ideas on what might be broken are welcome.

Edit: After changing the streaming format from htsp to matroska it's working now!

-> Configuration -> Stream -> Stream Profiles --- then switched matroska to the default one and priority to important

Edited by Shadowdream

Shadowdream

Well, seems like I'm not done yet with troubleshooting. I've been away for the weekend, thinking I could nicely stream my TV signal on my mobile, but unfortunately it wouldn't work. Emby was only showing me that loading circle and since I was away I couldn't do anything.

Now that I am back home I took a look at my server and noticed that on the TVHeadEnd webpage ( [iP]:9981 Configuration->DVB Inputs->TV adapters) my TV card was not listed anymore. I did reload the page, restart my server and even checked if my system recognizes the card anymore. Using the command "lcpci" I got the same result as I posted earlier, it's found in my system. However I can't seem to get TVHeadEnd to find it, even though I have changed nothing since my last post.

Now I couldn't find any "search for device" button or something. Do you know where I should look at? I have no idea what could be wrong here.

Shadowdream

You probably need to configure the connection to tvh

Are you refering to Emby? Because it's tvh itself that does not list my card anymore. Since I didn't have to setup anything in that regard when I installed it, I am wondering why my card is not found by tvh anymore.

Maybe I have just misunderstood you - what connection do you mean exactly?

pünktchen

Well, seems like I'm not done yet with troubleshooting. I've been away for the weekend, thinking I could nicely stream my TV signal on my mobile, but unfortunately it wouldn't work. Emby was only showing me that loading circle and since I was away I couldn't do anything.

Now that I am back home I took a look at my server and noticed that on the TVHeadEnd webpage ( [iP]:9981 Configuration->DVB Inputs->TV adapters) my TV card was not listed anymore. I did reload the page, restart my server and even checked if my system recognizes the card anymore. Using the command "lcpci" I got the same result as I posted earlier, it's found in my system. However I can't seem to get TVHeadEnd to find it, even though I have changed nothing since my last post.

Now I couldn't find any "search for device" button or something. Do you know where I should look at? I have no idea what could be wrong here.

If your tuners aren't found automatically, you can force Tvheadend to do so by editing a config file. Please ask at the Tvheadend forum how to do this.

Shadowdream

I'm sorry but I'm too scared to ask strangers for help. So instead I put on my Chuck Norris mask and said "hi" to my server - it fixed itself instantly.

Actually, for some reason (most likely my own fault) my Server has booted into it's non-backport Kernel, which is version 4.9 - whereas Version 4.11 and above include the needed driver for the card. (My Backport Kernel is 4.17)

After switching back to the BPO the cards were found as expected.

I'm still having issues with the broadcast, but that's most likely bad cable signal, which happens since I have added a splitter to feed my Server and TV simultaniously. Cheap wire is just not worth it! I'll swap it out once and let you know if everything is fine.