Merge same TV show spanning different folders?

dafunke

dafunke

I like to separate my media folders by source, so I have a bluray folder, a dvd folder, and a PlayLater folder for my tv shows.  For a couple shows, I have season 1 that I ripped from DVD and season 2 that I recorded with PlayLater.  In MB3, they show up as 2 separate shows, even though they're both scraped correctly.  Is there a way to get them to combine into a single show?

• Like 17

I've looked into those others in the past but none seemed to fit the bill.

What I'd really like for the server to be able to do is to list any libraries defined on the server alongside the local drives and "Network" items when you select the paths to add. Then I would be able to use the built-in "pooling" that Windows provides via libraries.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/dd391719

Yes, but do those drive pooling solutions also work across machines?  I also have recordings stored on a server accessible via a UNC path.  MB seems to know which are online and offline, so would it work the same with a drive pool at the file system level?

Any pooling solutions you can recommend?

I was just about to ask about this very thing, although due to a slightly different reason.  Due to disk space constraints I have to change my recording targets every so often, which causes all of my recordings to be on different disks.  It seems to me that the library view of my recordings should be able to show me a single tile for any given show once it's determined which show it is, regardless of what physical disk it resides on.

Even just having it figure out that "D:\Recorded TV\<insert showname here>" and "E:\Recorded TV\<insert showname here>" are the same show and "merge" the two folders would be a big improvement.

I use FlexRaid - it is more than just drive pooling but that is one good feature. 

There is also:

• unRaid (used this in the past but wanted to get off the proprietary file system)
  • StableBit DrivePool
  • Windows 8 Storage Spaces

I don't think any of these are capable of being distributed across different machines but I'm not sure of that.

The big advantage to using one of these over us doing it in MB is that then it works for everything you use.  So, you could point your WMC recorded tv folder to a single share and that would stay the same even though you added more and more drives in the future.  Same thing if you use something like SickBeard or anything else that wants to know where your media is.  

Just point it to a single share and let the drive pooling worry about which physical disk it is and never have to adjust things when you add more storage.

We may do this at one point as well but there are a number of drive pooling  solutions out there that will do it at a file system level which makes your life easier everywhere - not just in MB.

GlitchZA

If you are looking for a drive pooling option that can use network locations in the pool take a look at DriveBender I am using it and i haven't had any problems with it. The next release that is coming will add support for network shares in the pool.

• 4 months later...

Hi - I ran into the same problem.

Reading this thread reminded me of a simple solution I used a while back while testing another DLNA server, so I thought I'd share.

Google MKLINK - its a simple command tool that solves this very problem.

MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target

e.g.: mklink /J "N:\TV\Suits\S04" "F:\Uploads\TV\Suits\S04"

Note: My F drive folder is not part of my media library on the MB server, only the N: drive.

Edited by lal
  • Like 1

overClocked!

Hi - I ran into the same problem.

Reading this thread reminded me of a simple solution I used a while back while testing another DLNA server, so I thought I'd share.

Google MKLINK - its a simple command tool that solves this very problem.

MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target

e.g.: mklink /J "N:\TV\Suits\S04" "F:\Uploads\TV\Suits\S04"

Note: My F drive folder is not part of my media library on the MB server, only the N: drive.

What he said. Symlinks work great for situations like this. You just need to be mindful if/when you move things around. Just make sure the folder you reference with the symlink isn't also referenced elsewhere in your library path setup or you will end up with duplicates.

• 2 months later...
keysersose

Any chance of this being addressed within mediabrowser? Coming from xbmc i was disappointed to see tv shows duplicated due to have different seasons on different harddrives. I have a big library and putting all shows in one location will slow things down especially trying to access drives if they contain every show.

• Like 2

Well, like the post, and recruit other people to like the post, and then that will allow us to see what the demand is for it.

• 4 weeks later...
Flukester69

Ya I agree, ability to merge a tv shows across different folders would be nice. I was surprised that would not be an option. Looking at my TV show library sucks because i have 2 to 4 folders....lol

I don't want to make symlinks for each show in each folder. I'm lazy I guess.

Most people use drive pooling solutions to handle this which gives you a whole lot more benefits than just merging TV.

• 11 months later...
hstamas

Most people use drive pooling solutions to handle this which gives you a whole lot more benefits than just merging TV.

ebr, do you know of any pooling solutions for Mac? I looked around and can't seem to find one. Also, are people doing this post media creation?? I already have 12TB of drives filled up and can't logistically start formatting drive now to accomplish this.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
singer36

Any chance of this being addressed within mediabrowser? Coming from xbmc i was disappointed to see tv shows duplicated due to have different seasons on different harddrives. I have a big library and putting all shows in one location will slow things down especially trying to access drives if they contain every show.

Agree. But as a recent emby user (nearly addict), i consider this as non blocking...

Still, having this managed directly by Emby would make the emby product even better.

The goal of those product are making the user requirements as light as possible...

But i am sure dev team has more important feature to develop for now. :)

• 1 month later...
venom986

On Mac you could pick one location to be your master and symlink seasons in it from other locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deathsquirrel

On Mac you could pick one location to be your master and symlink seasons in it from other locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do the equivalent on all platforms I'm sure.  Certainly junction points swing that on windows.

• 1 month later...
Kraevin

+1

I would love to see this feature added. I currently use netdrive for my one of my drives and drive pooling doesn't pick up the netdrive =(