Opus Audio

Hitec

GuardedAirplane

I am currently having this issue with a TCL 55R635 TV running ROKU version 10.0.0 build 4209 with Emby app version 4.0 build 31 and Emby server 4.7.0.12 beta. I notice it is transcoding both 7.1 and 5.1 tracks that I am fairly certain worked before. Both examples work fine on my iPhone 12, so I think it is a Roku not server or content issue. It isn't a major issue as obviously I don't care much about bandwidth inside my home, but seems to be a regression.

6 hours ago, GuardedAirplane said:

I am currently having this issue with a TCL 55R635 TV running ROKU version 10.0.0 build 4209 with Emby app version 4.0 build 31 and Emby server 4.7.0.12 beta. I notice it is transcoding both 7.1 and 5.1 tracks that I am fairly certain worked before. Both examples work fine on my iPhone 12, so I think it is a Roku not server or content issue. It isn't a major issue as obviously I don't care much about bandwidth inside my home, but seems to be a regression.

Hi.  This is Opus audio?  I don't think we've found any Roku device that will play that but can we please see the ffmpeg log?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
esaym153
On 9/19/2021 at 12:51 PM, GuardedAirplane said:

I just noticed something similar. A year ago I updated my rendering stack to use webm containers with vp9 and opus. These played fine on my Roku ultra. I am now noticing that I am getting transcoding on the same files that used to direct play. I'm running emby server 4.6.7.0, was going to update, but if you are running the beta and having the same issue, then it is probably something within the roku app.

13 hours ago, esaym153 said:

I just noticed something similar. A year ago I updated my rendering stack to use webm containers with vp9 and opus. These played fine on my Roku ultra. I am now noticing that I am getting transcoding on the same files that used to direct play. I'm running emby server 4.6.7.0, was going to update, but if you are running the beta and having the same issue, then it is probably something within the roku app.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:40 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  This is Opus audio?  I don't think we've found any Roku device that will play that but can we please see the ffmpeg log?

Thanks.

esaym153
On 1/19/2022 at 9:35 AM, ebr said:

I bought the Roku ultra in 2019 specifically because someone on here stated it played opus/ogg audio just fine (along with newer video codecs). I did a bunch of tests with file size and quality over a month (this was back in 2019), and eventually decided on using webm with vp9 and opus for my format of choice.

I encoded a few things, but really haven't added anything new until a couple of weeks ago. This is when I noticed the transcoding issue. I know for a fact in 2019 I was getting direct play. Not sure what changed. Specifically the 20191222_emily.webm file (logs attached) was one I made and used during my initial testing back in 2019. It direct streams to a web browser, but roku is trancoding it. In all cases, the reason is "Audio codec unsupported". These attached logs don't show me much, would it be better if I enabled debugging options on the server and sent a log from the roku app? These logs are right after I updated to the latest version and restarted the roku box.

hardware_detection-63778792650.txt hardware_detection-63778792595.txt embyserver-63778792645.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a1f9646b-7e3b-4f19-96a0-eefe9d187256_1.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-b4082914-bd61-4132-9362-38ccef8ab8c7_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c3f57a9d-5b11-4e40-ada7-d02b56192bde_1.txt

Edited by esaym153

Hi.  The app does not support direct playback of Opus audio because we have not found it to work reliably.  Then, because your video codec is VP9, that ends up needing to be converted as well when we need to convert the audio.

The most compatible format would be h264 with ac3 audio.

@esaym153 Interesting. Maybe the latest Roku firmware changes inside the video player are increasing compatibility again? I notice Roku are using a completely new video layer with a new loading animation. I bet you have noticed it too. The video player has larger text for titles, places things inside the edge corners of the screen instead of the center, etc. These were changes Roku introduced. But here is the interesting part...

image.png

@ebr Roku updated SDK docs and detection methods. This also means a more complete HDR/DV/HLG profile can be built which is awesome. :)

esaym153

@speechles so I guess you are saying a webm file with vp9 and opus should direct stream? Or at least in the future it will? What happened to it direct streaming a couple of years ago just fine, did sometime get changed somewhere?

2 hours ago, esaym153 said:

@speechles so I guess you are saying a webm file with vp9 and opus should direct stream? Or at least in the future it will? What happened to it direct streaming a couple of years ago just fine, did sometime get changed somewhere?

In the future it will "Direct Play" and give you faster playback without transcoding anything. The WEBM is compatible and so are both the VP9 and OPUS streams are 100% compatible with your Roku. Earlier versions of Roku firmware were not so nice. But times have changed and we change with the times. :)

Edited by speechles