Opus Audio

Hitec

New user here.   I am having trouble streaming Opus audio to my Roku Ultra.   The Roku gives a message of Playback Error - ignored.  At first I thought Emby was trying to direct play the file in the opus format which is not supported by the Roku, but after looking at the logs, I do not believe that to be the case.   The music file plays fine while streaming to my PC, phone, or Fire TV.  I attached 2 log files. One while playing the Roku, and the other while playing on the Fire TV.

Thank You

Log Roku.txt

Log Fire TV.txt

The roku ultra can actually play back opus directly without transcoding. Why do you believe it isn't supported? It clearly shows in device.getAudioDecodeInfo() that roku ultra supports up to 5.1 (6 channel) in opus format.

capabilities

snipped. no give aways to p _ _ x

playback
snipped. no give aways to p _ _ x

Edited by speechles

Just going by this guide from roku. 

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Audio+and+Video+Support#AudioandVideoSupport-SupportedAudioFormats

Supported Audio Formats

Roku devices support the following audio file types:

• AAC: HE-AACv2, AAC-LC (CBR)
  • MP3
  • WMA, WAV (PCM)
  • AIFF
  • FLAC
  • ALAC
  • Dolby Audio: Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3)
  • Passthrough: DTS

Maybe this is old information? 

Edited by jbwindham

Just going by this guide from roku. 

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Audio+and+Video+Support#AudioandVideoSupport-SupportedAudioFormats

Supported Audio Formats

Roku devices support the following audio file types:

• AAC: HE-AACv2, AAC-LC (CBR)
  • MP3
  • WMA, WAV (PCM)
  • AIFF
  • FLAC
  • ALAC
  • Dolby Audio: Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3)
  • Passthrough: DTS

I dont think anybody developing for roku even looks  at that anymore. It's not accurate.

O6Y9lym.png

Yeah, the roku ultra supports opus. It clearly advertises this. Also has vorbis support which is also missing from that paste above. Roku expects developers to use this rather than some document humans must update. In this way the hardware is telling you what it supports. I just think ebr hasn't added the opus part. Easy enough, as the code to add support for it is quite simple.

Now about why it didn't transcode and play for you anyways. It should do this its just a 2 channel opus stream. Weird... Other rokus that do not support OPUS playback directly will need transcoding to work.. So.. yeah.. just adding my 2cents here that it could be direct streamed just fine and didn't need transcoding...

Thanks for the replies.   I can wait unitl a new release is out for this little bug.  I have the Flac originals, and they play fine.  Emby can be a little confusing if I have my regular "Albums" library and the "Flac Archive" library enabled.  It shows multiple copies of the same album. 

Speechles, where did you get the "about your device" screen grab?   I have looked all over for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried the beta version, and i have the same results, "Playback Error - ignored".

Edited by jbwindham

For giggles, I re-encoded trying different codecs.  I don't know if this helps, but this is what worked and what didn't.  

Roku working 

MP3 - Lame   3.100                             

WMA - version 10

FLAC - 1.3.2

Roku not working

Opus - 1.21

Ogg Vorbis -  not sure which version

AAC

Fire TV Working

MP3

AAC

FLAC

Ogg Vorbis

Opus

Fire TV Not Working

WMA

Edited by jbwindham

I just tried the beta version, and i have the same results, "Playback Error - ignored".

You have transcoding enabled on your server, correct?

Can you reproduce this and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app and also provide the server log and any ffmpeg logs that are generated at the same time?

Thanks.

Are there any other settings for transcoding that I might have missed other than the setting in the Users menu?

Opus, WMA, MP3, & Flac do not produce transcoding logs.  I assume it is trying direct playback so no transcoding is being done.  OGG, and AAC produce the logs.  AAC shows an error message of invalid data near the bottom of the log.  Out of all the formats only WMA, MP3, and Flac work on my Roku.  I also have a Speex file in my test directory, but it doesn't show up in Emby, so I assume that Speex is not supported.  All recognized formats stream to my phone, browser, and the Emby windows app. 

I sent the log file from the Emby Beta app on the log file.  

AAC Transcode Log.txt

OGG Transcode Log.txt

Server.txt

post-340310-0-90730900-1535776392_thumb.png

I just installed the new beta 3.0.103, and had some changes.  AAC and Vorbis are now working, but Flac is broken and Opus is still not working.   MP3 is working.  Also it might be because it is a beta version, but I get a continuous "spinny thingy" on the screen while the music is playing.   I included the log files. 

I sent the log from the Roku at 10:22pm Central time.

Thanks

AAC Log.txt

Vorbis Log.txt

Server Log.txt

Edited by jbwindham

One more thing I found, and I hope this helps.   I can use the Roku media player app to connect to my NAS via a non Emby DLNA app running on the server.  All files play correctly through Roku's built in media player. 

I just installed the new beta 3.0.103, and had some changes.  AAC and Vorbis are now working, but Flac is broken and Opus is still not working.   MP3 is working.  Also it might be because it is a beta version, but I get a continuous "spinny thingy" on the screen while the music is playing.   I included the log files. 

I sent the log from the Roku at 10:22pm Central time.

Thanks

Hi.  The log you sent from the app didn't contain any playback but it looks like only transcoded audio is working for you.

I successfully played three different flac files with the beta yesterday.  Do you have a sample of one that doesn't work for you (also opus)?

I appreciate you helping me try to  figure this out.   Here are 4 samples I made with 2 different encoders, Freac, and T Audio Converter.  In the filename of the samples you can see the version of the encoder used.  None play through Emby beta 3.0.103, but all samples play through the Roku media player.   The Flac samples play fine through the Emby 3.0.97 release.  

My Roku is on Software Version 8.1.0 (build 4145).  

The samples are zipped up because the website wouldn't permit me to upload audio files.  Each file within the zip is a 29 second audio clip.

Audio Samples.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play

Also having an issue direct playing OPUS 5.1 audio. File plays fine using Roku Media Player. This is on a Roku 4K TV.

Please list your Emby Roku app version number.

Might also be related to opus not given direct stream ability. Aka a transcoding profile. See the other Roku threads I've posted in today. All are same scenario.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

A big thank you to all the hard working developers.   I just updated to the 3.0.108 beta release, and all audio formats are direct playing on the Roku now.   :D

A big thank you to all the hard working developers.   I just updated to the 3.0.108 beta release, and all audio formats are direct playing on the Roku now.   :D

Actually, that is a misnomer. They should be, I wish they were. They work in the video player just fine. But it seems the RSGA apps and the SDKA apps are using a different audio player for some codecs. I've personally tested all my sample library, and believe me it is comprehensive. Ape and all those glorious extensions from the past. Any that could, are supported. So it is transcoding some, but reporting direct play. This is a known bug. I don't want to list the codecs supported (p _ _ x is way behind on the roku profile game), but rest assured I ran the gamut.

When there comes a time that this changes I can give more information. But in all my tests with RSGA, you cannot play Flac, Opus, or Vorbis on firmware 8.1.0 build 4159-29. You can play this on this firmware with SDKA applications. So this tells me something is fishy at Roku Co. and this might be part of the OS9 rush. That bugs were left we just live with until then. They pulled all hands into rushing OS9 into the light. This might be part of it, or we might be at fault ourselves. It is too early to tell you but all the time spent checking for answers told me we arent doing anything wrong. So I must assume, the only thing it can be, is Roku.

Edited by speechles