Sorry guys..

minipete

minipete

..but I'm extremely irritated by Emby. I was hoping it was a good Plex alternative using my Mac as a server but I've wasted £4 on a subscription and can't play a thing. It deletes files from my library for no reason which is absurd and when you look for support there are just countless speculative geeky threads about 'trying this' and 'trying that'. It make no sense to someone like me who has neither the time nor the slightest inclination to mess about with the all the settings, hoping for a faint whiff of success. Appalling piece of software, please, please don't release this stuff - thanks for nothing!

Hi there, we're happy to help if you can provide a little more information.

This is just a guess, but if you didn't drag the download into your MacOS Applications folder, then the server will not have permission to execute it's embedded ffmpeg binary, and as a result you won't be able to play anything.

Thanks.

minipete

Hi Luke - apologies for my rant, I was having a bad day! I have been really frustrated with Plex for some time now for the reasons I've talked about here and I was hoping Emby was the answer. I feared it was the same old, same old again. I did what you said and I think I've found my answer - so far it works brilliantly across all platforms so yes, I feel like a complete idiot (but in a good way!) for my earlier comments. I hope it continues and thanks for your help.

• Like 3