Special Features location

thekingswolf

adamstewiegreen

I agree that cast pictures could be much smaller and still be fine.

Also i wish we had an option to display only the main contributors.

Something like the 5 main actors, the director and maybe the writer and music guy.

The line would feel less cluttered and have more use for me.

Having to scroll by 50 people before i get to who wrote this movie, is a little bit annoying and prohibits me from using this feature much.

I'd like to see director, writer, cinematographer written somewhere on the main page (no picture necc. Imo) along with the top 5 actors w/ pictures (I agree with smaller actor pics - I did this through CSS on the web already).

More controversially, I'd be interested in seperate actor/crew, extras, and chapter pages so that the main page (I do really like the look of the new Android update) is a single page (i.e. no scrolling).

adamstewiegreen

How do you determine the "main" actors?

Top billing. Emby already sorts them by billing. Sometimes it's skewed when A list actors have minor roles in old movies, like Samuel L Jackson often appears near the top of movies like Menace II Society. But this is quite rare.

How do you determine the "main" actors?

It could maybe work by adding a checkbox or something in the movie metadata to be able to determine who is a main "displayable" person...

So maybe by default everybody get a check mark and people who want less persons displayed can go uncheck the boxes... or work with sone kind of filtering rules, say something like...

Actors = 5

Directors = 1

Writers = 1

Music guy = 1

Best boy = 0

Etc

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by MndWrp

So maybe by default everybody get a check mark and people who want less persons displayed can go uncheck the boxes... 

If you want to go to that manual effort, you can do that now - just delete all the actors you don't want to show in each movie.

However, that isn't really a practical solution I don't think.

We could theoretically institute limits but then we're subject to the metadata being ordered properly.

• Like 1

I also agree that the specials/ extras should be moved before the actors, etc. After all, the trailers are also near the top. I have tons of specials and never think to view them because they are out of sight.

• Like 1

If you want to go to that manual effort, you can do that now - just delete all the actors you don't want to show in each movie.

However, that isn't really a practical solution I don't think.

We could theoretically institute limits but then we're subject to the metadata being ordered properly.

I do agree that a limit system is way better than manual editing.

And in my opinion, the order is mostly fine (99% i'd say) and that 1% can always be fixed manually for purists.

However this now is actually pretty off topic... should i start a new suggestion thread ?

I would like to have those kind of options within the User-Profile.
Every user could rearrange the content of a page as he preferres.

Some of them would like to have the actors before the features... some of them don't even care about the actors and could just disable this content.

I'd like to see director, writer, cinematographer written somewhere on the main page (no picture necc. Imo) along with the top 5 actors w/ pictures (I agree with smaller actor pics - I did this through CSS on the web already).

I would hate this.  I don't care if there are 50 actors listed I want to be able to see them.

Often when watching a movie I'll see someone and can't remember their name.  It won't be a top 5 actor in my case usually but some supporting actor.

I sometimes binge watch movies based on a particular actor/actress and always look to see the character they play in the movies big or small.  Having a limit of 5 or so would be a serious dent in being able to binge watch/lookup info easily.

Same with searching for a person.  When I see all the movies listed for a person and choose a particular move of theirs, I want to see them listed in the movie itself as well.

• Like 1

Wow - thats a shock i agree with @cayars  :P

LOL, we agree on most things actually. ;)

levander

I don’t like the idea of limiting cast and crew, if there is any kind of limit it should be optional. Showing Cast in one row and Crew in another would be better for everyone.

adamstewiegreen

I don't know wtf I was drinking when I typed that. I was replying about the smaller actor images and some crew not needing pictures (imo) and I have no idea why I mentioned limiting the list. I do the exact same thing @@cayars does going through movies by actor and limiting it would not benefit me. /Facepalm

On a side note: a cinematographer addition would be great. They've gone down somewhat in importance since the advent of digital media but they used to have a lot of say in the feel of a movie.

• Like 1

My argument was about having a setting to limit only the display to how many you want, with the metadata still intact. If today you want 5, set to five. Tomorrow you prefer 10, set to 10... Or to "display all" ...which should be the default anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

LOL - No we don't  :P

Bet we do.  You like Emby, me too.

I bet you like the devs, me too.

I bet you think Emby is the Best, most versatile media server available, me too.

I bet you're pretty happy overall with Emby, me too.

Bet you like were the product is going, me too.

The things we disagree on are likely small potatoes in the scheme of things and likely UI related.  Honestly I have no idea what we disagree on as I don't tend to think about who I agree or disagree with in the forums.  I know we all use Emby slightly differently, have different equipment and sized TVs and probably have different clients we support, that will always cause some features (and designs) to be more important to one person then another.  The difference you speak of may be more of a preference than a difference.

I know I often add more info to a thread then needed.  Might be bad habit but I tend to think of new features from a dev standpoint and try to think of ways to maximize the use of any addition/change and to think about how it would affect existing features or ways people already use the system.  I've ran nearly every Media Software out there worth running and have a mental list of the good and bad features they each have as well as what they could have done better.  Plex for example has a lot of nice feature that IMHO aren't complete.  80% to 90% there, but those last remaining percent just make the feature unusable to many.  I try to help avoid that by expressing things up front when it matters.  When that happens it doesn't mean I disagree with anything already said, just that I see more potential...

Anyway, enough side tracked conversation. :)

Charlie117

I personally think the current default is perfect and I use all three rows frequently: cast, extras and chapters. Especially with music related content such as live concerts, chapters are used for song selection and are a must for me to access from the details overview. I would hate to see them moved anywhere else.

But yeah, otherwise more customisation is always nice to have  :)

Edited by Charlie117

• 2 weeks later...
crusher11

My issue is I generally have to scroll past four or five rows of actors, then another four or five rows of chapters, to get to the special features. It's silly. Horizontal scrolling on those sections to keep them to one row each, at least.

• 4 years later...
seanfletcher255

if it is relatively easy we could make all those customizable with a default settings? at least for the web ui i don't know how other clients would work or not work

1 minute ago, seanfletcher255 said:

if it is relatively easy we could make all those customizable with a default settings? at least for the web ui i don't know how other clients would work or not work

Hi, to make what exactly customizable?

seanfletcher255
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, to make what exactly customizable?

oh sorry the movie/episode/video detail page i.e the order of the various parts everyone seems to disagree on location/ordering just spit balling not sure how you would save that except as some kind of xml or database related info

got lost in my thoughts and forgot to say that

Edited by seanfletcher255