Special Features location

thekingswolf

thekingswolf

When i add special features to a movie, it lists them below the cast and crew.  I feel like it should be above.  It should be movie details, then special features below that, then cast and crew below that.  People will browse special features and stuff before they look at cast and crew.  The way it is now, users might not even realize there are special features at all because of placement.  Can i edit this myself in the CSS somewhere?  I would love to be able to institute my own suggestions on my end, or work with the devs to work on the code to help bring about some of these minor changes.  I feel like the requests made in here might not ever really get implemented.

5b6fc4a331ecb_1.png

Edited by thekingswolf
  • Like 3

I think for most the cast is information they're going to want to see when choosing a movie. I think we have it right, at least in my opinion.

• Like 2

thekingswolf

myself and all my existing users disagree.  is there a way i can change this just for my server?  

• Like 1

Sammy

I'm behind the times.. how to add and categorize special features in the library so they show on the movie page?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sammy

Okay.. I typically rip only the main movie. I like that Plex pulls special features from the internet and I don't have to do anything, include storing them. Can Emby do this?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

thekingswolf

also i'm assuming since i've asked multiple times and gotten no answer, I shouldn't expect any advice or assistance on how to make this change just on my local server using css or something

• Like 1

CBers

I've always thought scenes (chapters) should be before/above cast and crew.

Perhaps SPECIAL FEATURES/EXTRAS should be under an additional button, like trailers are.

• Like 2

levander

Hi, 

I also feel that it is wrong to put Special Features after Cast & Crew but only in Web App. It feels like I may miss it. On the other hand in Apple TV client (which I use) I actually like the way it is: Cast & Crew before Special Features looks and feels good and I wouldn't change that there.

I think emby end clients should look for good presentation and emby server should look for functionality and management. They should have different logic because of different purposes. For example Additional Parts is not visible on Apple TV and I like that, but it is visible in web app and I find that sometimes useful. Also it would be great to include local trailers to be visible as Special Features are. 

• Like 1

thekingswolf

i guess really my issue is that i think it's really easy to miss the fact that there are special features with a particular release.  it's not something I have a lot of, and it's easy to miss if you don't already to know it's there.  i'm thinking maybe i'll just do a custom poster for a release with special features, have a star or some other kind of icon that indicates there is something additional to see

Edited by thekingswolf

levander

i guess really my issue is that i think it's really easy to miss the fact that there are special features with a particular release.  it's not something I have a lot of, and it's easy to miss if you don't already to know it's there.  i'm thinking maybe i'll just do a custom poster for a release with special features, have a star or some other kind of icon that indicates there is something additional to see

For finding releases with special features you can also use filter for special feature in Web app (which is not working at the moment).

ellnic

I agree with the OP here. The specials are still the content so should come closer to the top where the main feature is. Cast is like additional nicety info so should sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
steamhead

Since many other parts of the layout order can be customised in user preferences, this seems to me to be another one of those. So those that like the current layout can stay as they are and those that don't can tweak it. But I agree with TKW, Virtually every movie has actors, but not all have special features, and you don't see that without scrolling. Perhaps a thin line of buttons to skip to each subsection, which only appears if it exists might be a good compromise (and have the appearence of that a user preference).

On a similar front, if you are looking at where and how special features appear, you can store your special features categorised by folder, e.g. extras, shorts, deleted scenes etc but they all come out together in Special features in the client. It would be nice to have the option (again by preference) to keep the folder distinction in the client with separate sections per type of feature. This would be particularly useful for deleted scenes, since at present with them mixed with other extras you need to prefix their names with something that indicates it's a deleted scene, shortening the actual description length you can use for the scene, but if it was in a deleted scenes section/folder the whole name could then be used to describe the scene.

• Like 3

Navigation first 

movie/show related info next

cast

If you generate chapters you want this closest as it's a navigational item of the movie/show.

Next IMHO you want related info to the show/movie which could be the specials.

Cast should follow these as they are episode/show additional information.

Cast could be used more then the others by some people but there should be a hierarchy of ordering that makes sense from current episode, to season, to show info for shows and similar for movies to keep consistent.

• Like 1

I think the only way chapters ahead of cast makes sense is if you know all your movies and have seem then all already. If you're browsing movies you haven't seen before and you're trying to decide what to watch, then it's essential. Once you've read the initial description of a movie, usually the next thing you want to know is who is in it. There is no way we're going to bump that information half way down the screen.

• Like 1

Logical layout vs practical layout.

I myself generate the chapters but I can't remember the last time I actually used them.  I use cast all the time. :)

Hi, I am with @@thekingswolf on this.

The reason being that I know that I always have the Cast & Crew info on all medias, so even if it's not immediately visible on the top, it is on the page somewhere whereas the special features is very specific and would be too easy to miss if hidden below.

If there is no consensus, maybe, as suggested, an option to let the user decide would be a good solution.

• 4 months later...
DerrickM

This should be customizable. I personally agree with the OP. It seems pretty silly to have the cast above the special features. But it doesn't seem like either view has a majority. Just let each user choose. More than likely if I am watching the movie I already know who is in it. I only really use the cast to find other movies with a particular actor.

• Like 1

It's not a bad idea, it just takes time for those kinds of options to be built. That means until we have those we have to do the best we can to choose the best default behavior.

I agree that cast pictures could be much smaller and still be fine.

Also i wish we had an option to display only the main contributors.

Something like the 5 main actors, the director and maybe the writer and music guy.

The line would feel less cluttered and have more use for me.

Having to scroll by 50 people before i get to who wrote this movie, is a little bit annoying and prohibits me from using this feature much.