MBS - Mark "Media Folder" as never offline

AdrianW

AdrianW

I'd like to be able to flag Media Folders (in the Library section of MBS web client) as "Never offline" or some thing similar - so the content would never get flagged as offline.

All my content is on a NAS, which I have scheduled to turn on at 3pm and off at 12:30am.

If MBS runs a scan during it's "off time", then everything gets marked as "offline". I have removed the "wake from sleep" event for media scanning to hopefully prevent scanning whilst my NAS is off. But, it would be safer if there was no chance of this occurring by accident.

AdrianW

If the above isn't possible - how about an option to prevent automatically started scans during certain hours.  

My wife just sat down to watch something and was again faced with absolutely everything having the "offline" banner even though everything was most definitely online. I'm sure this is because a scan had been run hours earlier whilst my NAS was off.

Beardyname

You can change the Scheduler thing, Not sure if you can set it to certain hours. Otherwise i would suggest that we suggest (lol) that feature specifically since it would be much much easier than marking certain items "never offline".

Beardyname

Just checked and you can set the library to just scan at certain hours. So i would suggest you try out that :)

AdrianW

I've already set the scan trigger to only run during my NAS's operation hours, but occasionally I still end up with everything marked as offline. Looking at the log, it appeared that the task had run in the middle of the night.

Perhaps one of these ideas would work:

• Have a setting in MBS to enter a server name as being the "Primary Content Server" - and if that server is offline then MBS should do nothing, except perhaps report to clients that all content is offline (but without marking every single item as offline).
  • Have an option "Mark offline content as offline" - which I could uncheck, in that case a scan that accidentally ran when the content was offline wouldn't mark the content as offline.

• If a client tries to play an item that is marked as "offline" then the server should check it's current status, and if it is actually online then just play it - rather than displaying a popup (in MBC) that the content is offline.

Did you turn off the real-time monitoring?  Seems in your situation you will probably need to do that as well.

AdrianW

Did you turn off the real-time monitoring?  Seems in your situation you will probably need to do that as well.

I'm not sure if I did or not, I'll check when I get home from work. If I do that, it would be even more import to have an easy way to initiate a scan "Update Library" from MBC

Would real-time monitoring actually pick up that network shares were offline? Is it polling samba shares or something?

Edited by AdrianW

If your entire library is what isn't available, then turning off real time monitoring won't help.  We don't poll other than the library scan itself.

When these items show as offline in MBC, is the play button visible in the detail page or is it not there?

Try updating to the dev release of MBC (149) and see if it handles your situation better.  I've put in some code to ensure an item is truly off line at playback time before treating it that way.  It won't help them showing as offline in other apps but it should allow playback in MBC if the item is actually available.

LindseyJ06

I would like to request the same feature as well.

I have MB Server and MediaCenter client on the same machine. On that machine I have 4 USB 3.0 drives connected.

As we all now Windows 8.1 has verry bad USB 3.0 drivers, so one or more drives sometimes just dont come up.

I guess MB did a scan while one or more drives were offline, and now half of my collection is flagged offline. And when I check now all drives are up and running and I can start the movies outside MB just fine.

How can I remove the flag?

How can I disable the Flagging of Offline Items permenantly?

Why doesnt MB see that my drives are up again and unflag the files on them?

I have updated MB Server and MediaCenter Client last weekend (05-04-2014) with the beta versions.

Kind regards,

Lindsey

I don't think this specific request is a very good approach to the issue.  Doing things like what I did in the latest version of MBC (confirming the status at the time you actually want to play the item) is a better approach and there may be others.

For your situation, just run another library scan from the server.  If the drives are alive, it will recognize it.

If you use MBC, update to the Beta version and then it shouldn't be much of an issue.