Emby Server Connection and Restart Failure After Media Library Browsing

larsonDigital

larsonDigital

Suddenly the Emby Media Server seems to have a problem.  Both my Emby apps (Windows 7 Emby Theater and Android app) say,

"Connection Failure: We're unable to connect to the selected server right now.  Please ensure it is running and try again."

On the server (Windows Server 2016 Standard), I right-click on Emby Server in the task tray and click "Restart Emby Server," but Emby Tray says,

"Unable to restart server."

In the Task Manager on the server, I can kill the Electron processes (two of them) or embytray.exe [Details tab] (two of them), and start the server again from the Start Menu > Emby > Emby Server.  This works temporarily, but now we get to the where the problem started I think,  If I launch Emby Theater (Windows 7) again and start scrolling down through Albums (as I was doing to see if all the album covers artwork was there), I get about half way through my Albums and suddenly no more album artwork is displayed, only titles/artists.  I click on one to see if it will bring up the album, and suddenly Emby Theater can't connect again.  This seems to start the whole process over.  I go back to the server and can't restart it; I have to kill it, and then restart it.  I'm not sure what's going on now.  Can anybody help please?

I have attached the server log, if that helps.

Thanks,

James

embyserverlogs.zip

larsonDigital

Hi Luke, thanks for getting back to me!

When the connection failure first starts, EmbyServer.exe is running.  After a couple of minutes or so, it seems to crash.  Restarting it does not solve the problem.  I still have to kill the two tray processes in order to get the connection back.  I also noticed that I can't kill the EmbyServer.exe task.  I get "Unable to terminate process.  The operation could not be completed.  Access is denied."  I have to wait until it crashes itself in order to restart the server.  Attached are logs from when I tested this out this morning.

Thanks Luke!

James

embyserverlogs2.zip

JoeWar

Hello,

I’m running the Emby server on Win10 and experience the same problem as described above. It has likely started with some of the last builds including last beta. Some libraries do not include all the artworks and displaying those results in a server crash. I tried to rebuild affected libraries without success as the server seems to have troubles appending artworks. See my log attached.

Thx for any advise

Josef

embyserver-63669276273.txt

Edited by JoeWar

larsonDigital

Just an update here ...

I'm not 100% positive, but I think this might be okay now!  :)   Some of my album artwork is coming up as just a black square, but it seems to be a minute few now.  And more importantly, Emby Server doesn't seem to be hanging and crashing when scrolling through or clicking on albums in the app.  My Emby Server is still on version 3.5.2.0, which I think is what it was when I started having the issue, but I'm not 100% on that either.  If there was not an update, then I don't know what changed.

Thanks,

James

larsonDigital

Shoot!  I may have spoken too soon.  Not long after I seemed to be navigating through my entire Music Library with ease, the Emby app hung up, just spinning and spinning, trying to connect to the server it seemed.  I finally restarted the Emby Server, but the Emby apps (both Android, and Windows 7 Emby Theater) are running quite slow; takes a while to do anything.  I did copy over more music (about 200GB worth), so maybe that is slowing it down today.  Luke, does it take a couple of days before adding that much media becomes readily accessable via the apps?

Thanks again,

James

farsayl

I'd like to add my two cents to this.

Recently had to set up my server again due to a system failure a couple months ago. Reinstalled Emby Server on Windows 10 and set it up to point to my libraries.

Library scan took a while and seemed to complete successfully. However not even two minutes after, the server was inaccessible and I couldn't restart it without stopping "electron.exe" from task manager. Even after restarting the server, I was unable to access the interface for more than about 30 seconds.

Tried this process multiple times, with several different configurations, with a full reinstall of Emby Server on the latest stable release (3.5.2) and also with the latest beta release (3.6.0.2).

I finally have the server working currently on the 3.6.0.2 beta with seemingly no issues by not adding my music library at all. Not sure what's going on, and unfortunately don't have log files after the full reinstall, just thought I'd offer up my experience here as well. Hope it helps!

larsonDigital

I'm running Windows Server 2016 Standard, which is on version 1607 (as opposed to Windows 10 which is currently on version 1803), so it's as up to date as it can get, except for this month's cumulative update (2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4343887)) because I usually hold off a few weeks to install the very latest update.

Hope that helps,

James

• 3 weeks later...

+1 here.

Running Server 2016 on Emby 3.5.20. WIndows fully up to date.

Embyserver.exe seems to die and leave embytray.exe (x2) running.

Kill them off and restart and the server stay running for anything from 5 mins to a day (can't seem to tell what triggers it) then it happens again.

Can pass logs over if required.

Thought it might have something to do with enabling Intel Quick Sync for transcoding but I've gone back to "None" and it's still happening.

Edited by Crestj

Hi,

are there any chances that above described issue will be resolved any soon? My server has been offline due this problem for pretty long. In the meantime, I tried to reinstall the Emby server, but it seems to crash even faster now (see last log attached). First, I performed uninstall with deleting all preferences. I just kept the original nfo and artwork files inside the media folders…would deleting these help? I was considering purchasing a lifetime license but this long term outage makes me to tend give Plex a try. I like Emby and would appreciate any help.

Thx

Josef

embyserver-63672387682.txt

I would try again with the next release of the server as there was one image-related crash i was able to reproduce and solve. Thanks.

Ok thanks, it seems to be image processing related. When I said next release I really meant next major release, meaning 3.6.

3.5.3 is just a small patch release to address a couple things. We have updated our image processing library in 3.6. I was not comfortable throwing that into the 3.5 branch so that's why you might have to wait a bit longer. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am facing same problem I am on 3.5.Server and sometime even opening a item from library crashes the server and sometime it crashes during playback. Below is what i get in raspbian

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ systemctl status emby-server
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Fri 2018-10-12 09:09:30 IST; 1min 45s a
  Process: 642 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=A
 Main PID: 642 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Oct 12 08:27:01 raspberrypi emby-server[642]:       _STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATI
Oct 12 08:27:01 raspberrypi emby-server[642]:       _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DU
Oct 12 08:27:01 raspberrypi emby-server[642]: Stream mapping:
Oct 12 08:27:01 raspberrypi emby-server[642]:   Stream #0:2 -> #0:0 (copy)
Oct 12 08:27:01 raspberrypi emby-server[642]: Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
Oct 12 08:27:11 raspberrypi emby-server[642]: [1.3K blob data]
Oct 12 08:27:13 raspberrypi emby-server[642]: video:0kB audio:0kB subtitle:16kB
Oct 12 09:09:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited
Oct 12 09:09:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed
Oct 12 09:09:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
larsonDigital

Hey Luke,

It seems the Emby Media Server is causing other issues in Windows Server 2016 Standard, probably when it crashes and has to restart, but I'm not positive.  What I do know is that if I DO NOT use Emby apps (Windows, Android, Samsung Blu-ray Player, PS3) to access my music on the server, Windows Server 2016 Standard runs fine.  If I do access my music, Windows has issues, like it can't complete Windows Backup.  It seems to have even caused a problem with Updates.  So I've had stop using it for now, and am looking forward to release 3.6 to hopefully resolve these issues.  Will Premiere supporters get an email or anything when this is available?

Thanks,

James