Using 3rd party plugin in Emby for servicing content from Google Drive

ddurdle

Shabbypenguin

No guide, but that is also why normally I assist people through discord or slack.  I've also helped people by installing and setting up, as long they are using a linux sytem.

Is there somewhere to get the link to the discord channel? Id like to switch over from my current setup but im on windows. i dont mind grabbing a cheap vps to act as the host if gdrive is doing all the hard work. Im assuming this is either staying withing gdrive limits or using the unlimited gsuites accounts?

ddurdle

Is there somewhere to get the link to the discord channel? Id like to switch over from my current setup but im on windows. i dont mind grabbing a cheap vps to act as the host if gdrive is doing all the hard work. Im assuming this is either staying withing gdrive limits or using the unlimited gsuites accounts?

You can get a VPS or you can also try a GCE.  1 year free trial of $300 will run a good server for 1 year.  After the 1 year you can drop it down to the free tier.  

Edited by ddurdle

KingMovies

Same here please. I'd love to get this working and automate the building of it.

I can help you set it up through GCE.

ddurdle

Are you guys able to skip or fast forward?

Yes, these should work.  Is it a direct play, direct stream, google transcode stream that you ran into an issue with?

KingMovies

It works on the web browser not the app. If you want I can invite you to my server and try it. My cousin having the same problem. 5b8478ece6493_SmartSelectImage_201808271

Edited by KingMovies

numberedthought

I've got the same issue when I do strm playback (when I can get it to playback an actual google transcode)

@@KingMovies Are you still available to play in an instance?

Shabbypenguin

Ive got it setup however scheduling isnt working for me and it cant look through many directories.

if i do a manual scan, i can make it work if i go to the show directory. i have my shows set up like /emby/shows/kid shows/hey dugee/season 1/episode 1.mp4 etc. if i tell it to search at kids show it wont find anything, if i have it search at hey dugee it finds the content and makes strm files.

ddurdle

It works on the web browser not the app. If you want I can invite you to my server and try it. My cousin having the same problem. 5b8478ece6493_SmartSelectImage_201808271

It says it is direct playing.  Is it a google transcode explicit you are playing back or original?

My emby connect ID is the same as my username, so if you can add me, I can test.

ddurdle

Ive got it setup however scheduling isnt working for me and it cant look through many directories.

if i do a manual scan, i can make it work if i go to the show directory. i have my shows set up like /emby/shows/kid shows/hey dugee/season 1/episode 1.mp4 etc. if i tell it to search at kids show it wont find anything, if i have it search at hey dugee it finds the content and makes strm files.

I created an issue here to track: https://github.com/ddurdle/Python-GoogleDrive-VideoStream/issues/90

I'll try to find time to replicate your folder structure and test.  From what I understand from our conversation, you had catalog disabled right?  And when you said you do a manual scan, if you do a manual save strm on "kid shows" folder, the STRMs are not created or are created?  

Shabbypenguin

I created an issue here to track: https://github.com/ddurdle/Python-GoogleDrive-VideoStream/issues/90

I'll try to find time to replicate your folder structure and test.  From what I understand from our conversation, you had catalog disabled right?  And when you said you do a manual scan, if you do a manual save strm on "kid shows" folder, the STRMs are not created or are created?  

i have ~/emby/shows/kid-shows/chalkzone/season1/episode1.avi for instance. if i scan the chalkzone folder it works flawlessly and as intended. if i scan kid-shows folder it finds nothing.

ddurdle

i have ~/emby/shows/kid-shows/chalkzone/season1/episode1.avi for instance. if i scan the chalkzone folder it works flawlessly and as intended. if i scan kid-shows folder it finds nothing.

Are you referring to scanning into Emby? or creating the STRM files?

Shabbypenguin

Are you referring to scanning into Emby? or creating the STRM files?

creating the strm files. emby has no issues with that folder setup

KingMovies

Invitation sent.

It says it is direct playing.  Is it a google transcode explicit you are playing back or original?

My emby connect ID is the same as my username, so if you can add me, I can test.

ddurdle

For some reason it is not working on Chromecast and fire TV. Anyone get it to work on both, what's your setting ?

It should work on both because I have testers on both.

Which version of emby?

KingMovies

I was using Emby 3.5.2. Now that I have the Beta 3.6.0.32 It is working fine now. Just can't skip

It should work on both because I have testers on both.

Which version of emby?

• 9 months later...
Hicko17

@ddurdle

I were wondering do you still offer support/setup for this? I am very interested in getting this running on the shared vCPU instances using Google Compute Engine. Could you kindly give me a hand setting this up please? I am more than happy to pay you for your time.

Thanks.

Adam

• 1 year later...
pmac
On 05/08/2018 at 10:28, ddurdle said:

It'll also work fine on shared vCPU instances (free tier) on Google Compute Engine.  All my test servers are hosted in GCE.  The extra ram offered in the 1 vCPU package will provide great speed improvements for navigation of large libraries (by leveraging the extra ram to host the emby sqlite ibrary.db file).

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I've been forced to find alternative options for accessing my home network from outside my LAN since switching to a new internet service that doesn't supply a public IP. I finally managed to gain access to my Emby server by setting up a Google Cloud VM running OpenVPN server and connecting my mobile devices and Emby server to it as clients.

My question is: Wouldn't the free tier very quickly go over the 1GB data egress limit each month? If so, how expensive does it tend to get? It's hard to find solid information on it when this is such a new concept to me (I'm used to being able to simply forward ports to access my network remotely). Is there a better way to accomplish something similar? I'd like to get @Luke's input on this as well, if that's alright.

Switching to this internet plan is the only way I'm able to get decent speeds in the rural area I live in, and unfortunately it works off of the mobile network and they're unable (unwilling?) to give me a public IP....

• 1 month later...

Hi, Yes this could destroy a 1GB data plan literally in minutes not monthly.  If for example you have a half hour show that's 4 GB in size and direct play it outside your network then you just used 4 GB in a half hour.

Edited by cayars