Samsung Smart TV UA40H5500 App Crashes.

ECOTV

I just recently purchased Emby Premiere (& to give it a try) but the problem that has been plaguing me the first time I tried it remains. The app which is available on the Samsung Store which Emby Server detected as Emby Theater 0.118 crashes on browsing & playing. Even if I am just scrolling on the home, the app crashes and returns to the last source (which is HDMI 1). I have to open it again and the same thing happened over and over again. Sometimes a movie would play but after an unknown of time (it varies on every video that successfully played) the app crashes once again. This issues is the biggest letdown for me the first time I tried it and yet it is still the same.

I tried the "develop" install mode provided in this forum and that one play and browse without the issue that the Emby in app store has. Though the UI is somewhat a bit outdated. What is going on here? Why is 1 app working while the one in the store does not?

Here is the attachment:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JJYLOJOJRPEXuNn0knwJp7gvNpr_3yKY

Edited by ECOTV

FrostByte

The attachment didn't upload for some reason.

Just to make sure, do you have the latest firmware updated for your TV?

Also, the thread below sounds like it may be the same thing you're seeing.  You both have the same year TV

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61110-emby-app-crashing/

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

ECOTV has 2014.  I'm also running the 2014 SmartHub, only real difference is that mine is a Premium TV with evokit

@ECOTV is there any certain key sequence that always makes yours crash, or is it just random?

I'll play around with the menus on mine a little more this morning to see if I can make mine crash too

I edited the first post with a link to the log. It is completely random crashes. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but every time it crashes out of the app back to HDMI source. I will record a video where I demonstrate how it is crashing.

Here is the screen capture on the Emby Dashboard as well as the video capture using my phone on the TV. Latest log is also attached.

https://youtu.be/BTWQ6UXzpEI

(Screen capture of the dashboard, video cut off where the TV app crash)

https://youtu.be/UvhpVgXncvM

(Recorded the TV with Emby app playing movies and browsing. App crashed when playing Back to the Future. Played for a millisecond then crashed)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QuEuv2F6KOID0lPKMUhtWq0kdg6EL-ri

(Latest log file)

• Like 1

FrostByte

Thanks, 

Not that it makes a difference, but I assume (looking at the "A" in your model number) that you had to change your region to load the app

Thanks, 

Not that it makes a difference, but I assume (looking at the "A" in your model number) that you had to change your region to load the app

Yes. I did that quite a while ago to get Amazon Prime Video and Hulu to work and also to install Emby. As I said I use Emby before but because of the constant app crashes I used Plex (I have a yearly plan right now on them)

But I also installed by using this method: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9869-samsung-smart-tv-app-install-instructions/?p=277344

So basically there are 2 Emby on the TV. The emby on the video doesn't work (keeps crashing) while the other one from the method on the link, does work

Samsung SmartTV (UA40H5500)
Emby Theater 0.118
(The one that crashes)

Samsung UA40H5500
Samsung TV v2.2.4
Edited by ECOTV

FrostByte

Unfortunately, the app in the link is no longer developed which is why it looks outdated.  It was a third party app and both of the main developers have moved on.  

So far I have not been able to duplicate this, but will try again here in order to help.  Sounds like this has been happening for awhile now and you are the second one to say something recently.  The other is in the link I posted above

Hopefully Luke or SamES will figure it out soon

Unfortunately, the app in the link is no longer developed which is why it looks outdated.  It was a third party app and both of the main developers have moved on.  

So far I have not been able to duplicate this, but will try again here in order to help.  Sounds like this has been happening for awhile now and you are the second one to say something recently.  The other is in the link I posted above

Hopefully Luke or SamES will figure it out soon

I tried Emby once and it gave me letdown when it constantly crashes. I tried it again this month because of a Youtube video I saw. I reinstalled and rescanned Emby but still it is crashing. Now i am wondering if I wasted a month of subscription if this issue won't be solve in time before my month of subs expire. I just hope I get compensated or something along that line.

Hi, we are not sure yet. We're still investigating this. Thanks.

@@ebr So what about the premiere sub? I only tried it so that I can use it on the TV.

We have an update to the app pending, so you could try that once available. Thanks.

@@ebr So what about the premiere sub? I only tried it so that I can use it on the TV.

Please let us know if the update solves your issue.

Thanks.

Please let us know if the update solves your issue.

Thanks.

Gonna try it later on my TV but what do I do if it still crashes? Last night I tried watching The 100 and I was careful not to crash it like moving through library slowly.

Edited by ECOTV

FrostByte

I was careful not to crash it like moving through library slowly.

Is that what you're doing when it crashes?  I noticed you doing that in your video.  Or, does it also crash when you just start the app and watch a movie without jumping around, switching sources, etc?

I did try moving around and getting it to crash, but maybe I wasn't going fast enough.

Edit: I don't see version 119 yet in the store.  I'll check again later

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Is that what you're doing when it crashes? I noticed you doing that in your video. Or, does it also crash when you just start the app and watch a movie without jumping around, switching sources, etc?

I did try moving around and getting it to crash, but maybe I wasn't going fast enough.

Edit: I don't see version 119 yet in the store. I'll check again later

Yes. That's what I've been doing last year and now.

Correction on previous reply. The app hasn't replied. I thought 0.118 is the new version when my app is already 0.118 already. Is there a version 0.119 coming soon?

FrostByte

Yes. That's what I've been doing last year and now.

Okay, thanks

Correction on previous reply. The app hasn't replied. I thought 0.118 is the new version when my app is already 0.118 already. Is there a version 0.119 coming soon?

Yes, it's in review at Samsung.  Hopefully it will be available soon as Samsung doesn't seem to take as long testing Orsay apps.

Okay, thanks

Yes, it's in review at Samsung.  Hopefully it will be available soon as Samsung doesn't seem to take as long testing Orsay apps.

Oh and I just found out a certain part of the app that crashes when used. Selecting subtitle. When I hit the selection for subtitle, the selection appears but the highlight doesn't. No way to go back because the back button on the remote doesn't work or the app hangs (yes, the back button on my remote works fine). You keep pressing it until the app crashes. Sometimes the selection for subtitle works but it rarely works. Either on internal subtitle or external subtitle. It doesn't matter really. The app crashes every time. When it crashes every time I revert to using Plex.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Oh and I just found out a certain part of the app that crashes when used. Selecting subtitle. When I hit the selection for subtitle, the selection appears but the highlight doesn't. No way to go back because the back button on the remote doesn't work or the app hangs (yes, the back button on my remote works fine). You keep pressing it until the app crashes. Sometimes the selection for subtitle works but it rarely works. Either on internal subtitle or external subtitle. It doesn't matter really. The app crashes every time. When it crashes every time I revert to using Plex.

I can see this one also.  From the movie details page scroll over to select subtitles and subtitles selection page shows up with no green highlight.  I tried scrolling up and down several times with no avail.  Kept hitting Return and eventually app exited.

BTW my TV just auto updated to version 119