Choppy image on Huawei Mate 10 Lite

neik

Andy777

I've turned off hwa for these devices.

Had the problem on my Mediapad T5.

It was (is) a combination of bitrate+(lib)mpv+hwa+ whatever drivers/mali chip Huawei seems to prefer.

Same problem can be replicated with mpv as an external player: hwa on + high enough bitrate -> choppy image, hwa off -> smooth.

Using VLC as external player with full hwa everything is smooth at any sane bitrates, so it definitely has something to do with mpv.

With h264 the bitrate limit where the hw-decoded image became choppy was somewhere between 1 to 4 mpbs. Slightly different depending on the media or whether it was transcoded or direct-played.

Anyway, my mediapad T5 seems to software decode everything I need just fine.

Huawei users can try mpv as external player and when (if) ever the hwa stops being choppy the emby player might get a fix also.

Thanks

Andy777

• 2 months later...

Had the problem on my Mediapad T5.

It was (is) a combination of bitrate+(lib)mpv+hwa+ whatever drivers/mali chip Huawei seems to prefer.

Same problem can be replicated with mpv as an external player: hwa on + high enough bitrate -> choppy image, hwa off -> smooth.

Using VLC as external player with full hwa everything is smooth at any sane bitrates, so it definitely has something to do with mpv.

With h264 the bitrate limit where the hw-decoded image became choppy was somewhere between 1 to 4 mpbs. Slightly different depending on the media or whether it was transcoded or direct-played.

Anyway, my mediapad T5 seems to software decode everything I need just fine.

Huawei users can try mpv as external player and when (if) ever the hwa stops being choppy the emby player might get a fix also.

Thanks

Andy777

That's interesting, thanks for the info.