"<error>" in Titles

ReemyC
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ReemyC

Lately I've noticed something odd when I open the emby apps (WMC, Roku and Andriod). Television titles are now replaced with "<error>" as seen the image attached. Typically, I let Media Center Master do all my fetching before I move something into one of Emby's watched folders but every now and then I forget and just throw something into its folder and just let Embys fetcher do the heavylifting. For whatever reason lately, the fetcher has been showing junk. Any thoughts?

post-998-0-48258900-1533267996_thumb.jpg

post-998-0-59711800-1533268007_thumb.jpg

ReemyC

In looking at the web app, you can see where the titles have "fallen off" and those shows that are working (titled) as normal. 5b63e2f1c275f_error3.jpg

ReemyC

Hey sorry for the delay in responding.

The first screenshot is from Media Center which I use on the server machine mostly. On other players / machines its usually the Roku interface, either way same outcome with the the no title.

Would it help if I attached the logs?

• Solution

No the logs won't help because we're most likely talking about something that happened in the past. If i had to guess, your MCM-generated metadata files probably have those error texts in them and that's where it's coming from.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

What in the Title field of the xml or nfo file.  I have seen <error> in MCM but have not seen it carryover into Emby.

ReemyC

So I'm trying wiping several of the folders of all metadata, .nfo's and images and let MCM refecth and replace all metadata in those folders. I'll report back on the findings.

Thanks for all the help so far y'all

What in the Title field of the xml or nfo file.  I have seen in MCM but have not seen it carryover into Emby.

Ok yea if you've seen before in MCM then his must have come from there.

ReemyC

Ok, so here is the update.

After flushing the folders of all goodies and running a full "replace all metadata" on the TV library everything is fixed, so I imagine the issue was with MCM after-all.

My only issue is this.

I use MCM because it will do automatic renames with episode titles and emby doesn't seem to be able to do that for me.

Rather than me running MCM, then deleting all of it's metadata, then running an emby scan, is there an update planned where episode names will be part of the emby parser?

Again, thanks everyone for all your help on this?

Happy2Play

Do you have the XML metadata plugin?  I have no issues using MCM for all metadata and the xml metadata plugin in Emby.

• 2 weeks later...
maisto99

Hello - I've been experiecing the same issue since June.  I've been trying to isolate it, and it occurs even when Media Center Master isn't be used and the NFO files have been replaced.  

Here's my story:

Greetings

I could use some advice on an issue I've been encountering for the past few months involving 'nfo' files for TV shows.  The behavior I noticed when I would go to TV Shows in Emby was that the A-Z sort order "wasn't working".  I would see the poster for a TV Show like the "Walking Dead" towards the top, then "The Amazing Race" after it.  When I looked closer I noticed that the series title wasn't being displayed in Emby for the "Walking Dead" but was for "The Amazing Race".   I was able to trace this issue back to the title field in the 'nfo' file for the series.  Where I discovered all the affected TV Shows would have the character entities  for < and > (ie - < and >) listed the in title field instead of the series name.

Initially I thought this was a one off, and proceeded to use Emby's Meta Data Identify feature to have it update the details for the affect shows.  It worked, and the shows would then be in the correct sort order and had the series titled populated correctly.  However, seemly at random the issue appeared again.  Then I would correct the issue, only to have it reappear the next day or weeks later.  It also didn't affect all the TV Shows, only a small subset.  This subset would change the next time the issue reappeared.  I'm not able to find a pattern of why it affect only a small population of the items in my collection.

To help isolate what's causing this issue I've disabled all the other applications I had running on my server so only Emby is running on it.  But the issue persists.  So I uninstalled Emby, removed all the "hidden" files, reinstalled Emby and also deleted the affect 'nfo' files so they could be fresh in case they might have some corrupt data causing this issue.  This didn't help for very long because the same issue reappeared again. 

I'm hoping someone can give me advice on why this is occurring.  It's at the point now that I dread using my Emby server.  I appreciate any assistance on this issue!

post-1650-0-15079300-1534617995_thumb.png

I still think it has to be something left over from mcm. That's the only program we've ever seen With those titles before.

maisto99

I have to disagree, here's why.

I completely disabled MCM so that it wasn't running or installed on my Media PC.  Then I went through and deleted the nfo and xml files in each of the directories that were affected by this issue.  I even went so far as to only have just the media itself left in the directory.  Then I used Emby to re-fetch all metadata and images for the series.  Then I ran it for about a week till the issue returned.  This week alone it's happened three nights in a row and MCM isn't installed. I've even reloaded the Win 10 OS last weekend so I'd have a fresh environment without anything else installed to see if this resolved the issue.  

I'll bring this up on the MCM forums too, but to me it points to something besides MCM.  I literally only have Emby 3.5.2 running on a refreshed version of Win 10. 

Sorry it's frustrating not being able to find logs that point to what is causing the issue.

Happy2Play

Logs of when the media was added and nfo examples of effect media would have to be examined.  Screenshots are just showing a display issue, not why it is happening.

Yea I understand you disabled mcm but I think that's still probably where it originated from. You probably have metadata files lying around that were written by mcm.

maisto99

While I understand what you're saying, that can't be the case.  All the supporting files for MCM are gone, and I have a fresh OS load.  Not sure I see where MCM has anything to do with the issue.  Emby should have written the Metadata that's a part of the video/assest, correct?  I got rid of every file and just had the media itself and also reloaded the OS.  MCM hasn't been part of my HTPC for weeks, and if all the metadata it created is gone I'm not seeing how it can be the issue.  Not trying to be difficult, just not sure I see how it can be the culpritate when anything it touched is gone.

We'd have to look at a specific example, but this is not random text, this is specifically "". If there were some kind of general problem in Emby causing this, i would expect we'd be getting hit very hard with problem reports. But that's not the case, as so far, only two of  you have reported this, and both of you have connections to MCM. The only program that we've ever seen write that text is MCM.

So I'm predicting that if we trace through an example, we'll find some remnant of MCM metadata where this value exists.