Samsung TV Aspect Ratio Issue

kthanid

kthanid

I only recently discovered Emby and have already converted to a Lifetime license of Premiere (this product is outstanding!).

Unfortunately I am having issues displaying video backed up from my DVDs (720x480) in their expected 4:3 aspect ratio, they appear stretched horizontally.  I only experience this issue on my Samsung TV (UN65JU6500FXZA) through the Samsung Smart TV Application.  When I stream the same video via Emby in a browser or in Emby Theater the videos look correct.  I'm not sure how to get my TV to display the version of the application it is running (if that's even possible), but I only installed it about a week ago so my expectation is it's a fairly recent version.

I pulled the following 1280x720 video from YouTube and converted it with handbrake to 960x720 and 720x480.  All 3 play in correct 4:3 in the browser and with Emby Theater, and both the 1280x720 and 960x720 appear correctly on the Samsung TV App, with the 720x480 version being stretched horizontally.  I can provide pictures if needed.

Test Video:

Worth noting:  This problem seems to happen with every 4:3 movie I have (and the app seems to butcher other resolutions that aren't exactly 16:9 in pixel dimensions).  Additionally, my TV's picture sizing functions are completely disabled while the app is running (for whatever reason?), so I can't use the TV's own picture zoom modes to adjust for this.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!  In the meantime I streaming Emby Theater to my TV via my Steam Link to watch anything that's not a perfect 16:9 aspect ratio.

Also, I wanted to mention that I've tried to search for this issue, but haven't found anything that I thought directly addressed my question.  My apologies if I'm mistaken about that and missed it, please feel free to point me in the direction of a prior thread if I'm reporting a known issue/topic.  Thanks!

Edited by kthanid

SamES

Can you please PM me a copy of one of your converted files that should be 4:3?  Thanks

SamES

Thanks, got it.  On 2017 model it plays fine.  I get black vertical bars on the side and it plays in 4:3 aspect.  Could you take a photo so I can see how it looks on your screen.

kthanid

@@SamES - See the imgur gallery below.  You'll notice the black bars are thinner and the image is stretched horizontally for the 720x480 video I linked in my prior post.  The second image in the gallery is the same video being played by Emby Theater on my PC and you can see that the image/circles are correct when played that way.

EDIT - Going to link to the images directly, the imgur album embedding seems a bit jacked up in the forum:

https://i.imgur.com/jd6hGBe.jpg - 720x480 (Samsung)

https://i.imgur.com/ra6KJjc.png - 720x480 (Emby Theater)

As an additional point of reference, the 960x720 video works correctly on the Samsung, as expected:

https://i.imgur.com/32BCwMf.jpg - 960x720 (Samsung)

Comparing the first and third images here really highlight the issue.

Edited by kthanid

SamES

OK, the pictures help.  So you are seeing black bars, they are just not wide enough as this image is somewhat anamorphic (or the reverse of).  I'm not sure how typical this really is of actual content given that this is just a youtube sample.

Do you have normal content with this issue?  I think any 720x480 content I have is really anamorphic with an aspect ration of 16:9 (not (4:3) so it gets stretched to fill the screen (not compressed)

kthanid

Do you have normal content with this issue?

I have a lot of normal content with this issue.  Anything I have tested so far that's 4:3 is coming out this way in the Samsung TV App (and only in the Samsung TV app), the example YouTube clip I was testing with was just the easiest to highlight this with since it provides the circles to easily see the stretching.  As a real world example, volumes from my Three Stooges collection (Amazon link below) all have the exact same issue:

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Collection-Vol-1934-1936/dp/B000SSQ7JW/

All titles from these DVDs are 720x480 and are stretched in the same manner as the example video here.

Interestingly enough, I can also access my emby library via the network from my Samsung TV (presumably this is because I have DLNA enabled?) and when I play these titles (including the example one here) in that manner the aspect ratio is correct on the TV.  I'm not sure how this differs from Direct Play via the app (I'd assume in both cases it's the TV and/or the app itself that is accessing the files directly since there's no transcoding involved), so it clearly points to something in the Samsung TV App itself that's causing the issue.

SamES

Leave this with me.  I should be able to fix this, but will need to make sure it doesn't cause any other issues so it will take a little bit of time.

• Like 1

kthanid

@@SamES Thank you so much for your attention on this issue, I really appreciate it!

If there's anything else I can do to help such as providing additional example files and/or providing any assistance in testing anything (if that's even possible), please let me know.  Thanks!

SamES

No, that's fine.  It's an easy fix, I just need to test it with a few cases to make sure everything else still works fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to chime in on this @@SamES - I think I’m seeing a similar / related issue on my mu6120..

Much of my ripped dvd content is Anamorphic (16:9) I believe and when played on other players inc kodi/emby, and DLNA from emby to mu6120 built in player the image fills the screen.

However on .29 and .44 of the Samsung emby app these titles appear to be squashed into 4:3 aspect ratio leaving big black bars on either side.

The Lorax is one that springs to mind.

If this is a different issue / cause happy to move to a separate thread?

Edited by M1tch

SamES

I think this is the opposite problem, items are not stretched when they should be.  

Can you please provide the media info from the bottom of the item details page from the server?  It sounds like the aspect ratio is not being detected during the scan, or it is not correct in the file.  If it is 16:9 then this should be working correctly.

Thanks for the super fast response - agreed these are not being stretched when they should. Screenshot attached - I notice anamorphic is marked no - could be an error with my rip?

iOS and android emby apps both play as expected. (Direct playing)

post-344849-0-99589600-1534975225_thumb.png

kthanid

@@SamES Thank you so much, I really appreciate the fix!

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to tell what version a TV is currently running for a given application like this?  Also, is there any way to force an update (or push an unreleased version) to the TV?

Thanks again!

FrostByte

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to tell what version a TV is currently running for a given application like this?  Also, is there any way to force an update (or push an unreleased version) to the TV?

Not within the app itself, no.

To see which version you have navigate to the app in the SmartHub and click "View Details" (do not start the app).  This should bring you to the Emby app on the Samsung store.  There you should see a line that says the latest version available for your TV on the store and the version you have loaded.

Another way of seeing the app version is to look at the dashboard on the web client once the app is running.  The version should be displayed in the Active Clients.

Edit: as far as sideloading or otherwise loading the app not from the store Luke has mentioned that the app isn't open source

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has this bug been fixed (in what version)?  I'm still getting skinny content (black bars on right and left with 16:9 content).   This ONLY happens with 480P content.  720P and 1080p content works great.

Here's an example of file media info:

Title480P H264
CodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level31
Resolution720x480
Aspect ratio16:9