AAC 5.1 No sound

Happy2Play
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Happy2Play

Roku will direct play movie but no sound do to audio being AAC 5.1.

VideoCodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution1920x800
Aspect Ratio2.40:1
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate2723 kbps
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAAC
Layout5.1
Bitrate408 kbps
Sample Rate48000 khz
DefaultYes

Server Version 3.0.5192.19560
Roku 1.17.2

Happy2Play

It is AC3 5.1 work fine but all AAC 5.1 movies play with no audio.  The issue I believe is the server is Dierct Playing file instead of converting the audio since the Roku doesn't support AAC 5.1 only 2.0.

Edited by Happy2Play

gcw07

Yeah more then likely it is trying to just pass through the AAC 5.1 to your audio system and maybe your audio system isn't decoding that?

Happy2Play

I can remote play from web client to WDPlay on same tv and receiver and get sound from the same movie.

Edited by Happy2Play

gcw07

I wonder if it doesn't even attempt to pass through that type of audio on the Roku. I will look through my collection and see if I can find anything with aac 5.1. Not sure I do, but will look to see to test against.

Happy2Play

Most of my AAC 5.1 just hang at retrieving like shown here.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/594-roku-public-beta/?p=27169

So far I have only seen one that plays with out audio.

*Looks like it played on the WDPlay because it transcoded the file.  Tested on Roku by changing video quality and it transcodes video and audio when lowering video quality.

Edited by Happy2Play

gcw07

Yeah there is a problem with playback right now. We hope to have a fix for it soon. When we do, we will let you know and hopefully it fixes this too. If it doesn't let me know.

Koleckai Silvestri

I wonder if it doesn't even attempt to pass through that type of audio on the Roku. I will look through my collection and see if I can find anything with aac 5.1. Not sure I do, but will look to see to test against.

I believe "Big Buck Bunny" is available in AAC 5.1 on their download page.

gcw07

I believe "Big Buck Bunny" is available in AAC 5.1 on their download page.

Thanks Wayne. I'll look there for a video to test with.

Yeah there is a problem with playback right now. We hope to have a fix for it soon. When we do, we will let you know and hopefully it fixes this too. If it doesn't let me know.

Is it possible this playback problem is causing other audio stream issues.   I am having trouble with HD audio streams playing through the Roku 3.   I can get 2 channel audio and Dolby Digital.  This is happening for me on MKV's and playable iso's.  I would want the Roku to do a pass-thru on all audio streams as a preference.   I do notice that I am able to select various audio streams but the HD ones never play and a non-HD seems to be auto-selected when I attempt to select and HD stream.

gcw07

Is it possible this playback problem is causing other audio stream issues.   I am having trouble with HD audio streams playing through the Roku 3.   I can get 2 channel audio and Dolby Digital.  This is happening for me on MKV's and playable iso's.  I would want the Roku to do a pass-thru on all audio streams as a preference.   I do notice that I am able to select various audio streams but the HD ones never play and a non-HD seems to be auto-selected when I attempt to select and HD stream.

ISO's will never have pass through just because the Roku can't decode an ISO. It can decode a specific type of mkv and a specific type of mp4 file, but not much else.

Right now it is only transcoding to 2 channel which is why you are getting non-HD streams to just come out as stereo. Hopefully we can fix that soon to at least start transmitting in 5.1. Also make sure you have turned on surround sound on the Roku itself. If it is set to stereo it will only playback in stereo.

ISO's will never have pass through just because the Roku can't decode an ISO. It can decode a specific type of mkv and a specific type of mp4 file, but not much else.

Right now it is only transcoding to 2 channel which is why you are getting non-HD streams to just come out as stereo. Hopefully we can fix that soon to at least start transmitting in 5.1. Also make sure you have turned on surround sound on the Roku itself. If it is set to stereo it will only playback in stereo.

Thanks for reply. I will be patient. Just a point of interest though, I am successfully playing an iso through the roku, just with 2 channel sound though. Not many of the iso's play but one created from AnyDVD (Man of Steel). I assume the sever side is taking care of decoding the iso. I have had pretty good luck getting Android devices to play the iso's also. Still in reading through the forum I am seeing that I probably should be going MKV, so I am looking into that. Thank you again.

Doug

Koleckai Silvestri

Thanks for reply. I will be patient. Just a point of interest though, I am successfully playing an iso through the roku, just with 2 channel sound though. Not many of the iso's play but one created from AnyDVD (Man of Steel). I assume the sever side is taking care of decoding the iso. I have had pretty good luck getting Android devices to play the iso's also. Still in reading through the forum I am seeing that I probably should be going MKV, so I am looking into that. Thank you again.

Doug

The server will transcode ISOs into MP4 and AAC sound for the Roku.

• Like 1

Tikuf
The server will transcode ISOs into MP4 and AAC sound for the Roku.

No it won't

It will transcode to h264/aac hls

• 1 month later...
Happy2Play

Any update on the AAC 5.1 issue?

• 1 month later...
Happy2Play

AAC 5.1 audio is being transcoded like they should be now in v1.21.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
djrecon

Any word on solving the AAC issue with Roku?

I have a Roku 3 with the latest software. I play everything forced direct, direct stream, and it won't play any audio from any AAC content on my plex. All other formats and speaker numbers work. It's just all the AAC files that are silent.

Any word on solving the AAC issue with Roku?

I have a Roku 3 with the latest software. I play everything forced direct, direct stream, and it won't play any audio from any AAC content on my plex. All other formats and speaker numbers work. It's just all the AAC files that are silent.

Hi @@djrecon, welcome! We're very sorry to hear about this issue and we'd love to help you resolve it. In order for us to best do that, please discuss an example by supplying the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !