Legacy Media Browser Theater External Player Configuration

raymondjpg

raymondjpg

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it doesn't seem to fit with the Legacy Support board.

I have recently been unable to configure an external player for the Legacy Media Browser Theater (the old app referred to in https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29908-legacy-version/).On hitting the Add Player bar I get a message "There was an error processing the request". I can OK that, and fill in information about an external player, but I cannot find any way to save that information.

I have been able to add information about an external player in the past, as I have a working installation on Windows 10. I cannot however either edit the information about that player, or add a new player with that installation, getting the same message "There was an error processing the request" each time.

Is there something that I am not doing right, or has something changed that has rendered this old app unusable?

Hi, that's a good question. I'm not quite sure. My only guess is that it can't validate the input you entered. Are you sure the exe path you entered is exactly correct?

raymondjpg

Hi, that's a good question. I'm not quite sure. My only guess is that it can't validate the input you entered. Are you sure the exe path you entered is exactly correct?

Thanks for the response.

I am sure that the exe path entered (on the upper of the two lines) was correct, and I also tried both [PATH] (the default) and [path] (lower case) on the lower line. In either case there was nowhere on the GUI screen to save the input.

I tried with both a Windows 7 and Windows 10 location.

Is it possible that the GUI configuration relies on Java, and the latest version does not support it?

N.B. I did find a way to edit one of the config xml files to update the external player path in the Windows 7 installation and that has worked, and it looks like one might also be able to add or remove file types and perhaps even another player to the file. The Windows 7 installation has the most recent version of Java installed. I haven't tried this editing on an installation in Windows 10, without Java installed, but I suspect it would also work there because the installation of the Legacy app there, that I copied from another Windows 10 PC where I had successfully configured an external player, appeared to be working in all other respects except. for the ability to update or add an external player.

For information, I encountered the same error message "There was an error processing the request" when I hit the link for Plugin Catalogue.

The app should have a log file. Can you find that? Maybe it will have a clue. I'm not sure though if it will be under windows appdata or relative to the install folder as I just don't remember.

raymondjpg

The app should have a log file. Can you find that? Maybe it will have a clue. I'm not sure though if it will be under windows appdata or relative to the install folder as I just don't remember.

The latest log file I can find is format .txt in the logs directory of the app installation on Windows 7, attached.

Regards

raymondjpg

Log file attached this time.

Regards

theater-63668808910.txt

Ok it's trying to download the pismo software that we were using a long time ago to mount iso files. I'm afraid this just isn't going to work anymore, sorry.

raymondjpg

Ok it's trying to download the pismo software that we were using a long time ago to mount iso files. I'm afraid this just isn't going to work anymore, sorry.

Fair enough. It is still working, and external player configuration can be done by editing the system.xml file in the config directory of the portable app installation.

1. To add an external player, using configuration from a working installation, replace the line <MediaPlayers /> with everything (and including) between the lines   <MediaPlayers> in the working installation.

2. To change an external player, edit the path to the new player in the system.xml file.

3. To change file formats to be played edit the entries between the lines <FileExtensions> in the system.xml file, adding or removing lines.

Edits 1 and 2 are working, I haven't tested 3.

• 5 months later...
raymondjpg

It appears that the update to Emby Server Version 4.0.0.2 has somehow compromised the ability of the Legacy Emby Theater (I think it's version 3.05) to use an external player to play video content. It looks like an internal player is being employed.

I don't expect any more work to be done on the client but is there something that can be tweaked in either Emby Server or the client's config file to once again enable external player support with the Emby Theater Legacy version?

TIA

Edited by raymondjpg

raymondjpg

Probably due to the api changes. I'm not really sure you'll be able to get around it, sorry.

OK. So I am now trying the Emby Premier version of Emby Theater (I think its 3.0.6) and am still encountering difficulties getting it to work with an external player (PotPlayer).

First I tried without an Emby Premier subscription, and the one minute play option. All I got was a black screen with no video or audio.

Next I took out a one month subscription to Emby Premier, but still only got a black screen with no video or audio.

Maybe I am not doing something right. The external player path is to the executable for PotPlayer.  I have not tried the internal player.

I could provide logs but don't know where to start. Help please.

TIA

raymondjpg

Did you configure the correct arguments for the potplayer external player?

I didn't, because I had no idea what to put there. I tried {0} (as in Media Browser Configurator) and that didn't work, then found a forum thread which had {PATH} in the Command line arguments. That worked, so it looks like I am fully functional again.

Is there somewhere on your website where setup for external players is explained comprehensively?

N.B. I was also relieved to note from the Server dashboard that Emby Theater was playing direct, not transcoding.

Well the idea is you have to research what PotPlayer needs for arguments. I am not a PotPlayer expert and Emby Theater does not have that knowledge built-in, so it's really up to you to provide.

I am glad to hear that it's working. Thanks for the feedback !

raymondjpg

Well the idea is you have to research what PotPlayer needs for arguments. I am not a PotPlayer expert and Emby Theater does not have that knowledge built-in, so it's really up to you to provide.

I am glad to hear that it's working. Thanks for the feedback !

The configuration for Emby Theater External Players has under Command line arguments:

Place each argument on a separate line

{path} = path to media file

{ms} = start position ms

So there is clearly some knowledge here that something like {path} and/or {ms} can be entered, but there is no explanation of what these arguments do, or when or if they need to be entered, and if so, with what (if any) qualifications. In my opinion, this needs some comprehensive explanation in setup for Emby Theater

FWIW I haven't been able to find any documentation on command line options for PotPlayer, akin to command line switches for MPC-HC. The latter does not have a switch {path}, so my conclusion (right or wrong) is that argument looks to be peculiar to Emby Theater.

There's no knowledge of pot player in Emby Theater. The help underneath the field is a list of tokens that you can optionally add to the arguments list if they can be used by Pot Player.

But it is up to you to know what those are, and it will vary for each external player. When I googled PotPlayer command line, I didn't find much, only

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360627-PotPlayer-Command-Line

raymondjpg

There's no knowledge of pot player in Emby Theater. The help underneath the field is a list of tokens that you can optionally add to the arguments list if they can be used by Pot Player.

But it is up to you to know what those are, and it will vary for each external player. When I googled PotPlayer command line, I didn't find much, only

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360627-PotPlayer-Command-Line

Yes I found that reference too but it is 5-6 years old and not really informative.

Moving on, is there any way to configure Emby Theater Premiere to use a splash screen when invoking an external player to play video files? Emby Theater minimises before the video opens exposing the desktop. I would much prefer to see some custom splash screen.

TIA

I agree that would be a good idea, but we don't have that right now.

Why do you need an external player, just curious? The player we embed is really quite robust.

raymondjpg

I agree that would be a good idea, but we don't have that right now.

Why do you need an external player, just curious? The player we embed is really quite robust.

I prefer to use an external player because I use a Harmony remote programmed with WMC commands, modified initially to send keyboard strokes to invoke certain features of MPC-HC such as play/pause, skip forward/back three different intervals, frame advance, subtitles on/off etc. I then modified PotPlayer hotkeys to accept the same commands.

Everything is done from the remote, nothing from a keyboard or mouse. Commands are received via a USB IR receiver.

If the internal player can be configured the same way then I would probably try it out.

In the meantime, while a custom splash screen is being considered, is there any way to PREVENT Emby Theater from minimising before playing a video file with an external player? That would be preferable to exposing the desktop.

There's no settings to prevent the minimize right now, sorry. The internal player supports many of those keys, but not all.

raymondjpg

There's no settings to prevent the minimize right now, sorry. The internal player supports many of those keys, but not all.

Is there somewhere where those keys for the internal player are documented? If I knew what they were I could have a stab at programming the remote to use it.

raymondjpg

Which ones exactly do you need? Or rather, what are the most important ones that are missing?

With my external players I can select three different levels of skip forward/back at 10 seconds, 30 seconds and 5 minutes. These intervals are programmable. I also value the ability to turn subtitles on/off, and now and then to frame advance while paused, either forward or backwards, and a seek bar to show whereabouts in the file one has reached (currently I use the seek bar from madVR), and an exit (Alt+F4) key to get out of the program, but that's generic. I think all the other keyboard stroke options are there, and when using a remote you definitely do not want to see video play controls.

The remote is also programmed to bring up the context menu for Emby for WMC (I don't think that there is one for Emby Theater) and madVR stats.

Many of the options listed in device support might be nice to have, but there are only a limited number of buttons available in a WMC type remote control handset. My main consideration is control of media players in HTPCs using only an IR remote, and no keyboard or mouse.