GamesDB Returning No Results In Metadata Manager

omerome

omerome

I have some video games in my media library that I just added, but when I click Identify in Metadata Manger and search by name or GamesDB ID, I get no results. When I do the same thing with my music or movies, everything is working fine.

I am using Emby Version 3.5.1.0 installed on a Windows 7 machine.

Please assist. 

Thanks!

To be honest it looks to me like our GamesDb support needs to be updated to adjust to changes from GamesDb. 

While we're here though, I would just like to point out games are a community addition and contributions are welcome. The source code can be found here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/GameBrowser

Our core focus is obviously around are audio/video/photo/live tv features. We will help with GameBrowser when we can. Thanks !

If 1000 is the limit then yes, we would have to force every emby user to obtain their own api key. However, this is a bit of a problem:

ideally since you're hosting a site you'd cache the results so you won't have to request the same information twice, then rely on update api to keep your cache/mirror up to date, we do plan on providing a private key with a finite request limit with enough limit to mirror the entire site if needs be, but I haven't gotten around it it yet.

That suggests that even if everyone has their own api key, they do not really have enough bandwidth to support it. Having every user obtain their own probably goes against the spirit of their guidelines. They are asking applications to setup their own caching server as a middleman, that's not really something that we (the Emby team) would want to have to build or maintain.

It might help if they accepted donations for more bandwidth but I don't really see anything like that.

Realistically it might be time to look at alternative databases we can use. Do you know of any?

• 3 weeks later...
calvinm

I asked on Twitter "@launchboxapp Is your api at http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com  open to the public or can it be made available to another app developer?"

I got the following reply:

"There actually is no API per se, but all of the data is freely available to download in XML format. The XMLs also come with LaunchBox, so that's the easiest way to get it."

I asked on Twitter "@launchboxapp Is your api at http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com  open to the public or can it be made available to another app developer?"

I got the following reply:

"There actually is no API per se, but all of the data is freely available to download in XML format. The XMLs also come with LaunchBox, so that's the easiest way to get it."

It would need to check if launchbox exists, find the path to it.. find the metadata.xml within. Convert this to an sql lite db. After query the newly created launchbox.db if it exists. There wouldn't be really, any outside api/fetches made. It would all be through the plugin. Someone would have to make this part happen.