Image size issue on Roku Stick with Emby for Roku 3.0.91

Cypheron

Cypheron

Hi guys,

Here's my issue - the images - both JPG and PNG - are a bit blurry when viewed using Roku Stick (3500X, firmware 8.1.0 - the latest at this time) with "Emby for Roku 3.0.91" installed on it, and plugged into an LG wide monitor (2560x1080). And I already suspect what may be the reason - the "Emby Server Version 3.5.1.0" running on Windows 7 is getting the following HTTP request from "Emby for Roku" (UserAgent: Roku/DVP-8.10):

http://192.168.0.23:8096/emby/Items/bbcd3958bb4dd6c07832af76438c5abf/Images/Primary?EnableImageEnhancers=true&tag=1b76eb8ceece22f22b9fe675abe97b76&maxheight=756&quality=80

I noticed that maxheight is set to "756", even though this monitor can handle 1080. This causes the Emby Server to shrink the original 1920x1080 px image down to smaller image with height 756 px and then image is enlarged again in Roku Stick (or monitor itself?) to fit the 1080 px height. When I access the very same image from my Android phone with "Emby for Android 3.0.00" installed, the image looks fine and the server log shows this HTTP request:

http://192.168.0.23:8096/emby/Items/bbcd3958bb4dd6c07832af76438c5abf/Images/Primary?maxWidth=1440&tag=1b76eb8ceece22f22b9fe675abe97b76&quality=40 

in this case, maxWidth parameter is set to 1440, which is fine for my smart phone.

Is it a bug in "Emby for Roku" or there is another logical explanation why the requested image height is set to 756 px?

When I open the first URL above in Chrome browser, I see the image with height 756 px. When I change the "maxheight" value in this URL request to 1080, I get the original image, as expected. This is what I'd like to get on my Roku Stick.

Btw, there is no problem watching HD/FullHD content, quality is nice.

Hi, 756 represents the viewable area of the image in the app. That value isn't necessarily going to correlate with the screen resolution. In other words, 756 out of a possible 1080.

Cypheron

Hm, but then why the image is actually enlarged to full 1080 px height? If the "viewable" area is smaller than full HD 1920x1080 then I would expect the image to be displayed in the middle of the screen, exactly as returned by Emby Server, smaller, but not stretched/resized.

Anyway...the question is still why the viewable area is not reflecting the full screen size? Who is limiting this? Is it Emby for Roku?

The thing is - I have set of PNG and JPG images with exactly 1920x1080 px - why I cannot stream them to Roku and view them with "Emby for Roku" client in original size and quality? The screen is capable of doing it, Roku as well...

Thanks.

Edited by Cypheron

Cypheron

I don't know where the image is enlarged again - but the fact is that the image is filling the whole height of the screen 1080 but the quality is poor.

This is what I think is happening:

1. Emby Client app on Roku is requesting image with "maxheight=756" parameter in HTTP request;
  2. Emby Server takes 1920x1080 px image from the library, shrinks it down to 1344x756 px and sends it back to Emby Client;
  3. Now the image is displayed on the screen filling the whole possible height 1080 px but with poor quality, far from original image;

I did an experiment - with ffmpeg I created an MP4 video file (AVC, 1920x1080, maxrate 4MBps) as an presentation containing the same 1920x1080 px images and this video streamed nicely through Roku and Emby Client with the image quality comparable with the quality of original static images. There was no transcoding or any other processing happening in the Emby Server for this video file.

So my question is - why there is this "maxheight=756" in the HTTP request? How is this value calculated?

Hi.  Are you talking about photos in a full-screen slideshow view?

We do only show those at 720p right now due to issues devices like the Roku stick seem to have with large images.

We could try allowing 1080 to see if it will work okay.

Cypheron

Hi.  Are you talking about photos in a full-screen slideshow view?

We do only show those at 720p right now due to issues devices like the Roku stick seem to have with large images.

We could try allowing 1080 to see if it will work okay.

Yes, I just browse through the folders, find an image (PNG or JPG) and click on it. The image displays in full-screen view, with nothing around it (only black areas on the sides) but to me it looks like it is an enlarged 1344x756 px image that was previously shrunk by Emby Server.

I'll try allowing 1080 in the next beta and see how that works.

Thanks.

Edit: Actually, the current beta is already doing this.  You can try it here.

Cypheron

For now, I set up a proxy server (Apache HTTP Server with URL rewriting and proxy support) that listens on port 8097 and forwards the HTTP requests from "Emby on Roku" to "Emby Server" running on default port 8096. It also monitors the HTTP requests and if "maxheight=756" is detected in URL query string, it changes it to "maxheight=1080". And it works fine (as a workaround).

For now, I set up a proxy server (Apache HTTP Server with URL rewriting and proxy support) that listens on port 8097 and forwards the HTTP requests from "Emby on Roku" to "Emby Server" running on default port 8096. It also monitors the HTTP requests and if "maxheight=756" is detected in URL query string, it changes it to "maxheight=1080". And it works fine (as a workaround).

The current beta should already be presenting them at 1080.  Did that not work for you?

Cypheron

The current beta should already be presenting them at 1080.  Did that not work for you?

Thanks, ebr, I never tried Beta before. So I just did - the version 3.0.94 from "Emby Beta" Roku channel - and YES, the static images are really requested and presented at 1080 height. Thanks!

Thanks, ebr, I never tried Beta before. So I just did - the version 3.0.94 from "Emby Beta" Roku channel - and YES, the static images are really requested and presented at 1080 height. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the next beta will reduce them again.  This is just temporary while we work through some memory issues on some devices.  We'll get the image viewer loading at 1080 again in a future beta.

Thanks.

Cypheron

Too bad, but I understand, no worries. Luckily, I have a functional workaround with proxy server...

Cypheron

Now - with "Emby for Roku" Beta 3.0.95 - I see that it requests the "maxheight=810", before it was "maxheight=756":

http://192.168.0.23:8096/emby/Items/0818629d1a8484a11edae50e2e82b86d/Images/Primary?EnableImageEnhancers=true&tag=9eac1b22752986b7fe1e2d074dc765ab&maxheight=810&quality=80

Still not full possible height 1080...why not?

Still not full possible height 1080...why not?

This is just temporary while we work through some memory issues on some devices.  We'll get the image viewer loading at 1080 again in a future beta.

• 6 months later...