iOS App stutters and crashes if playback is above 1Mbps

pjshots

pjshots

Hi,

I have both iphones and iPads and Emby seems to not really like any of them. If I play any media, it stutters if I put the quality above 1Mbps. Setting to auto does the same thing.

I have other android phones, tablets, Nvidia Shield and no problems elsewhere, just the iOS app. I've tried both the internal server IP and my external domain name and that doesn't make any difference either.

Doesn't matter if content is SD MP4 or HD, or even 4K, all does the same thing.

Anyone have anything else I can try, or a setting somewhere I need to change?

Thanks.

Edited by pjshots

Hi, yes there have been a couple reports of this. We're looking into it. What model ipads and iphones do you have?

pjshots

Brilliant thank you. We have iPad mini 2s, iPhone 5s and 7plus. All running the latest iOS software.

Question. Does this happen on the very first playback attempt after opening the app? Or just playback after the first try? Thanks.

pjshots

Its repeatable with every time you open the app, closing, restarting (app/device) doesn't make any difference. Stopping playback and starting no difference and will sometimes crash the app with a black screen. Only when above 1Mbps, below this and things work as normal, quite strange. Doesn't matter if the server is transcoding or sending direct streams either. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
jasonsimth

it was working smooth on my iPad Pro when it was running on ios 10 however as I have updated to ios 11.3 whenever now I am opening the app it only loads a blank screen on the start up and crashes after a while automatically. How do I fix it?

with regrads

Edited by jasonsimth

badis2008

I have on iPad pro ios12 worked fine with NAS asustor x64 version 3.5.1.0, starting with version 3.5.2.0 at the beginning of playback there are several times stop playback, have to manually go back and start playback again. After several such manipulations, playback is restored and there are no disruptions until the end of the film. When the next movie starts playing, the same story happens.

Edited by badis2008

calbanese

I am having a similar issue on an iPad with iOS 12.1 (and local playback over a 5GHz wireless network). No crashes and the movies play all the way through, but it stutters or buffers every 5 seconds or so.  No issues on Android or Windows, wired or wireless.

I am having a similar issue on an iPad with iOS 12.1 (and local playback over a 5GHz wireless network). No crashes and the movies play all the way through, but it stutters or buffers every 5 seconds or so.  No issues on Android or Windows, wired or wireless.

Hi there, can you try lowering the in-app quality setting to force the video to transcode? Thanks !