emby premiere - freeloading friends and apps

3n8

Hi, I tried googling for an answer but i could not find one specific enough and this is also the kind of answer that might change over time. So i want a  current answer before i go shopping.

I want to make the move to Emby with a premiere subscription. I've tested it for six months++ with and without premiere and the list of reasons why i prefer Emby just keeps growing. 

But i have some close friends and family making use of my current plex server on xbox and ps4.

As i understood it most of the apps require a premiere sub, Yet i can use the LG tv app without a subscription.

So i have the following questions:

- Do my friends need a premiere subscription to stream to xbox/ps4? When streaming from my server.

- Same question for smart tv apps?

- And lets assume i convinced them to replace their own plex servers with Emby but they are to cheap to pay for it. Can they use the apps for smart tvs and xbox/ps4?

I'm not interested in roku sticks and such. But others might appreciate and answer for that as well.

Bonus question: Recommended block size for Emby dataset?

Ty for making a great product and for giving me much more control and customistation for my library then anyone else. This is especially great for someone who is multi linguistic.

Edited by Enwyn

Guest asrequested

You just need the license for the server. Apps that connect to your server will all the access you allow them.

dcrdev

Hi, I tried googling for an answer but i could not find one specific enough and this is also the kind of answer that might change over time. So i want a  current answer before i go shopping.

I want to make the move to Emby with a premiere subscription. I've tested it for six months++ with and without premiere and the list of reasons why i prefer Emby just keeps growing. 

But i have some close friends and family making use of my current plex server on xbox and ps4.

As i understood it most of the apps require a premiere sub, Yet i can use the LG tv app without a subscription.

So i have the following questions:

- Do my friends need a premiere subscription to stream to xbox/ps4? When streaming from my server.

- Same question for smart tv apps?

- And lets assume i convinced them to replace their own plex servers with Emby but they are to cheap to pay for it. Can they use the apps for smart tvs and xbox/ps4?

I'm not interested in roku sticks and such. But others might appreciate and answer for that as well.

Bonus question: Recommended block size for Emby dataset?

Ty for making a great product and for giving me much more control and customistation for my library then anyone else. This is especially great for someone who is multi linguistic.

The following:

Do my friends need a premiere subscription to stream to xbox/ps4? When streaming from my server.

No as long as you yourself have a subscription and that is active on your server.

Same question for smart tv apps?

As above

And lets assume i convinced them to replace their own plex servers with Emby but they are to cheap to pay for it. Can they use the apps for smart tvs and xbox/ps4?

Yes and no... some apps let you purchase those apps on an individual basis fairly cheaply. The PS4 'App' is actually just the Emby theatre web app and you have to load it in the ps4's web browser because of that you can't use that one without being connected to a server that has an active subscription because Theatre is premiere only.

darkassassin07

The premiere subscription is applied to the server itself. Any app can use the subscription as long as its streaming from a server with a premier subscription

You friends will be able to stream from your server (assuming you have premier) in this example, but would require the purchase of their own subscription(s) to use the apps on their own server(s) or purchase individual apps where available

Edited by darkassassin07

Thank you :) it answered all my questions and and extra ty for pointing out that they with their accounts will reap the benefits of my server being licensed under my premiere subscription when streaming from my server.

This post is solved :D