(Future)Windows 8.1 Update - Classic Start Menu Returning

Starkadius

Starkadius

Screen-Shot-2014-04-02-at-1.44.27-PM.png

This isn't April fools either.

...it will introduce a new version of the classic Windows Start menu that combines features from the pre-Windows 8 menu with new Windows 8 concepts like Live Tiles.

Source

Edited by Starkadius

Deihmos

I am more interested in being able to run modern apps in a window. The start meny didn't bother me since I never use it to do more than search.

Starkadius

I am more interested in being able to run modern apps in a window. The start meny didn't bother me since I never use it to do more than search.

It didn't bother me either, I got used to not having the start menu but this is a huge deal because this is the primary reason many users decided to stick to Windows 7.

• 4 weeks later...
saajan4u

i'd be quite interested to see how, if we could close the netflix and other app using remote, then that would make me move to windows 8. but until then long live w7..

trooper11

i'd be quite interested to see how, if we could close the netflix and other app using remote, then that would make me move to windows 8. but until then long live w7..

If your using a harmony remote, you can do that now.  I have been working to get a win 8.1 build going as my main htpc where I basically live in the start screen as my dashboard.  I can launch media apps like Netflix and can close them as well thanks to binding keyboard commands to the harmony.

Koleckai Silvestri

If this was in 8.1 Update 1, I probably would have upgraded. It is slated for August or September from what I understand and Windows 9 should be out in 2015. I can wait a year due to that. My wife wants Windows 8 though. I hope to just buy her a new computer with it and be done with things.

If I don't like Windows 9 and since my PC will be close to end of life at that time anyway, I'll just purchase a Mac.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1