Sort roman numerals numerically

justwondering
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

justwondering

Small and nitpicky thing: It would be nice if the sorting algorithm could recognize roman numerals and sort them numerically. For example, currently "Men in Black 3" comes before "Men in Black II".

5b53ad155d38e_ScreenShot20180721at25454P

No big deal but it would be nice.

Happy2Play

What is Display order: set to on the Collection metadata?  Mine is set to Release date instead of Sort name.

justwondering

When I look at them inside the Collection they're in the correct order. I'm not sure what it's set to because I don't see an option to change display order in the collection.

Edited by justwondering

Happy2Play

I was referring to Collection view and you say that is correct.  You appear to talking about Item view and as you posted it is by Name so they are sorting correctly.  As "3" is numeric and "II" alphabetic.  You must not use "Group movies into collections".

justwondering

@@arrbee99 I didn't know about the sort title field, thank you for that.

@@Happy2Play When movies are grouped into collections and "Group movies into collections" is turned on, everything looks fine. This is only an issue for movies that have not been manually added to a collection, or when "Group movies into collections" is not turned on. There are lots of ways to avoid this small issue by manually modifying library data; I'm just saying it would be nice if the alphabetic sorting algorithm understood it automatically.

Deathsquirrel

When group movies into collections is enabled the default sort order is release date.  That's why it clears it up.

I get the request but I expect it to cause fits for various users, probably non-English users, if implemented.  Group into collections and sort order address it for me.

justwondering

As far as I can tell, "group movies into collections" does not apply when using a filter. So if you want to view a list of unwatched movies like I do, the options are to sort by name (with the problem I described) or by release date, where sequels are no longer grouped together.

• Solution

Hi.  The simple solution here for now is to use the sort title as it will make them sort however you wish.

The sorting in play is not something we've written so it isn't easily modified.  There also would be a performance impact all the time for something that is very rare.

• Like 1