Video Editing Software

Erik

Erik

Hi,

Want to start editing down the massive amount of family videos and such...looking for suggestions on software.

I don't mind paying for the software, but I don't want any subscription model crap (looking at you adobe premiere pro...)

I am going to try out adobe premiere elements and cyber director but looking for any insight from the community.

Thanks

Edited by Erik

PenkethBoy

DaVinci Resolve, HitFilm, Avid Media Composer First, Lightworks, Kdenlive, OpenShot and Shotcut

with a brief pro/cons of each and they are all free

kanipek

I have used many, many different editors over the years. But my go to editor is TMPGEnc Smart Renderer. It just works. Doesn't overly complicate the process. Has support. Biggest feature to me is the smart rendering feature, edit out what you don't want and do an output and it only re-encodes the cut points. Very fast. Takes almost anything I can throw at it and when it doesn't there is generally something wrong with the file I am trying to encode - very rare occurrence.

There is a trial period available.

Currently at version 5:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr5.html

Waldonnis

On the very rare chance I need an editor, DaVinci Resolve is my go-to choice. It's probably a bit much for most people, though, and has a learning curve....and if you want to do some more specific advanced stuff, you end up dealing with paid plugins.  It's still very featured out of the box, thankfully, so you may never hit that point if you choose to use it and just do basic editing tasks.  I've also used Avid's NLE (the stupid-costly professional stuff) in the past, but that was many years ago and have no idea what has changed since then nor what their free product is like.  Their pro stuff back then was quite good, though.

Try em all and see what you like and if they can do what you need them to do.  Also, check out some "how to" or learning videos on the packages you're considering to see if there are ready-made tutorials for doing what you want to do.  It's a good way to preview what your workflow would look like with each.

Erik

Thanks everyone.

I tried a whole range of software today, some got uninstalled quickly, but have good 3-4 installed that work well and seem a good fit.

I'll take some time to give them a good test and post my experience later on.

Thanks again,

Erik

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...