Guide change cancels recording

speedingcheetah

speedingcheetah

Edit: Sorry, this was not meant to go in "Testing"section.....when You Google Emby forums, the link that sows "Server" takes you here and not to the normal section....

I have noticed that, if I set a scheduled recording of an episode of a tv show, if the guide info changes, the scheduled recording is removed and not re-set.

What happened is this, the episode I want to record I know is new, as the promos on that channel advertised it on that time slot, however, the normal TV Guide services had not been updated to reflect this until within 24 or 48hrs before air. I had set Emby to record the already listed episode(a repeat ep) last week. But i check it shortly before the show airs and notice that Emby guide data has updated and is showing the correct new ep in that time slot now....but it just deleted my Scheduled recording for that time slot, instead of updating and keeping  it. If I had not checked it, it would have not recorded.

Please make it so that when a user sets a recording, that should info change, that it still will record that channel at that time wit the new info....and/or perhaps at least notify the user somehow that some change or conflict has happened that needs attention.

Edited by speedingcheetah

maegibbons

IMHO that would be expected behaviour UNLESS you had series recording set.

Emby does NOT record by timeslot but by Series and Episode.

Krs

Mark

speedingcheetah

Hi, can we please go over a specific example? Thanks.

Specific example....what is said should be specfic enough....but ok fine.  Set recording 5 days ago for channel 928  for show in time slot 1pm-1:30pm CDT.  The guide info changed (i surmise in the last refresh last night) for that ep in that time slot. (same show, but new ep name and description). the scheduled recording was gone after the change. I had to go in a set it again. 

speedingcheetah

IMHO that would be expected behaviour UNLESS you had series recording set.

Emby does NOT record by timeslot but by Series and Episode.

Krs

Mark

I also use HDHR DVR software with my HDHR Prime and that software will record what ever is in the time slot even if its guide info changes or is not correct.

And with Emby Guide data, not all shows have all info such as ep number or even a decription. just the show name with no other info. and that records fine.

Specific example....what is said should be specfic enough....but ok fine.  Set recording 5 days ago for channel 928  for show in time slot 1pm-1:30pm CDT.  The guide info changed (i surmise in the last refresh last night) for that ep in that time slot. (same show, but new ep name and description). the scheduled recording was gone after the change. I had to go in a set it again. 

That does sound like proper behavior to me...

You requested a particular program (not time period) be recorded.  Then the info changed such that that program was no longer airing.  So nothing was recorded.

speedingcheetah

That does sound like proper behavior to me...

You requested a particular program (not time period) be recorded.  Then the info changed such that that program was no longer airing.  So nothing was recorded.

But the the particular program(the show) was infact airing. Just the ep name changed.

If this is "expected" behavior, then for those who set Series recordings or set future recordings in advanced, then dont think about it until weeks later, then wonder where the eps are???

Just saying....there needs to be some sort of alert or notification that a change has happened and a user Scheduled event timer record is no longer valid.

I recall Windows Media Center had such a alert.

But the the particular program(the show) was infact airing. Just the ep name changed.

Was it just the name or was it identifying information like the season and episode number?

speedingcheetah

Was it just the name or was it identifying information like the season and episode number?

Same show name....no season or ep number....what changed is the ep title and synopsis. 

If that's the only thing that changed then it should record just fine. Again we'd have to go over specific examples. thanks.

maegibbons

Can you confirm that SERIES Recording had been selected?

IF so THEN it should have recorded.  IF not THEN it should not have recorded.

Krs

Mark

speedingcheetah

Can you confirm that SERIES Recording had been selected?

IF so THEN it should have recorded.  IF not THEN it should not have recorded.

Krs

Mark

No. This was not set for Series Record. I don use that...i was just thinking ahead and for others that may run into this. This is the first time I have had this happen, that I have noticed anyway. (I do recall quite some time ago, some things I thought I had set to record, later I find not there, so I thought I had forgotten to set in the first place.)

the point is ..I set a show to record that I know is on that channel, that time slot....I expect it to record. PERIOD! If the network airs something contradictory to the guide, then fine, its not what I wanted, but at least I recorded it to see that something changed. If the guide data changes, then I still would expect it to record that time show time slot I set, but with the new data, or, if its radically different listing, then to notify me of a big change.

This is basic DVR function. Everything else I have used can handle this fine....Comcast box, Dish, TiVo DVR.  So thats what I am so confused as to when u say that what happened is intended behavior. and if the guide data did not refresh as it did before the airing, then it would have recorded fine, just labeled wrong ep, instead of just not recording at all. Perhaps maybe, you could add a setting that would simply tell the DVR function to ignore any guide changes that may occur from the time user sets Scheduled recording to the time of air, so that it will still record based on the core info of channel and time slot.

speedingcheetah

Again we'd have to go over specific examples. thanks.

specific example i gave in post #4.

But regardless, Not something I can give you further exact reproduced examples of  as it is a random and rare occurrence to have a show guide data changed for an exact ep and time slot I am trying to record.

I gave u the specific case and behavior as to when this happened.

Doesn't matter how many examples I can make up....its the same thing.

Scheduled Recording is canceled and show in time slot is not recorded in the rare event that the guide data changes.

I get that the logic behind that your software is setting the recording based on the guide data, title, ep name, season, ep number etc, and if that changes, then it finds that Scheduled Recording is "no longer valid", so deletes the task....but, there is no fall back option to record anyway, and/or no user notification to indicate this situation has occurred.

maegibbons

@@Luke

For a "future update" it probably needs a "Record Timeslot Regardless" option in record settings.

It is however a very rare case.

@@speedingcheetah in the meantine if you select Record Series it will cover an episode change.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

What were the guide changes exactly? What did it change to? Do you have before and after screenshots? If you can capture more information the next time it happens, that would be helpful.

If the guide information changes to a new time, then it should record at the new time. If the guide information changes and the program is removed, then for a series recording it won't record at all. An individual manual recording should still record at the timeslot though.

speedingcheetah

What were the guide changes exactly? What did it change to? Do you have before and after screenshots? If you can capture more information the next time it happens, that would be helpful.

If the guide information changes to a new time, then it should record at the new time. If the guide information changes and the program is removed, then for a series recording it won't record at all. An individual manual recording should still record at the timeslot though.

Same show, same time slot aired....no season or ep number showed....what changed is the ep title and synopsis and a "new" tag vs Repeat.