meatrack

meatrack

Any word on the interface? I've got several people interested in the Fire, but I've told them to wait on MB3. Plex is up, but I really prefer your system, so I'm trying hard to be patient.

• 2 weeks later...
thisguy2626

I realize that this will probably take some time, but I was just hoping there was an update, or at least an ETA, of when we can expect to see the app for the Fire TV? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
darwindeeds

Guys, I'm sure RedShirt is work hard on it. I know everyone is eager to get their hands on it and its very encouraging to the devs to see all the support but its very hard to give a date and meet it. The last time we did that (ie., set a date with IOS app), Apple's review process screwed us over and we are still stuck "In Review" for the last 3 weeks with no word on approval or rejection.

Looking at the teasers, looks like he is redesigning the UI which means it take a lot more effort than just updating the screen res for 10' UI. So I can understand the time that it is taking.

I'm a Fire TV user as well and eagerly waiting for the release. Words of encouragement and good reviews in the app store motivates the devs more than anything. Buying a couple of beers always help too :)

• 2 weeks later...
stewiebee

Hi as someone who owns a fire tv imported from usa the plex app is useless at any 5.1 mkv files,no sound and yet plex blame amazon.I have side loaded xbmc etc works perfectly.Luke cant wait for your release.

Edited by stewiebee

allen00se

just bought a firetv as well, kind of disappointed so far actually. For some reason i thought it would be different than the appletv and let me play my local media via share or dlna. I installed xbmc using the dev kit, but am probably just going to hold off using it until the mediabrowser app is available.

Redshirt

Hi as someone who owns a fire tv imported from usa the plex app is useless at any 5.1 mkv files,no sound and yet plex blame amazon.I have side loaded xbmc etc works perfectly.Luke cant wait for your release.

Plex is right, Amazon is to blame for the issue they are seeing. Just because XBMC plays Dolby Digital doesn't make Plex's position any less valid.

stewiebee

Hi so to be clear xbmc works on amazon dolby dts 5.1, and so does media browser works great side loaded,and yet amazon is too blame because plex does not play dd dts.It is clear that plex was not adapted to work fully with amazon tv.I have all ready uninstalled plex and many many fire tv users on forums are not happy with plex.Plex have had 2 months too submit new fire tv version that works but have not.Media browser is fast becoming the best player on all devices.Even the roku plex is almost 6 months old.I dont care what plex do as i am very happy with my media browser.Plex SHOULD play dolby and until it does it will remain off my fire tv.Lets not forget plex costs money and as someone who paid i expect it too be as good if not better than free software otherwise why bother purchasing.A lot of people have surround systems and plex should work with the device it is intended to play on.

Edited by stewiebee

• 2 weeks later...
Deihmos

Do people buy every single device that comes out? There is roku, xbox, ipad, iPhone, windows tablet, google tv, apple tv and the list goes on. How do developers keep up? Why get an amazon device over a roku?

thisguy2626

Do people buy every single device that comes out? There is roku, xbox, ipad, iPhone, windows tablet, google tv, apple tv and the list goes on. How do developers keep up? Why get an amazon device over a roku?

How many TVs do you own? Are they all the same brand and size?

For me, I have devices for each TV, and I like to know which is the best out there from personal experience, so I buy different ones. 

From my own personal experience, the Amazon TV far outstrips the Roku in responsiveness which is why I bought it in the first place... Other than that, there is no reason to choose one over the other. Eventually, you'll get the same content on all of them.

• Like 1

z31fanatic

Why get an amazon device over a roku?

The Fire TV hardware is three times more powerful than Roku. Plus a lot of people have Amazon Prime and the FTV is a no brainer for them over the other devices.

I bought the FTV mostly for the ability to run XBMC (and it runs well) in my living room. Plus the FTV can be rooted which adds other things that you can do with the device.

Plex on the FTV is a big fail because of no 5.1 DD or DTS. I would love to see MB3 on the FTV and convert those unhappy Plex guys to MB.

Edited by z31fanatic
  • Like 1

Redshirt

There's something weird about the Dolby digital support in ftv. I've been looking into it and it doesn't behave as Dolby describes.

The biggest fail of the fire TV is that it uses the old Netflix interface rather than the new unified ui.

Koleckai Silvestri

The Fire TV hardware is three times more powerful than Roku. Plus a lot of people have Amazon Prime and the FTV is a no brainer for them over the other devices.

I bought the FTV mostly for the ability to run XBMC (and it runs well) in my living room. Plus the FTV can be rooted which adds other things that you can do with the device.

Plex on the FTV is a big fail because of no 5.1 DD or DTS. I would love to see MB3 on the FTV and convert those unhappy Plex guys to MB.

Just want to point out you can get Amazon Prime on the Roku. The only thing you can't get it on is other Android Devices due to the spat between Amazon and Google about the Fire OS Interface.

z31fanatic

I know that you can get Instant Video on the Roku. It's just that it's a better experience on the FTV. Just my opinion.

Not as much incentive for Netflix on Amazon hardware to give it their all. Amazon's curation of apps, videos, etc must be #1 on Amazon hardware. Amazon likes it this way. Netflix, youtube, and others apps or service providers can always be denied at Amazon's whim.

The spat you mention is the new AndroidL operating system. Amazon can't at that point keep its walled garden afloat using googles operating system any longer. It must not stick its bloatware over android any longer. At this point amazon may just create an amazon video app for pure android. It will have no choice but to. It makes no sense why they haven't done this already except greed and vanity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

No, they're going to have their own operating system. it might just be a fork of android, but amazon isn't rolling out all these new devices just to play by somebody else's rules. 

There are no rules for forking android and calling it something else. there are rules for making changes to the OS and continuing to call it android. two different things.

Koleckai Silvestri

Yeah, I don't see Aamzon giving in to Google now. They would have capitulated when the Kindle Fire first came out if they cared about Google's apps at all. Though they need to work with Micorosft or Apple to bring some sort of mapping to Fire OS.

I see Amazon pushed out of the market the same way Barnes and Nobles Nook line was eventually discarded. Amazon needs to stick to content and package delivery its strong points. Making hardware they will soon pull a Sega and over estimate their marketshare. Why does amazon need "free app of the day"? Because they already know their system has failed. The way you add value to customers knowing they are now trapped. Give them the first few "hits" for free. Amazon was a drug dealer in a past life whoever designed that idea for their appstore. ;)

Edited by speechles

keep dreaming. for now they are too big and have too much momentum to get pushed around by anyone.

• Like 1

Next year Luke, when you read this post again. I told you so. ;)