meatrack

meatrack

Amazon has released the Fire TV. I see that Plex is already listed there.

Will the Fire TV be able to control the Mediabrowser app in the Amazon store? I already have, and use, this on my Kindle Fire HDX. This would make the Fire TV a killer box.

Will there be a way to keep it from transcoding? This box has a lot of horses under the hood.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX5P8FC?ref_=sr_tr_1&qid=1396454562&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle&pldnSite=1

Koleckai Silvestri

Interesting little box. Is it only available in the US?

That seems to be the case currently. Amazon will probably roll it out to their other major markets in the future. The UK is probably next considering their investment in LoveFilms and the rebranding that recently occurred with that site.

Very happy to hear you are working on this.  Mine gets here tomorrow.  If you want someone to help test it, let me know.  :)   Can't move my Roku3 to another room until I have Media Browser working on the Fire.  :)

Shan

ibeamadeus

Just to see how it works I'll be trying the old Beta 13 (I think that's the one) version of the Mediabrowser.apk on the FireTV hopefully tomorrow when I have time (It worked well on my S4)...  I have that APK from back when it was still just in Beta so I'll see how it does..

Redshirt

I have no doubt that the client will work on the Fire TV. I feel that it'll be a substandard experience as the UI is designed for a tablet/phone. Once I have a 10' UI complete. I'll be shouting it from the rooftops for all the Fire TV, Ouya, mini-pc owners to hear.

• Like 6

@@Redshirt - I've tried looking for more detail about the 10' UI but haven't seen much. Do you anticipate LiveTV being part of the client in the near future? That would more or less tip me over the edge towards android over roku as the roku UI looks terrible compared to what android can offer.

Redshirt

The 10' UI will come first, and then live TV will be added to both the tablet/phone and TV layouts. I figure it'll only be a few months before both are done. 

Koleckai Silvestri

I almost expect Roku to release an Android powered device within the next 18 months. Especially if Android TV takes off. This would allow them to concentrate on content and not really hinder them in anyway. They would probably have to create a skeleton app for people to build off of and integrate some custom APIs but it would be cheaper than updating Brightscript to compete.

Yeah it will make it hard for them to differentiate though... I'm in Australia so it's an effort to get any of these devices except Apple TVs and mini androids... Looking forward to comparing the fire tv with the new Apple TV and android tv options :)

Koleckai Silvestri

Maybe.. They have quite a few benefits and over 1000 public channels. More than any others plus in the US they have some content deals with companies like Time Warner, MGo, AOL, Newsy and a few others that benefit them.

rubepeta

On the 10' ui I would like to request we have the ability to scroll vertically because I for one hate the vertical scrolling of the roku, and even the amazon tv ui.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
JoshFink

On the 10' ui I would like to request we have the ability to scroll vertically because I for one hate the vertical scrolling of the roku, and even the amazon tv ui.

Seconded. Hate the horizontal scroll.

ibeamadeus

I figured I'd chime in really quick since I did finally side load the MB3 app on the Fire TV...I happened to buy the MB3 app from Amazon months ago so  I tried both the kindle and generic beta(older) versions and it was difficult to navigate due to the differences in touch vs remote, things like asking it to "Remember me" can't be done as the selector will never hover over the check box, and it was surprisingly unstable when trying to find something specific... (Fast clicking/scrolling)  The interface worked fine when being deliberately slow, just a bit quirky like having to do odd sequences of ups and downs like select the options drop down then having to get all the way to the right in order to select those options...  but video played without a problem...  (I know you guys are working hard at it, so just letting you know my experiences on the unedited app :)  )

Just my 2 cents and I'm probably in the minority but who knows, I really don't like the new style of MBT or the Android app/Roku App on a big screen (They work great on tablets and phones)  But there is something about the spit/polish of the MB Classic interface that seems to me more professional, No offense to anyone, but using a remote, not a touch device MBC is much easier to navigate and isn't as cluttered and for me it provides the exact information I need without giving me everything at once, I just wish it existed on another platform othe than WMC....

Anyway Keep up the great work guys I look forward to playing with the Fire TV optimized app!!

Edited by ibeamadeus
  • Like 2

Redshirt

I have no doubt that the client will work on the Fire TV. I feel that it'll be a substandard experience as the UI is designed for a tablet/phone. Once I have a 10' UI complete. I'll be shouting it from the rooftops for all the Fire TV, Ouya, mini-pc owners to hear.

I was afraid of that, hence the above statement. We'll get there though.

• Like 1

ibeamadeus

I was afraid of that, hence the above statement. We'll get there though.

It's All Good!

I knew it would be off, just curious how different it would actually be...  On the plus side the surround sound seems to work well! (at least on the movies I tried)

Just my 2 cents and I'm probably in the minority but who knows, I really don't like the new style of MBT or the Android app/Roku App on a big screen (They work great on tablets and phones) But there is something about the spit/polish of the MB Classic interface that seems to me more professional, No offense to anyone, but using a remote, not a touch device MBC is much easier to navigate and isn't as cluttered and for me it provides the exact information I need without giving me everything at once, I just wish it existed on another platform othe than WMC....

Got to agree MBC is still killing it imho...

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk