Play from optical drive

whitestrat13

whitestrat13

This may be a dumb question, but I couldn't find this anywhere.

Will we be able to (or are we currently able to) use MBT to playback directly from a local optical drive, providing the correct playback software is installed?

For instance, if i put a Blu-Ray into my optical drive, can use my remote to select the local media, and then MBT will launch powerdvd to playback/decode the disk.

Disclaimer:  The machine I have MBT on doesn't currently have an optical drive in it, I'm just curious if this functionality is on the road map.

If you want to use PDVD for playback, you can already do that now.  There is no reason for MBT to be involved.  Just use the autoplay capability of the OS.

Shaun

This may be a dumb question, but I couldn't find this anywhere.

Will we be able to (or are we currently able to) use MBT to playback directly from a local optical drive, providing the correct playback software is installed?

For instance, if i put a Blu-Ray into my optical drive, can use my remote to select the local media, and then MBT will launch powerdvd to playback/decode the disk.

Disclaimer:  The machine I have MBT on doesn't currently have an optical drive in it, I'm just curious if this functionality is on the road map.

The latest alpha 3.0.5204.43083 (you need to set your automatic update level  to 'dev')  has a play external disk app in the apps folder. It will prompt you to insert a dvd/blueray and will then play it using the internal MBT media player.

The current version of the internal MBT player does not have a lot of fancy features (no chapters, skip forward, media info) but it works fine.

Please test it and give me your feed back.

Edited by Shaun

Latchmor

Just tried it @@Shaun and it works as described above. I was using my 'everyday' PC (this one) and selected the DVD Menu options with the keyboard (arrows and enter) but I'm guessing a remote will work, just couldn't test that part.

Cheers

• Like 1

SikSlayer

I came on just so I could make a similar request.....I *would* like to see MBT play from a Disc/Image/Folder in and of itself.

I haven't found any requests when I searched, hopefully I'm not posting this request in the wrong place.

A8HTPC

I have made this request a couple different times and gave a couple ideas on how to do this. This is very disappointing, but maybe eventually.

One2Go

Looks like many of you don't quite understand what is involved in playback of BD folders. If you want full menus you need a BD license which is expensive in addition any license issued now needs to implement cinavia, basically making folder playback impossible for cinavia infested discs. The alternative is BD light, no menus which makes playback of seamless branching titles very difficult. In addition playback of TV episodes nearly impossible as you have to guess which m2ts file is which episode.

TMT / PDVD on a PC has been hacked by anyDVD to not flag cinavia infested discs. Anything else will draw the attention of the lawyers of the BD licensing agency. Anyone remembers what happened to DVDFab.

Edited by One2Go

A8HTPC

There are ways around it. The MB team CAN allow an external program to play the disc, but choose not to remotely venture toward the idea. This could easily be setup in External Players. The next issue would be to be able to close the external program which I wouldn't think would be very hard using a command to terminate the specific application exec file. MBT might need administrative privileges to do that which would be an issue either.

Edited by A8HTPC

One2Go

You still need a playback solution and as soon as you call the BD stack for menus you need a license. If you use an external player how will you get around the cinavia implementation which is a requirement? Unless you use BD light. Commercial vendors have tried and failed or have been shut down by FBI or dragged into court. BD licensing is not spending loads of money to protect their licensing fee by letting some loophole bypass their licensing structure. Even if you find a way around it, it will be short lived, otherwise their money spent on lawyers would have been a waste.

TrainAss

The latest alpha 3.0.5204.43083 (you need to set your automatic update level  to 'dev')  has a play external disk app in the apps folder. It will prompt you to insert a dvd/blueray and will then play it using the internal MBT media player.

The current version of the internal MBT player does not have a lot of fancy features (no chapters, skip forward, media info) but it works fine.

Please test it and give me your feed back.

So MBT will play Blu-Ray and DVD movies? Did you guys include the codecs with the player (or am I confused)?

A8HTPC

The playback solution would be the external player such as powerdvd or Total Media Theater which can play bluray discs. All MBT needs to do, is monitor the disc drive and start the external player which will handle all the decrypting. Yes windows has this feature already, but not when you shell MBT into windows, which eliminates the autoplay function. Now my idea is not very popular to those that don't shell their PC. This pretty much is directed away from the OPs original question since he/she wants to rely on MBT to playback the disc, which would be awesome, but costly.

We definitely don't want the MB team to do anything illegal. There are plenty of people on this forum that are more than willing to help pay the cost for this small, very convenient feature. Even if this was a plug in that has to be separately installed and purchased. Though I understand its very very pricing, so im not sure if it is doable.

Edited by A8HTPC

A8HTPC

I wish to turn this feature off myself. Have no need for it.

What feature? Windows Auto Play?

whitestrat13

I wasn't suggesting circumventing the licensing, I just would like to be able to purchase a package of licenses so MBT can legally playback disks. Like you can with powerdvd, or any stand alone BD player. I'm fine with paying the necessary fees.

whitestrat13

I have no idea if this is possible, but the biggest problem is getting codecs/licenses for playback.  It would be great if there was a software add on that included all the bits and pieces needed to playback DVD and Blu-Ray direct from disk.  I'd personally be fine with paying $50-100 for this functionality, and I'd much rather pay the MB team than PowerDVD or the others.  I really don't want to build an HTPC that can make use of MadVR for high quality rendering and scaling, and still have to buy a decent stand alone player for when I rent, or don't have time to rip the disk.

We are playing them the exact same way as folder rips, by passing the path to lav filters. Considering they're already working on bluray i prefer to let them handle that and we'll handle the presentation.

As for a way to turn it off, yes, I think that's a good idea.

• Like 1

One2Go

External playback software like TMT or PDVD can only be used if their cinavia detection has been hacked by AnyDVD. For TMT it means that the AnyDVD hack will only work on ISOs not folders. After years of trying by Slysoft Cinavia has yet to be removed, the audio watermark is so robust that after recording the audio track with a recorder then reencoding it the Cinavia audio mark still survives. It is for this reason that some DVDs have Cinavia protection because people have muxed the BD video with the DVD audio and tried to get around the protection.

BD playback from folders with full menus and no Cinavia detection will be very illusive if not impossible. ATM the only way possible is with hacked TMT, PDVD or a 2009 streaming media player like the Dune or PCH.

Just to add to the conversation the battle is heating up:

https://torrentfreak.com/slysoft-dvd-ripper-owner-found-guilty-in-criminal-action-140403/

Edited by One2Go

SikSlayer

Looks like many of you don't quite understand what is involved in playback of BD folders. If you want full menus you need a BD license which is expensive in addition any license issued now needs to implement cinavia, basically making folder playback impossible for cinavia infested discs. The alternative is BD light, no menus which makes playback of seamless branching titles very difficult. In addition playback of TV episodes nearly impossible as you have to guess which m2ts file is which episode.

TMT / PDVD on a PC has been hacked by anyDVD to not flag cinavia infested discs. Anything else will draw the attention of the lawyers of the BD licensing agency. Anyone remembers what happened to DVDFab.

Well, I have a number of BD/DVD folders in my library that play just fine in MBT (the core film anyway, which is all I am concerned with)

Luke even weighed in:

We are playing them the exact same way as folder rips, by passing the path to lav filters. Considering they're already working on bluray i prefer to let them handle that and we'll handle the presentation.

As for a way to turn it off, yes, I think that's a good idea.

I just want a 'Play Disc' button like in Media Center or XBMC, so I can pop in a disc and have MBT launch TMT/PDVD/*, when I hit it.

Maybe having the option to right click or something to load a folder that's not in my library.

All this talk about Cinavia is besides the point.

• Like 3

One2Go

Well, I have a number of BD/DVD folders in my library that play just fine in MBT (the core film anyway, which is all I am concerned with)

Which works fine for BDs until you hit a disc with seamless branching.

I just want a 'Play Disc' button like in Media Center or XBMC, so I can pop in a disc and have MBT launch TMT/PDVD/*, when I hit it.

Maybe having the option to right click or something to load a folder that's not in my library.

As long as you use the actual optical disc Cinavia will not be activated, but ripped folders or ISOs will trigger Cinavia. And it will become a point when after 20 minutes playback it stops with an error message.

Koleckai Silvestri

The button is on the Apps section of the main menu in the latest build. They should make it show up on the main menu if a disc is in the drive. Not sure about the external apps though I suspect it would work like any media you have external players configured for. I don't use external players though.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Hmm odd place for it if its there

I agree. This isn't the place for it. But at least we have it. Thanks.

I agree. Even if I don't need the feature, it should be easier to discover. I am guessing the main menu (Movies, TV, Games, Apps, Folders) isn't very malleable yet.

I was testing it out earlier with a DVD of Virtuosity and it plays well enough. Even gives the DVD menu at the beginning. I don't know how Blurays works as I don't have a Bluray player in the PC I am using and don't have Bluray playback software.

whitestrat13

I agree completely.  This is all I really want.  

Ideally, MBT would be licensed  (legally, so it would cost money for this functionality) so we could use the internal player for playback of copy protected disks, instead of using PowerDVD or TMT for playback.

A8HTPC

Play from Optical Drive in MBT.

Turn it off? Its not even existant as far as I know. If you know how to get it working through MBT let me know