While fast forward or rewind pls show frames previews

chudak

chudak

It'd be very useful if Emby cleints (I am using Roku client) be able to show video frames while fast forward or rewind videos.

It'd be similar like yourtube does it at the moment.

Thx

mastrmind11

It'd be very useful if Emby cleints (I am using Roku client) be able to show video frames while fast forward or rewind videos.

It'd be similar like yourtube does it at the moment.

Thx

turn on chapter extraction.

mastrmind11

pls elaborate

where?  in client, server ?

server, under transcoding settings I believe... sorry, haven't looked at settings in probably a year.

chudak

server, under transcoding settings I believe... sorry, haven't looked at settings in probably a year.

Oh I see "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" I have it on and thats not what I am asking - during "fast forward or rewind videos"

mastrmind11

Subtitles and chapter extraction are not the same thing.

Edit, just found it, it's now selectable per library, so drill down into library settings and enable chapter image extraction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by mastrmind11

@@chudak

On the roku it is entirely possible...

4PLxNxI.png

You mean this, right? If you install that plugin and let the task create *.bif files for your media it will work that way.

If you meant on the other clients too.. maybe thats why its a feature request?

Edit: @@Luke can you get rid of that note that these only work for direct-streaming. They can work for both direct and transcoded media just fine now.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

chudak

@@chudak

On the roku it is entirely possible...

4PLxNxI.png

You mean this, right? If you install that plugin and let the task create *.bif files for your media it will work that way.

If you meant on the other clients too.. maybe thats why its a feature request?

Edit: @@Luke can you get rid of that note that these only work for direct-streaming. They can work for both direct and transcoded media just fine now.

I am running it now.

It will take maybe 2-3 hours and who knows how much of drive space.

How does youtube do it w/o any local tasks?

I am running it now.

It will take maybe 2-3 hours and who knows how much of drive space.

How does youtube do it w/o any local tasks?

Think of youtube as if it were a person. Youtube would've already run the task, created the .bif files its player depends on, and been ready for roku users. The same way, your emby server will be in say, 2-3 hours. The bif files themselves on average about 2.75MB for every 30 minutes with hd/320 bif files.

chudak

Think of youtube as if it were a person. Youtube would've already run the task, created the .bif files its player depends on, and been ready for roku users. The same way, your emby server will be in say, 2-3 hours. The bif files themselves on average about 2.75MB for every 30 minutes with hd/320 bif files.

yes see your point

wonder how much space will it take

chudak

Well it ran for like 10+ hours !

And I don't see any thumbnails on Roku client !  Why?

It seems to be working on iPhone client tho.

Also - where are all those files stored?

Thx

Edited by chudak

Yep, the metadata/library folder has em. Under each guid folder and simply named index.bif when created.

If you wanted them saved, in with the media folders, you unfortunately have to do everything all over again. There is no migration method to easily move them. I should have explained that part. If your library.db becomes corrupt you will lose the bif unless they go with the media files. My bad for not mentioning it sooner.

In the settings (configuration) for the roku plugin:

BZ1MX9I.png

chudak

Yep, the metadata/library folder has em. Under each guid folder and simply named index.bif when created.

If you wanted them saved, in with the media folders, you unfortunately have to do everything all over again. There is no migration method to easily move them. I should have explained that part. If your library.db becomes corrupt you will lose the bif unless they go with the media files. My bad for not mentioning it sooner.

In the settings (configuration) for the roku plugin:

BZ1MX9I.png

So it does not work

Any more suggestions ?

chudak

What does not work?

After building all file with Roku Thumbnails plug in, Rolu Emby client does not show thumbnails when fast forward or rewind.

See initial request.

After building all file with Roku Thumbnails plug in, Rolu Emby client does not show thumbnails when fast forward or rewind.

See initial request.

After you installed the roku plugin, you restarted emby server?

You also have to restart all the roku apps. Once they restart their session, the server should tell the app that it can serve BIF files (/emby/plugins shows the roku thumbnail present). Once it does this, you may see black squares (placeholder images) instead of actual video thumbnails for some media that isn't recognized yet, or had it's BIF files created. If they were created you would see them show up as the server would be sending them over.

If you still see the background image of the video as you fast-forward or rewind after restarting the app then you need to restart the server again possibly. Seeing the background image means the app doesn't think the server has the roku thumbnail plugin installed.

These BIF images work for me on both the official app, and within the blue neon app.

YLR7HQB.png

Edited by speechles

chudak

After you installed the roku plugin, you restarted emby server?

You also have to restart all the roku apps. Once they restart their session, the server should tell the app that it can serve BIF files (/emby/plugins shows the roku thumbnail present). Once it does this, you may see black squares (placeholder images) instead of actual video thumbnails for some media that isn't recognized yet, or had it's BIF files created. If they were created you would see them show up as the server would be sending them over.

If you still see the background image of the video as you fast-forward or rewind after restarting the app then you need to restart the server again possibly. Seeing the background image means the app doesn't think the server has the roku thumbnail plugin installed.

These BIF images work for me on both the official app, and within the blue neon app.

YLR7HQB.png

I did all this and it works on iOS and in browser, but not on Roku ultra box :(

Edited by chudak

I did all this and it works on iOS and in browser, but not on Roku ultra box :(

On iOS and in-browser it can use the mp4/h264 container to pull images from as you watch. So after you watch so much, it has already created the thumbnails to show on the device itself. There is no cache though. So each time you watch this process has to happen freshly.

With roku we need BIF sent to the device during playback. The bonus of the server making BIF in advance versus the device itself pulling thumbnails is ...ALL... your media can have BIF files that any user with a roku can take advantage of. Direct, transcoded, doesn't matter. It can do all your videos, not just the special containers that device chose to work with.

On iOS its pretty much mp4/h264, nothing else has seek thumbnails. :(

On browser its both mp4/h264 and webm with vp8/9. Better.. but still not everything has thumbnails. :(

On roku its everything. More time consuming, space, cpu.. but end result everything has seek thumbnails. :) :) :)

In the end, it comes down to your setup.. something in it is holding up the app from detecting the roku thumbnail plugin is installed. It might also be something holding it up from sending the BIF file at all too. 

Is it possible you can post logs, or some kind of indication that your roku BIF are being created? That the roku BIF files are being requested by the app, and subsequently sent back?

After trying to play that exact file shown in the logs as being given BIF (you can check a few minutes after) if they do not work, please post that log file. Redact any information that isnt relevant. What is relevant is the OS type, what other plugins you have installed (which can break the plugins endpoint from reporting any are installed), etc.. ie.. don't show us your IP address, use find/replace and change it to "<my-ip-was-here>". Do the same with other info you redact. Don't just delete things without replacing them with <redacted> or similar, we need to know something was there, just not exactly what was there (hopefully you understand) :)

Edited by speechles

@@chudak, he says it works for him. i just tested this and I was able to see thumbnails. perhaps you can try another video?

chudak

@@chudak, he says it works for him. i just tested this and I was able to see thumbnails. perhaps you can try another video?

Uninstalled the plug in

Think it’s un useful :(

Sammy

Let me tag on to this if I may..

Is it possible to get this in other clients such as nVidia ShieldTV and Tizen? (I see mention of it working on iOS?)

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk