Public and private playlists

harrv

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

be it within emby, netflix, pl*x - or any other 'software' needs to be secured

This just isn't the same thing at all.  "within emby" is inside your own personal system - so it is secured in that systems access.   We don't have a central place where this information is stored such that it could be accessed by anyone other than the users of your own system.  In that way we are completely different from something like Netflix.  But, if you think your viewing habits are private on Netflix, you've got another thing coming... :) as that is not considered "personal" information.

The bottom line is nothing like GDPR applies to this issue in any conceivable way.

• Agree 3

Spaceboy
8 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Perhaps you need to learn what GDPR covers yourself before making such sweeping statements.

If a personal playlist is open for all to see - then it's not confidential is it ...

6. Integrity and Confidentiality

This principle deals exclusively with security. Your organisation must ensure that all the appropriate measures are in place to secure the personal data you hold. 

😂 what personal information is included in a music playlist you fool?

image.thumb.png.b7108a1d666b35b37612752054893d40.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rbjtech

This is my last post on this - as I can't be doing with people that resort to insults. 

Have a good read of this and tell me that from a selection of playlists (video and/or music), you could not identify who's they are - you do not need their names, you just need to identify who that data belongs to.  That is personal data. 

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/key-definitions/what-is-personal-data/

Spaceboy
45 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

This is my last post on this - as I can't be doing with people that resort to insults. 

Have a good read of this and tell me that from a selection of playlists (video and/or music), you could not identify who's they are - you do not need their names, you just need to identify who that data belongs to.  That is personal data. 

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/key-definitions/what-is-personal-data/

you know that saying about the wise man knowing what they don't know. Thats not you

Someone with more self respect would have bailed on this eariler and accepted they were out of their depth.

i deal with GDPR (and people misquoting it) on a daily basis in my job.

Your first name is NOT personally identifiable data unless perhaps your name is Jesus

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

Your first name is NOT personally identifiable data unless perhaps your name is Jesus

Or maybe Cher, Madonna, Selena, Prince or Oprah. :)

pwhodges

And how many poor children get named after these by doting parents with an obsession?  Names are commonplace...

Paul

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

Your first name is NOT personally identifiable data

Even if it were, it isn't being exposed to the public or anyone outside of your own control here so, as we said, this law simply has no bearing on this issue.

However, folks, please keep the discussion civil.  We do not need personal insults in here.

Thanks.

• Agree 1

If you fear someone on your server is keeping tabs on your viewing habits why have you let them on your server?

It has no bearing the privacy acts of any country since like the vampire rules "You invited them in". Once you do that you have crossed the line where that law no longer has bearing.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Armageus said:

Regardless it would be nice if private playlists could be an option in the future.

Yes, back on topic, that would be the goal.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Private lists are essential. Even in the family or among friends, many people often do not want to reveal certain moods or compositions to everyone.
I have seen this happen with various family members. As soon as they realized that their lists were public, the feature was dead for them.

• Like 1

Napsterbater

Just adding, I agree that Private/User Specific playlist are needed.

A Users should be the owner of a Playlist, and they can chose to make it Public but not editable by anyone else (except maybe admin/s of course)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
GrimReaper

Piggybacking onto this topic from similar, strictly access-related, thread, and, quite frankly, find it embarrassing that this is still being discussed and sought-after at this point in time.

Off the top of my head, I could count 10 or 20 enhancements that have found their way as server improvements over the past few years, and that in no way should've had before current playlist management (access/ownership) has been revamped.  

Although likely in vain, I'll voice my support, but from where I'm standing, it certainly doesn't look like that anyone should get their hopes up particularly high. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
On 5/10/2021 at 4:57 PM, cayars said:

But again this isn't a public system, but a private system that is administered and controlled by an individual for their family and personal friends use

On 5/10/2021 at 5:08 PM, cayars said:

Why would I care if only my family or friends can use my system?
Do you not think they know me and my family?

On 5/11/2021 at 3:35 PM, speechles said:

If you fear someone on your server is keeping tabs on your viewing habits why have you let them on your server?

While those are valid views and usual conception, whilst likely being the most common-usage scenario, it certainly ain't exclusive one. 

As those few of you - that I'm on more famillar terms with - already know, I'm seaman by profession. And I share my server with my colleagues/co-workers upon every contract onboard, for no other reason but simply because I can and I'm willing to. Our life is hard enough as it is, with very limited welfare options, so why not bring some joy to someone if I can? And some joy it brings, whenever I let someone new in, it's the talk for days once they see my collection. And it just makes me that much happier, seeing that I did something positive for someone, with absolutely no benefit out of it besides a smile or two. Same thing that drives me around forums, if my limited knowledge can provide some assistance or solution and make someone's day - why not? 

That said, only the very few amongst those I would call friends, vast majority of them are, at best, acquaintances, with whom I'm on speaking terms: "Good morning, Thank you, Good night." And that's enough.

Out of roughly 300ish users that have had access to my server throughout the years, I'd estimate 10ish I would call friends. So I would hardly assume I know the other 290. Or that they know me. Nor do I want them to. I don't want them to know my viewing habits. I don't want to know theirs. And I certainly don't want them accessing (or modifying or deleting!) my playlists. Those are made by me, for my own viewing/listening habits and for my own moods. I've invested time in them, I've curated them to my own liking, they are personally mine and NO, I do not want to share them. 

Is that really that hard to comprehend?

Emby has given us tools. Now give us means. 

• 2 weeks later...
Armageus
On 08/10/2021 at 15:38, GrimReaper said:

Piggybacking onto this topic from similar, strictly access-related, thread, and, quite frankly, find it embarrassing that this is still being discussed and sought-after at this point in time.

Off the top of my head, I could count 10 or 20 enhancements that have found their way as server improvements over the past few years, and that in no way should've had before current playlist management (access/ownership) has been revamped.  

Although likely in vain, I'll voice my support, but from where I'm standing, it certainly doesn't look like that anyone should get their hopes up particularly high. 

100% agree, and it's absolutely bonkers some of the enhancements that have been made (e.g. edge case scenarios that affect single users, or features that benefit "server operators" who are clearly selling pirated content to others), when there are still huge holes in the user experience (public/private playlists is a basic one, but there are more major one's such as how poor Emby is as a music player/library)

• Agree 2

Hi, Playlists will get revamped in an upcoming release just as Boxsets/Collections did recently.

Emby Server works quite well for Music assuming you have your media tagged correctly. That of course doesn't help those who want a dedicated music only client but right now the focus is on having all content available in each client and not needing separate apps for different things.

We know dedicated apps especially for iOS and Android would be welcome and is something we would like to do for a future release.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

horstepipe
59 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, Playlists will get revamped in an upcoming release just as Boxsets/Collections did recently.

• Agree 1

horstepipe

Hm did I miss something? What has been changed to collections? E.g is it possible now to forbid users editing them?

Yea I guess you did.  Besides other changes and new features 4.6 had two big changes to existing functionality.  One was concerning music and the other Collections.

It's no longer using Boxset plugin but is built into the core now and configurable per library.
No longer uses XML files off disc which always needed editing if you moved files (same as playlists currently).
Is dynamically generated by meta-data from providers or hand created.
Stores all collection info in the NFO files so you can rebuild libraries and bring back collections.
etc.

To end end user everything appears the same but internally it's quite different and far better.

• Like 2

Armageus
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Emby Server works quite well for Music assuming you have your media tagged correctly. That of course doesn't help those who want a dedicated music only client but right now the focus is on having all content available in each client and not needing separate apps for different things.

We know dedicated apps especially for iOS and Android would be welcome and is something we would like to do for a future release.

Upcoming release? Based on similar upcoming releases, that could be years from now.

Emby does work quite well, but quite well isn't good enough. Maybe it's just the user experience I have on a Roku, but it's much poorer than I'd expect, when even simple things like shuffle all don't work as expected, and no options to thumbs up, thumbs down tracks for individual users.

Yea could be based on "upcoming", LOL.
But it won't.

Right now playlists are global so if you adjust the the play order it's for everyone.
Before playlists can get "personal" it really needs to be migrated to a database vs the xml files currently used as that would get hard to manage.

Luke has been going through the code making optimizations to different sections and also moving somethings to DLLs out of the main body. Other things like Collections were brought into the core to become part of library setup. So he's going through things programmatically in a way that makes sense and this will likely be one of those with optimizations with new features added based on things requested.

Can't give a time table of course but it's on the radar screen.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Is there a way to do this at all? 

I searched around a bit but didn't seem to find anything. Essentially there are now like 16 playlists with a single show in them and I am tired of cleaning it up. If it can be set so that only the person who made the playlist can see it, that would be fantastic. 

Thanks

GrimReaper

You've kicked a hornet's nest, Playlist access/permissions is long due for revamp, hopefully in not too distant future. 

• Like 1