Server shuts down immediately after new update

Jack Burton

Jack Burton

Got a notification about an hour ago about a new update to the server. Went to watch something a few minutes ago and the server wasn't running. Now every time I boot up the server, it shuts down after a few seconds. Not sure what version it updated to since I can't boot the server up, but I'm not on betas

Log

unhandled_ec5f6968-159c-4f1e-bf0c-6af9271b32aa.txt

Revenent

Hitting the exact same issue.

Reading the release notes, thought it was because I didn't have .NET Core 2.1.2 installed, but even installing that didn't help.

I'm running Emby as a service, but I tried launching it directly, and it didn't work either.

Edit: Running this on Windows Server 2012 R2

Edited by Revenent

Revenent

MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\CoverArt
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\AutoBoxSets.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\CoverArt.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\Emby.Server.CinemaMode.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\EmbyReports.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\GameBrowser.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\IMVDb.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\MediaBrowser.Plugins.Anime.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\MediaBrowser.Plugins.RottenTomatoes.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\Mediabrowser.Plugins.Trailers.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\OpenSubtitles.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\XmlMetadata.dll
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\1cf67157d1fb28fa2388fc6387422111
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\74b71ee758ef44287924ac2d5dac5c75
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\9a8acd66aa428029d0d42453fd059226
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\a4bb26c7ec05bedce349ee965ac3ed97
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\AutoBoxSets.xml
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\CoverArt.xml
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\GameBrowser.xml
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\MediaBrowser.Plugins.Anime.xml
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\configurations\MediaBrowser.Plugins.Trailers.xml
MediaBrowser-Server\plugins\CoverArt\Custom-Overlays

Try removing all of those dll files and then reinstalling from the catalog. Thanks.

Revenent

Thanks - I took out GameBrowser and things started working again.

I'll clean out the plug-ins that haven't been updated for a while later today and see how things go.

mithra62

Hello,

As the title says, Emby won't start. I've had it installed since the MediaBrowser days and it's been great, but last night I try to watch something and Emby wouldn't even start up. Going through the logs (attached) there's an issue about:

The system cannot find the file specified.) ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.ComponentModel.Composition

I've tried updating .NET, Windows, and have verified that C++ Redist is installed. I even went so far as to uninstall Emby to reinstall, and that yielded nothing.

Any ideas?

embyserver-63667421607.txt

unhandled_24e4d508-b470-4ca6-bea1-b80b522f34ff.txt

Happy2Play

Hello,

As the title says, Emby won't start. I've had it installed since the MediaBrowser days and it's been great, but last night I try to watch something and Emby wouldn't even start up. Going through the logs (attached) there's an issue about:

The system cannot find the file specified.) ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.ComponentModel.Composition

I've tried updating .NET, Windows, and have verified that C++ Redist is installed. I even went so far as to uninstall Emby to reinstall, and that yielded nothing.

Any ideas?

@@mithra62 Does removing the GameBrowser plugin help like it did for the others?

mithra62

Not sure if it was exactly removing that specific plugin, but it does work now. But removed ALL the dll files in there so not definitive.

You can now use the plugin catalog to reinstall the ones that you want. Normally this kind of thing isn't necessary. You must have had a really old version of a plugin that for whatever reason stopped updating itself. The latest versions should be fine. Thanks.

mithra62

Makes sense; been around since the 2.X days and only did 1 fresh install all those years ago. Kuds on it lasting this long with all the complexity involved

Happy2Play

Really old GameBrowser version

GameBrowser, Version=3.0.6119.40732

There have been a problem with that version of the plug-in that prevented it from being able to update.

Thanks for the feedback. If you want GameBrowser you can install the latest version from the Emby catalog. 

cptlores

Emby crashes caused by plugins seem to be a recurring theme, so maybe time to implement some kind of plugin compatibility scheme? Something that makes sure that only versions of plugins that are compatible with the installed Emby are started.

Edited by cptlores

Trevor68

also did not survive this update, server starts, but is grinding and never completes a media update. I removed a whole bunch of older plugins with no improvement (game browser was not amongst them). Also removed my music library, still no improvement, log attached.

embyserver.txt

mentasm

I've been getting server crashes since the update.  No game browser plugin installed

rampageX

Same here, I've been getting server crashes since the update.  No game browser or other plugin installed.

Windows 10 RS4, Emby 3.5 x64.

Rollback to 3.4.10 is fine.

Same here, I've been getting server crashes since the update.  No game browser or other plugin installed.

Windows 10 RS4, Emby 3.5 x64.

Rollback to 3.4.10 is fine.

Please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !