Theme Videos in AndroidTV / ShieldTV?

Sammy

cbdudek

I don't see this as a lack of respect. I have thoroughly enjoyed a lot of your insight on these forums since I have been lurking. If you take my comments as a lack of respect, then so be it. We all share in the love for this product. Let's continue that discussion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jburgess

It would be interesting to know if this is in the near future or miles away. 

1. I would enable this for my users, when I am on a web browser and a movie starts playing the trailer in the background, its just cool. (I also think that when it does happen, the feature should be enabled by default and then the end user can disable)

2. I am also guessing that in order for this to work within the app, it will basically mean starting the Android TV app over from scratch. When I test this on my phone, it brings up another video which I have to stop. 

3. Is this also the reason why we can't play trailers within the Android TV app and have to go externally to the Youtube app. 

I really think that whether people like the idea or will just flat out disable it, its a solid idea to bring this to apps. 

For me, it's a feature that makes the whole Emby experience on another level compared to competitors. (other than the flawless playback, strm, quick scan times and server management)

It would be interesting to know if this is in the near future or miles away. 

1. I would enable this for my users, when I am on a web browser and a movie starts playing the trailer in the background, its just cool. (I also think that when it does happen, the feature should be enabled by default and then the end user can disable)

2. I am also guessing that in order for this to work within the app, it will basically mean starting the Android TV app over from scratch. When I test this on my phone, it brings up another video which I have to stop. 

3. Is this also the reason why we can't play trailers within the Android TV app and have to go externally to the Youtube app. 

I really think that whether people like the idea or will just flat out disable it, its a solid idea to bring this to apps. 

For me, it's a feature that makes the whole Emby experience on another level compared to competitors. (other than the flawless playback, strm, quick scan times and server management)

You are kind of talking about two different things here - I realize it may not seem like it from the user perspective.

The theme videos feature is designed to show actual theme videos for each item but, unfortunately, there is no free source for content like this.  So, some of the apps will try to use a trailer instead of a theme in its place if you don't have theme videos.  That, of course, requires that you have trailers.  We do source online trailers for most content but these usually come from YouTube and, as you surmised, this content is not easily playable on all platforms (in an integrated manner).

So, as for the specific feature of theme video support, that is something we'd like to get in all the apps. However, the lack of a free source for these videos makes it a bit tricky.  Since most people won't have these videos the feature won't work for them and, from just reading an option in a list of settings (Enable Theme Videos) it probably looks like they're going to get the videos, not just the ability to play them back IF they have them.  So, they will think it is "broken".

So, in order for this feature to work well in this app people will have to go out on their own and source content for it.  Most people won't do that which is the reason this hasn't been a higher priority to date.  It also is usually a feature most people think is "cool" for about a week and then turn off ;).

You are kind of talking about two different things here - I realize it may not seem like it from the user perspective.

The theme videos feature is designed to show actual theme videos for each item but, unfortunately, there is no free source for content like this.  So, some of the apps will try to use a trailer instead of a theme in its place if you don't have theme videos.  That, of course, requires that you have trailers.  We do source online trailers for most content but these usually come from YouTube and, as you surmised, this content is not easily playable on all platforms (in an integrated manner).

So, as for the specific feature of theme video support, that is something we'd like to get in all the apps. However, the lack of a free source for these videos makes it a bit tricky.  Since most people won't have these videos the feature won't work for them and, from just reading an option in a list of settings (Enable Theme Videos) it probably looks like they're going to get the videos, not just the ability to play them back IF they have them.  So, they will think it is "broken".

So, in order for this feature to work well in this app people will have to go out on their own and source content for it.  Most people won't do that which is the reason this hasn't been a higher priority to date.  It also is usually a feature most people think is "cool" for about a week and then turn off ;).

I have mp4's in with the mkv movie/series folders and this plugin works in some apps like Roku. Did I miss something about having to source them? I understand some titles may not have theme videos and am okay with that but to not have them at all because some titles have them missing is not desirable.

BTW, this feature is "on" on the Netflix App on my ShieldTV's and we have never had the desire to turn them off. They're still as "cool" now as they have always been.

jburgess

Thanks for the reply.

However, I myself use, theme videos plugin.

For 8£££ or what ever it is it's a bargain to ensure you content has that feature.

In regards to users thinking things are broken if theme videos do not work, under the option itself couldn't you just add "requires themes plugin" that way they won't even enable it if they don't have it.

I would argue that once it's there you wouldn't turn it off. What would be the point? It doesn't effect performance from I can tell using a browser and it loads pretty instantly and that's my ember server pulling the file from gdrive.

I really wish this was higher on the list of things to do. I know that is selfish when there are probably more important things but I think it would become a top feature.

In terms of the confusion with trailers, I meant that if you have the trailers in your folder with your movie, emby can play within the app. What I meant was, if you enable theme videos on Android mobile, it does the same thing as a trailer in the sense that it starts playing the theme and you have to stop it to get back to the movie page to select play.

I just think that, that would involve almost a rebuild of the app in order for that theme video to be playing in the background.

I have mp4's in with the mkv movie/series folders and this plugin works in some apps like Roku.

The Roku app does not currently support theme videos either...

Where did those mp4s come from?  Are they theme videos or are they actually local trailers?

In regards to users thinking things are broken if theme videos do not work, under the option itself couldn't you just add "requires themes plugin" that way they won't even enable it if they don't have it.

That plug-in is not one of our official Emby plug-ins so we don't want to depend on it.

We will be implementing this in the app. I was just explaining why it hasn't been a top priority to date.

• Like 1

jburgess

Just to add to the above, the fact that this topic gets so much attention it surely is worth considering this to become reality!

Also, imagine how cool it would be on a music library for an artist if you could add a custom video theme for that ;)

• Like 1

Well, maybe emby should aquire that plugin and make if official ;) lol

unfortunately, there is no free [legal] source for content like this. 

jburgess

Ahhh,

Well, I just hope that it does become a feature, especially with how nice the android TV app is looking these days.

Like you say, doesn't stop people sourcing their own stuff.

The Roku app does not currently support theme videos either...

Where did those mp4s come from?  Are they theme videos or are they actually local trailers?

First off, I was confusing it with the ET app.. (I'm thinking about why there isn't preview thumbs like in Roku when FFWD and RWD). I haven't used ET in about a year now.

Well it seems the that the backdrop.mp4's have been removed from my folders, maybe by an Emby media scan? IDK. They were there and placed there AFAIK by the Theme Videos Plugin but I could be all wrong here.. All I know is they worked in ET after I paid for and installed the plugin.

The question is, are theme videos copywrited? AFAIK, they would be considered "fair use" as they are only a clip..

The four fair use factors are as follows:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work, such as whether the work is fiction or non-fiction, published or unpublished;
  3. The amount of the work used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole, such as using a poem in its entirety, or using one chapter from a long book;
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for the copyrighted work.

https://www.baylor.edu/copyright/index.php?id=56543

Seems kind of odd to be concerned about it when the underlying mkv's aren't really supposed to exist (in the U.S.) anyhow as they can only exist by breaking the encryption keys on the disk.

Edited by Sammy

They were there and placed there AFAIK by the Theme Videos Plugin 

So you sourced them yourself by using a piece of software to go get them from somewhere.

Seems kind of odd to be concerned about it when the underlying mkv's aren't really supposed to exist (in the U.S.) anyhow as they can only exist by breaking the encryption keys on the disk.

Content can come from any number of legal avenues (recording, mobile copies from discs, etc.).  And so can the themes but they have to be put there by the end user because there is no place we can (legally) just go grab them (without paying someone for it).

• Like 1

So you sourced them yourself by using a piece of software to go get them from somewhere.

Content can come from any number of legal avenues (recording, mobile copies from discs, etc.).  And so can the themes but they have to be put there by the end user because there is no place we can (legally) just go grab them (without paying someone for it).

I suppose so..

At any rate, if legal content can be placed in the folder, it would be nice if Emby could display it as it does backdrop.jpg right now..

Please!

We will be implementing this in the app. I was just explaining why it hasn't been a top priority to date.

It's getting closer.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Scott310

I can say that for me personally this feature is very important. I wont use emby on my fire TV simply because it lacks video backdrops. For every movie I add to my server I check for a backdrop from @@radeon's tools. If there isn't one there I add it myself. The video backdrops are what sets emby apart from other competing software. It gives it that wow factor when people see it. For now I am still switching from fire TV back to the xbox to watch my collection. But if fire tv had the video backdrops that I have worked hard to collect, I think I would use the fire TV exclusively. For me it's the only thing that its lacking and a bit of a deal breaker meaning I won't use it and will continue using my xbox until its implemented.

• Like 2

Scott310

I

I would have to respectfully disagree that people would want it turned off after a week at least for the people that I have spoken to.  I know that there was a lot of people complaining about the netflix approach to video backdrops but that was only because they would play even if you haven't selected the movie.  It would happen just if you were scrolling over it.  Myself and my remote users love emby because you only get the video backdrop if you actually select the movie. Many of the people I have talked to have been waiting to make the switch to an android or fire tv box simply because this feature isn't there yet.  I would imagine once it's added there will be a big jump in downloads. But that's just from the people I have talked to. I agree that not everybody will source their own video backdrops but for those of us dedicated nerds, would it be that hard to just add the option to turn it on for us? My entire library has a video backdrop for almost every movie.  My family is wanting to use the fire tv for the ease of use but it makes me cringe when I don't see my video backdrop displayed :(.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Scott310

I would Bump this thread everyday if I could.  I am humbly begging at your mercy to make this feature a reality in Android / Fire TV!!!!

LOL

5c7c811ec817a_c5d5b517c9a526eb953dd4fd12

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...