#1 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2847 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:43 PM

OK, not exactly an Emby thing, but anyway - I've got a second gen Fire TV box which works fine but...I also see the Shield might be down to $140US for Prime Day. So am wondering is there any point moving from FTV to Shield bearing in mind its going to be plugged straight into a 'normal' TV. That's normal as in 1080p, no hdr anything, using the stereo tv speakers. No plans to upgrade to anything unless I accidentally drop the tv out the window.

• rikiwi likes this

#2 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1132 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

I don't have a shield so I won't speak to that. But I have 2 mi boxes and soon I will have 3. I am replacing my fire TV with a mi box. I like the experience with the mi boxes / official Google TV far better than Amazon. The emby app for mi box is better imho than the app for amazon, specifically because of the zoom function. When I watch interlaced sd tv on the fire there is a huge boarder. Same program on the mi box and it's a smaller boarder, use the zoom and virtually no boarder. I imagine the shield is very similar but if you are only going to use the shield for tv and stereo at that for half the money a mi box is very similar for that purpose.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

#3 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1132 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

O also for some reason all the mi boxes I see on Amazon are way over priced. They are cheaper at Walmart.

#4 maegibbons OFFLINE  

maegibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2327 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 PM
  • LocationLutterworth, England, UK

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

If it aint broke dont fix it!!

Keep the FTV

Spend the dollars on a nice meal out!

Krs

Mark

• HRSCR likes this

#5 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2847 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:33 PM

Interesting - don't seem to get any big borders on interlaced SD TV round here on Fire TV. Think I get big borders on ripped interlaced DVDs though (not that I've actually played any for a while).

And I'm still resisting, only 1hr13min to go before the offer expires. Get thee behind me Satan....

More likely to use the money saved on a nice new HDD (un)fortunately.

#6 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1132 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

I have huge boarders on disney junior with the amazon fire tv. I havent tested it out yet with the new stable build of the server so i dont know if it has changed. But ya this was common before:5b4e8021490ff_IMG_20171217_075951.jpg

#7 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2847 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:19 PM

Well just checked and SD TV seems to be fine here and DVDs are actually pretty reasonable as well. Can't actually see a zoom function though pretty sure it used to have one. Don't know why Disney Junior should be any different unless thats how its actually broadcast, which also seems unlikely.

#8 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1132 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

Well just checked and SD TV seems to be fine here and DVDs are actually pretty reasonable as well. Can't actually see a zoom function though pretty sure it used to have one. Don't know why Disney Junior should be any different unless thats how its actually broadcast, which also seems unlikely.

Ya, i think for the fire tv zoom was pulled out, it used to be there but it didnt work well. Funny enough if i use vlc i can use the zoom in vlc to fill the screen. Like i said though soon i am replacing it with a mi box. Lord knows how its transmitted, during commercials the dam screen re-sizes also. Not sure what the mi box does differently but it handles this all much better it might even all just be software also since the amazon devices use a "customized" version of android and the mi boxes use a much more official version. 

• arrbee99 likes this

#9 HRSCR OFFLINE  

HRSCR

Behind the tree

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

There's a guy who do a showdown, maybe helps... 

#10 clarkss12 OFFLINE  

clarkss12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

Got this one on order, but back ordered until Aug. 3, 2018.  Should be a small improvement on the Xiaomi Mibox for a couple bucks more.  72.99 USD, with free shipping.

MECOOL KM8 Google Certified Android TV Box with Voice Remote - S905X Android 8.0 2/16GB VP9 HDR10 Dolby Audio YT 4K. This is a quote from Trebor from Freaktab about this box.

"I am advised 

1- Support Youtube 4K
2- Support Netflix The 4K certificate will come down after three months and will update in the box, now this box support Netflix 1080 or 720"

https://www.gearbest...tml?wid=1433363

Edited by clarkss12, 18 July 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#11 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 134814 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Is it going to have a dolby sticker on the box, but not actually have a dolby license for decoding, just like the last one?

• kanipek likes this

#12 clarkss12 OFFLINE  

clarkss12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:39 PM

Is it going to have a dolby sticker on the box, but not actually have a dolby license for decoding, just like the last one?

If you are referring to the box that I just posted about, then I don't have an answer for that question.   However, Trebor from Freaktab, advised me to cancel my order, and that I would understand later........ No, idea what he meant, but will follow his advice.  These boxes are getting sooo close to competing with the better and more expensive devices.  

Again, I do not have a Shield to compare, and more than likely never will.  I even gave away my only Xiaomi Mibox to one of my grandkids, because I never used it.  I still have one Nexus Player in one of the bedrooms, but does not get used.

#13 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46104 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

Don't know why Disney Junior should be any different unless thats how its actually broadcast, which also seems unlikely.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it is broadcast.

#14 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2847 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:01 AM

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it is broadcast.

Perfect use case for zoom function...

#15 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1132 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

Well I now use a mi box on all my tvs. Lol Disney junior is still not ideal at least on latest stable client and server. Zoom function helps but I have boarders on the left and right. This was with the zoom options out of the options for zoom this one filled the screen the most. Have not tried vlc yet but I bet it can fill the screen.da65b4444513356e3be349bdf2c00b50.jpg

#16 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2847 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

But surely the answer is obvious - get a bigger TV*  :)

5b53b251a19cd_EmbyBigTV.jpg

*I feel no guilt about this suggestion, as its not my money.

• cayars likes this

#17 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1132 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

Lol yea that would never pass the CFO approval aka my wife. However this is what Disney junior looks like in vlc with zoom set to fill.b721767393ae2f76cdab8414cb62ef02.jpg

#18 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1132 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

Ok now I am confused, I switched back to using mpv and it fills the screen... I have no idea what's going on.

#19 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2847 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

Might be worth just writing down what versions of software you're on for everything you can think of - server version, app version, mibox android version, just in case, might be useful.

#20 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1132 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Might be worth just writing down what versions of software you're on for everything you can think of - server version, app version, mibox android version, just in case, might be useful.

The versions havent changed. All i did was use vlc briefly and then go back to using mpv in like 5 minutes span of time. Also FWIW after the last major annoyance with the client and auto update i disabled updates on my client devices.

Edited by tdiguy, 21 July 2018 - 08:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shield, Fire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users